Thread: Servicing costs, Extended warranty, Depreciation and running costs

Servicing costs, Extended warranty, Depreciation and running costs

For those of us pondering life outside Motability I have researched numerous possible car options and servicing costs vary massively.
    Two similar cars, C Class and 3 series both offer a service plan. BMW charge £399 for a fully inclusive 3 year/36000 mile package whilst Mercedes charge £35 a month for something similar, £1260 in total.
    The Suzuki Vitara is described by the motoring press as having "cheap" servicing yet the 1.4 petrol I enquired after needs a service every year or 9000 miles. As someone who drives around 16000 miles a year I would be looking at 5 services in the first 3 years at a cost of over £1500.
    Some manufacturers offer an all inclusive package, Honda charge £900 for a 5 year service and warranty package, excellent value.
    Extended warranties vary from manufacturer too. Some need to be procured within 30 days of purchase, some after the standard warranty has expired and some are via a 3rd party, often an insurer. Some allow repairs at the main dealer and others do not.
    Real life MPG sites offer a flavour of likely MPG and tyre costs vary hugely too as do brakes and other routine maintenance items. Insurance quotes need to be considered too.
    Finally, depreciation is likely to be the biggest cost of all and this can only be forecast and the reality could be totally different.
    These are all financial matters to be considered when deciding on a car which at present (fuel consumption excepted) are taken care of by Motability who also bear the risk.
    I hope this will give food for thought for those who embark on the journey.
    Last edited by fwipperie; 05-04-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Hi I spoke to the garage my car comes from today, he has told me that if my car goes back in 6 months, they can offer me a car on finance under 3 years old for less than I am paying now with mobility, but then you have other things to consider like insurance, service etc what you have to pay on top. I hope it doesn't come to this.
    Thank you for that though.

Fwipperie bear in mind bmw dont need servicing till 18k miles or 2 years and if your low ish mileage could just pay the 1 service which I will get ex vat so around the 200 quid mark

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Fwipperie bear in mind bmw dont need servicing till 18k miles or 2 years and if your low ish mileage could just pay the 1 service which I will get ex vat so around the 200 quid mark
    A valid point. The 3 Series I would consider has a 24 month/30000 mile service so I would consider paying for the service as I would look to sell the car at 3 years. The Suzuki Vitara would need a service every 7 months given my mileage. Crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by fwipperie View Post
    A valid point. The 3 Series I would consider has a 24 month/30000 mile service so I would consider paying for the service as I would look to sell the car at 3 years. The Suzuki Vitara would need a service every 7 months given my mileage. Crazy!
    30k miles for a service jeez thats a lot sounds like just asking for trouble my x3 as I say is 18k or 2 years.
    Motability probably just do the same and pay for the one service on there cars. I did look at the service plan myself (which I would get ex vat) but just the one service is fine. Although the car monitors itself and will tell me when the service is due on the car. Either way glad I dont have to find 2400+ deposits for 2.0 mpv on motability.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Hi thank you for that, we haven't even made it to 5000 in the first year, my last car only had 18000 in three years.

Blimey well the car will countdown on the dash when the service is due or if you look in the I drive under connected drive it tells you how everything is going on the car also