Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spam Posts (and what to do about them).

While the changes have made it easier and quicker to add comments on a thread.

I have noticed that the spam posts usually have a link attached to an external website, have not seen them all so might be incorrect. I do not know the technicalities but having those with such attachments sent for moderation/checking might help.

I am one of those who do attach information now and again, it is also usually 'new members', spam bots I know, but show as a new member, so limiting the ability of a new member to attach links, or have them sent for a check, though it would slow down things for them if making attachments on first posts, though I would imagine this is very rare anyway.

As noted before, put stronger spam filters in place and some genuine posts will start getting moderated again.

The answer is to have mods who are more active and log on several time a day to remove the spam posts from view.

Christmas, November/December is always a busy time for spam. Even spammers want to advertise more at christmas.

Just ignore the stuff and read the genuine posts.

One thing I will note (and have noted in the past with other forums) is that the increase in spam started shortly after the forum started adding advertising.
    There seems to be a direct link. Putting adverts on your forum brings it to the attention of the spammers.
    Probably someone is selling/distributing a list of forums that have advertising.
    Too late now, as with junk letters/phone calls, once on these lists it's almost impossible to get off them again.

Note to Admin,
    I've been moderating a VBulletin forum for 10+ years.
    There are simple tactics I can suggest to help, especially at xmas, but they will mean increased attention/time taken for moderation.
    Obviously I'm not putting them in plain sight.
    You have my email if you want to get in touch.
    Last edited by nukecad; 11-28-2017 at 12:20 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Getting so fed up of having to filter out the numerous spam posts from the genuine ones. More and more are appearing. What is DLF going to do about it? Nothing by the looks of it.
    Spam filters need upgrading URGENTLY.

It's not just here, two other forums that I visit regularly, one technical one housing, are also seeing this same spam (exactly the same spambot).

One of them has turned up the spam filters - and is now getting complaints about user posts going to moderation 'unnecessarily'.

It's a tightrope moderation filters have to walk- a few spam posts getting through and no userposts getting moderated, or no spam posts getting through and a few userposts getting moderated.
    The Admin for each site has to decide which route to take for their particular site.

As there used to be regular moans on here about posts getting moderated by the spam filters Admin has obviously decided to let a bit of spam get through and keep the user posts out of moderation.

If you could see just how much spam you don't see (if you see what I mean) you would realise just how little is getting through.
    It's like trying to stop the tide at this time of year. (I hate christmas spammers).

As I said in my last post it's a christmas thing that happens every year, the spam will calm down again once christmas has gone.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    It's not just here, two other forums that I visit regularly, one technical one housing, are also seeing this same spam (exactly the same spambot).

One of them has turned up the spam filters - and is now getting complaints about user posts going to moderation 'unnecessarily'.

It's a tightrope moderation filters have to walk- a few spam posts getting through and no userposts getting moderated, or no spam posts getting through and a few userposts getting moderated.
    The Admin for each site has to decide which route to take for their particular site.

As there used to be regular moans on here about posts getting moderated by the spam filters Admin has obviously decided to let a bit of spam get through and keep the user posts out of moderation.

If you could see just how much spam you don't see (if you see what I mean) you would realise just how little is getting through.
    It's like trying to stop the tide at this time of year. (I hate christmas spammers).

As I said in my last post it's a christmas thing that happens every year, the spam will calm down again once christmas has gone.
    Excellent post and good news. On topic of the 25th, I see the newspapers who were forecasting a "white" Christmas are now forecasting a "tropical" one!

New notice on the forum homepage:
    The DLF offices will close on Friday 22 December and reopen on Tuesday 2 January.

The forum will be open during the holiday period, however posts may not be moderated.

New registration will be turned off during these dates as any queries including registration will not be dealt with until after the holiday period. This is also to prevent spam abuse and attack on the forum.

The DLF moderating team would like to wish all forum users a Happy Christmas and New Year.
    That's the best way to stop (most of) it for a short period. Just a pity for anyone new needing help over xmas.
    Existing members are still able to post.

You may still see some spam from spammers who already registered but haven't posted yet, but it shouldn't be much if any.

Whatever Admin have changed this week seems to be working for now.

EDIT-
    Looking further it seems that the forum has been closed to new registrations again. (They same as they did over xmas).
    While this does stop the spammers it also means that nobody who has a genuine problem can register to get help.

I've had to do this myself in the past on another forum when spam attacks got too heavy.
    It is not a solution but a short term, temporary, measure.
    (Without new members a forum will 'die').
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-07-2018 at 06:54 AM.

Hi Nukecad and other Youreable members,

New registration was turned off briefly yesterday afternoon, it's back on now.

Work is still ongoing - we'll keep you updated on progress.

From the DLF team

Quote Originally Posted by dlfteam View Post
    New registration was turned off briefly yesterday afternoon, it's back on now.
    I'm afraid that it isn't.

Either from the forum itself, or from yourable.com, the register and sign up buttons both lead to the same 'PAGE NOT FOUND'.
    http://www.youreable.com/forums/yanewuser_register.php

PS. on yourable.com the 'GET STARTED' button at the bottom right gives a Google 'This site may harm your computer' error.

Registration is working now.

For any queries regarding functionality etc please email us directly at Youreable.Forum@dlf.org.uk
    This will ensure a quicker response.

Thanks.

From the DLF team
    Last edited by dlfteam; 02-07-2018 at 04:13 PM.