Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: wet room

Well as my previous posts are still missing since the forum up/downgrade here's the latest.

Came this morning and ripped out the shower etc. found the whole floor to be soaking wet which would explain the smelly wet patch in my sons room and my passage laminate expanding and blobbing up

Plan now is for the landlord to bring several dehumidifiers and run them for a week (or two!), if they don't sort it then my sons bedroom floor and the passage will have to be ripped up and replaced, that won't go well

Talking to my neighbour 2 doors down they had the same thing, ended up having the entire place re-floored so hopefully not that bad!.

As of now we're without a toilet (hopefully being sorted later today) and looks like no shower for at least a week or possibly two as they can't do anything until the "damp" has gone, not so much damp as a completely soaking wet floor
    Last edited by phaedra; 08-07-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Well after a couple of annoyed phone calls they came back at 4pm and fitted a toilet (phew!).

Housing Association man turned up at 4:30, no dehumidifiers, knew nothing about it, just came to look at "the damp", even he struggled to describe it as "damp". Coming back tomorrow with the dehumidifier, apparently very noisy and expensive to run

Well here we are 8 days later and nothings changed, dehumidifier has been running for a week at about £3 a day, still wet in the corners and in my passage and sons bedroom floor.

Hopefully putting the walls in during the week and the floor in by Friday when it's had more time to dry.

Looks like after the bathroom is done my housing association will be coming and ripping up the passage and my sons bedroom floors so that will be fun

West Cumbria (Lake District)
    You want it to be dried out before they start the bathroom work.

If they give the walls/floor a waterproof covering when still damp underneath then how will they ever dry out?
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Dehumidifier got rid of most of it just a couple of inches round the edges. He's put the wooden floor and shower tray in, ran the drain right across to the other side of the room next to where the radiator is supposed to be so we are getting another whale pump

Also not getting another electric shower, he's connecting it up to the combi boiler which I'm not happy about as there's not a lot of hot water pressure and it takes ages to get to the bathroom to start with. My OT rang today as she's just found out it was delayed a week, told her what has been going on and she doesn't seem happy with them, she's going to speak to the housing improvement agency as they laid out what should be done and the firm have to comply with that.

Meanwhile I've moved my son into the living room (with his PC) for the next couple of days as his room still smells, I've put the dehumidifier in there for a couple of days to dry out the wet patch in his floor.

From what I can see it def. looks like the passage (hallway) floor with have to be replaced and probably his bedroom and some of mine which will be a pain as the hallway and my room have laminate flooring fitted.

Well, the one plus point in my favour relates to my kitchen and bathroom flooring - it's solid as in concrete so no rotting floorboards.

I don't even have a conventional floor covering. I have wood effect 'Floatex'. Rot proof, warm under foot, guaranteed 20 years and non-slip.

Your shower . . . I'm surprised that they want to install an electric shower as it could be dangerous.

I have a Thermostatic shower - once the temperature is reached it remains constant - no scolding if the washing machine goes on a rinse cycle!

They want to add an electric shower because they are cheap to install - they should know better!

Sounds horrendous your experience to date - it can only get better.

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear, they're fitting a Mira Select Flex, thermostatically controlled and fed from the combi-boiler not an electric one like we had.

There's not a huge amount of hot water pressure in the bathroom so no idea how it will be.

Chap said ours is a "floating house" so big concrete slabs topped by insulation and wooden floor panels (like loft boarding).

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post

There's not a huge amount of hot water pressure in the bathroom so no idea how it will be.
    My shower was installed 18 years ago and works as well as the first day I turned it on. Mine has two shower heads - one fixed and the other attached to a flexible hose.

It works off water pressure. I had to have a raised platform in the attic and the plumbers added two new cold water tanks . My fixed shower head is 6 inches in diameter - it's like showering in a tropical down pour.

It could have been adapted and made into a power shower but there was bo need.

The suppliers still sell my exact shower today as it first appeared in the year 1900 - 117 years ago! lol

Ooh that looks nice

I rang the contractors boss tonight, I was reading about noise on the Whale pump website and picked up on a couple of things.

Whale say to use 15mm pipe from the shower drain and not 22mm, they've put 22mm

Whale say not to have any 90 degree bends, use a sloping/rounded bend to reduce the noise, I have a 90 degree bend at the end where it comes up from the floor to where the pump will be.

As soon as I mentioned them he said "You've been on the Whale site" Apparently the pipe has to be 22mm as it's a mixer shower and he reckons the bend makes no difference to the noise. No doubt we'll see when it's finished (hopefully) on Friday.

And just to round things off, no idea what they've been doing with the plumbing (as I was out this afternoon) but when I went to do the washing up I got 1/2 a sink of hot water and the boiler is now flashing fault E7 so no hot water and no heating in the house at all.

According to the manufacturer it means either no water pressure (there is) no water (there is) or there's a huge amount of air in the system which is the most probable. Housing agency say 24hr emergency repair so I have to be in for the next 24hrs!.
    Last edited by phaedra; 08-16-2017 at 09:31 PM.

hi e7 is water pressure on our system an easy to put right ask the contractor about it when they arrive regards palmer