Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PIP Mobility Award

PIP Mobility Award

I'm sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but despite having searched through the many threads in the forum, can't really find any advice/answer.
    I will try to be as brief but as accurate as possible.

My current situation is this:

I am now into the more advanced stages of Parkinsons Decease, having been diagnosed 6 years ago.
    Having been awarded the PIP Enhanced Daily Living payment 16 months ago, my mobility was "Assessed" to be more than adequate for normal daily function, despite having been on a walking stick for some months by that time. Consequently, I was not given the mobility award.
    Now 16 months down the line, I am about to apply for the Mobility part again as my condition has worsened to the point where I very rarely leave the house due to the sheer lack of physical movement and more often than not, some degree of pain associated with walking.
    If I use two walking sticks, I can sometimes make the bottom of the garden (15 meters) though rarely attempt this as I obviously have to be able to get back again!

Am I correct in thinking that the mobility factor is based solely on the two questions in the original assessment paperwork, namely
    Planning and Following A Journey and Moving Around?

I have appointments with both my Parkinson's nurse (at home six-monthly unless I arrange more) and my Consultant (at hospital annually unless I need more) over the next two weeks, and want to apply for the mobility award asap after these appointments.

I do not have my own car, cannot use public transport and REALLY need the award this time around.
    I am becoming more reclusive (a medically long-recognised symptom of the condition) as the months go on, and am now feeling like a prisoner in my own home (Sorry if that sounds dramatic, but I can't explain it any other way)

Thank you for taking the time to read through all of this.
    Last edited by guardian9622; 01-19-2018 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Typo

Hi
    Yes, mobility is awarded on those two descriptors
    Anything expressed is my opinion only and is offered in good faith. It is either from my own experiance or what I have learned on my journey. Take it for what it is or leave it alone. With best wishes D.

Ok. Thanks David.
    I guess I'll have to wait until all my appointments are out of the way.

Are you getting any help with this change of circumstances?

if you aren't then I think this is a good guide to help you. It gives suggestions about what you can write about each descriptor and, I believe, covers all the main points.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be.../fill-in-form/

Also have a look at evidence you need to send.

Wishing you well.

I think we should badger our MP’s to get the name of Personal Independence Payments change to Personal Imprisonment Payments as this reflects the true nature of this benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by pmlindyloo View Post
    Are you getting any help with this change of circumstances?

if you aren't then I think this is a good guide to help you. It gives suggestions about what you can write about each descriptor and, I believe, covers all the main points.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be.../fill-in-form/

Also have a look at evidence you need to send.

Wishing you well.
    Hiya.
    Thanks for your reply.

No direct help, but am hoping my PD nurse can help (preferably fill it out for me, because I cannot hold a pen anymore Typing this reply is a nightmare as my hands shake so much, I end up with 30 characters before I hit the right Key! Lol)
    I haven't left the house since Dec 16th other than to attend an unavoidable appointment (Dental).
    Looking back at my original post, "Prisoner" is exactly the CORRECT description of how I feel. Plus, the longer the reclusive existence goes on (I can't help it) the harder the cycle is to break.... :/

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    I think we should badger our MP’s to get the name of Personal Independence Payments change to Personal Imprisonment Payments as this reflects the true nature of this benefit.
    For sure ChrisK, and I'm only getting worse unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by guardian9622 View Post
    Typing this reply is a nightmare as my hands shake so much, I end up with 30 characters before I hit the right Key! Lol)
    Have you tried speech to text software?

Windows now includes it as standard,
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...to-text-guide/
    and of course there are other products available.

A few members here use it sucessfully, they may be along to give more information.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by guardian9622 View Post
    Hiya.
    Thanks for your reply.

No direct help, but am hoping my PD nurse can help (preferably fill it out for me, because I cannot hold a pen anymore Typing this reply is a nightmare as my hands shake so much, I end up with 30 characters before I hit the right Key! Lol)
    I haven't left the house since Dec 16th other than to attend an unavoidable appointment (Dental).
    Looking back at my original post, "Prisoner" is exactly the CORRECT description of how I feel. Plus, the longer the reclusive existence goes on (I can't help it) the harder the cycle is to break.... :/

I don’t know how you feel, but you’re not alone, my wife has left the house 2 times since September, both times to her mums, in her mums car and pre arranged by 2 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Have you tried speech to text software?

Windows now includes it as standard,
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...to-text-guide/
    and of course there are other products available.

A few members here use it sucessfully, they may be along to give more information.
    Thanks for that Nukecad. No I wasn't aware of it. I will look into that today