Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Preperation of a car shortlist

Preperation of a car shortlist

The task of choosing one's next Motability car is both arduous and complex in nature. One could simply plump for one but to do the whole process justice a great degree of research is required. Sadly the dealers are all closed today, and tomorrow, but thankfully the internet remains open and provides a great deal of information. Once the new prices are released in a weeks time the provisional shortlist can be compared and cross referenced to the available cars and he task of test driving, comparing specifications and looking at cost issues can be explored further. These include advance payments and real life fuel consumption Currently I have a short list of 11 cars which might reduce or increase when we have sight of prices. There does now appear a premium for a diesel powered car as Motability Operations factor in higher depreciation for diesel vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by fwipperie View Post
    The task of choosing one's next Motability car is both arduous and complex in nature. One could simply plump for one but to do the whole process justice a great degree of research is required. Sadly the dealers are all closed today, and tomorrow, but thankfully the internet remains open and provides a great deal of information. Once the new prices are released in a weeks time the provisional shortlist can be compared and cross referenced to the available cars and he task of test driving, comparing specifications and looking at cost issues can be explored further. These include advance payments and real life fuel consumption Currently I have a short list of 11 cars which might reduce or increase when we have sight of prices. There does now appear a premium for a diesel powered car as Motability Operations factor in higher depreciation for diesel vehicles.
    Process now underway, some cars dismissed others shortlisted, more to see.

Quote Originally Posted by fwipperie View Post
    Process now underway, some cars dismissed others shortlisted, more to see.
    Honda CR-V a big dissapointment. Loose door trims and uncomfortable seats. Skoda Kodiaq and Karoq also miss out on shortlist. High AP and uninspiring interior, coupled with high fuel consumption and modest performance. Some VW cars to view tomorrow and Toyota RAV4 and a Mitsubishi next week. Still deciding about CLA and GLA class, very high AP. Will probably wait for q2 prices before deciding as am hoping there may be a slightly wider choice. At present the BMW X1 is streets ahead. Lower AP, 4WD, comfy seats, well equipped, good performance and practical with a raised driving position. Mini Countryman also a possibility but as previously discussed lacks climate control. PHEV not too attractive as reports from main dealers say the 25 mile range is nearer 8-10 in reality and once battery's depleted performance can suffer. Charging from a standard electic socket takes hours and given our house and garden layout could become problematic.if it's a Mini therfore it would have to be the highest powered diesel, albeit around £1k of extras would be needed and probably rule it out on costs. The interior is not entirely to my taste either.
    Last edited by fwipperie; 01-04-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Shame there isn't a Like function on these forums rather thank having to reply to a post. Nevertheless thanks for keeping us posted

You and others that have not come across it may find the following interesting:

http://www.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/motability-questions/
    &
    https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk...ar-main-forum/

You do not need to be a member to browse, gives links to useful information, price guides, upcoming and news on cars. The forum useful as has input from suppliers reps, users of motability scheme and others who have cars being discussed, or can help on topics, such as where to find offers.

Good source of information

Today I concluded my car search. Have now seen VW Passat and Tiguan, Nissan X Trail, Toyota Rav4 and BMW 3 series and X! again. The X trail is a possibility behind X1 with tiguan in 3rd spot. 3 series has far too low seating, Passat impractical and Rav4 seats uncomfortable. Will see if XC40 will be available as Volvo seats top class. Cant do anything until late March which will involve a couple of test drives. Time to relax and take in the darts and upcoming snooker and indoor bowls.

Interesting thread in the link that mzmps posted above under the title of CASHBACK where Motability customers are or can get cash back deals with their cars.

I’ve asked this question many times back in 2008, 2011 and 2014 when ordering Motability cars and all I’ve ever seen was maybe a dealers umbrella or a key ring but never heard of anyone getting anything like £500 back.
    https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk...opic/cashback/

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    Interesting thread in the link that mzmps posted above under the title of CASHBACK where Motability customers are or can get cash back deals with their cars.

I’ve asked this question many times back in 2008, 2011 and 2014 when ordering Motability cars and all I’ve ever seen was maybe a dealers umbrella or a key ring but never heard of anyone getting anything like £500 back.
    https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk...opic/cashback/
    Quite a few dealers will offer incentives. I had a good deal on extras and will ask what incentives are available, if you don't ask you won't get.

The Mazda CX-5 back on Motability list, in 2.2D SE L Nav & Sport Nav (FWD Only).