Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Car Ordered, Grant Team Contacted

  1. #1

    Car Ordered, Grant Team Contacted

    Just wanted to say thank you to those who gave the tip about VW Oxford offering £500 off. I was starting to find tho whole process a little intimidating. Every test drive I felt pressured to place an order! Anyway I ended up placing one at a VW in Poole, no discounts and was told it was a drive week factory build which I was ok about. The following week I got told it’s now 18 weeks which I wasn’t ok about. Not only that, I was told I couldn’t track my car as motability customers aren’t able... what a load of rubbish that was!

    Anyway.. after posting about getting advice for the grants team, someone mentioned about a VW dealer in Oxford offering £500 off the advance payment. They were extremely punctural at communicating with me and saw me the same day I emailed. Ordered my car, the VW Tiguan SEL AUTO and am paying £2139 instead of £2659. To me that makes a huge difference. I added keyless entry and electric tailgate. Not only that, they managed to source the exact modal in the colour I wanted with added option and I will get around March 1st. Only a 6 week wait... amazing.

    Now, the only tricky part is I have around £1500 to put towards the balance so contacted the grants team. They are suggesting other cars? To me this makes no sense as I test drive so many cars and the Tiguan was the one that offered me the best seat support and visuals. Not only that I’ve had a VW previously so feel confident driving it. My disability all stems from a car accident (non fault) and I do experience travel anxiety so I’m getting a little nervous if I have to get a car I’ve never had before. I wonder if they take any of that into consideration?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by cbchapman View Post
    Just wanted to say thank you to those who gave the tip about VW Oxford offering £500 off. I was starting to find tho whole process a little intimidating. Every test drive I felt pressured to place an order! Anyway I ended up placing one at a VW in Poole, no discounts and was told it was a drive week factory build which I was ok about. The following week I got told it’s now 18 weeks which I wasn’t ok about. Not only that, I was told I couldn’t track my car as motability customers aren’t able... what a load of rubbish that was!

    Anyway.. after posting about getting advice for the grants team, someone mentioned about a VW dealer in Oxford offering £500 off the advance payment. They were extremely punctural at communicating with me and saw me the same day I emailed. Ordered my car, the VW Tiguan SEL AUTO and am paying £2139 instead of £2659. To me that makes a huge difference. I added keyless entry and electric tailgate. Not only that, they managed to source the exact modal in the colour I wanted with added option and I will get around March 1st. Only a 6 week wait... amazing.

    Now, the only tricky part is I have around £1500 to put towards the balance so contacted the grants team. They are suggesting other cars? To me this makes no sense as I test drive so many cars and the Tiguan was the one that offered me the best seat support and visuals. Not only that I’ve had a VW previously so feel confident driving it. My disability all stems from a car accident (non fault) and I do experience travel anxiety so I’m getting a little nervous if I have to get a car I’ve never had before. I wonder if they take any of that into consideration?
    You only have £1500, but ordered a Tiguan SEL with AWD and highest engine output, when you could have easily ordered a standard Tiguan SEL 2 wheel drive 150 bhp for £1999 minus your £500 = £1499, but you want a charity to pay the difference? and you are driving a car on the highway but suffer from travel anxiety ?
    Last edited by Oscarmax; 01-25-2018 at 07:11 PM.

  3. #3
    I agree with Oscarmax..........

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscarmax View Post
    You only have £1500, but ordered a Tiguan SEL with AWD and highest engine output, when you could have easily ordered a standard Tiguan SEL 2 wheel drive 150 bhp for £1999 minus your £500 = £1499, but you want a charity to pay the difference? and you are driving a car on the highway but suffer from travel anxiety ?
    I don't know how grants work but it's possible they might suggest a lower powered (and cheaper) version of the same car?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by fwipperie View Post
    I don't know how grants work but it's possible they might suggest a lower powered (and cheaper) version of the same car?
    I would give the keyless option a miss, it make a very easy target for thieves and would save you £380, the electric tailgate is about £320 of the top of my head plus £1999 for the upfront for your car, is it possible you could go down a grade to the SE which would bring you within your £1500 budget ?
    Last edited by Oscarmax; 01-26-2018 at 10:55 AM. Reason: misunderstood original posting

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lighttouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    3,604
    If you are working then phone Access to Work to ask for a contriution towards the deposit. As long as you can demonstrate trying to source money towards the deposit AND put forward a reason why no other vehicle is suitable e.g. you feel more confident driving a VW and it meets your access needs.

    If you tell them you need £1500 they'll ask what you could contribute - just say £200 and that'll be fine.

    NOTE If you've already signed on the dotted line and you've committed yourself to a lease/hire agreement then Access to Work won't offer any money.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by cbchapman View Post
    Just wanted to say thank you to those who gave the tip about VW Oxford offering £500 off. I was starting to find tho whole process a little intimidating. Every test drive I felt pressured to place an order! Anyway I ended up placing one at a VW in Poole, no discounts and was told it was a drive week factory build which I was ok about. The following week I got told it’s now 18 weeks which I wasn’t ok about. Not only that, I was told I couldn’t track my car as motability customers aren’t able... what a load of rubbish that was!

    Anyway.. after posting about getting advice for the grants team, someone mentioned about a VW dealer in Oxford offering £500 off the advance payment. They were extremely punctural at communicating with me and saw me the same day I emailed. Ordered my car, the VW Tiguan SEL AUTO and am paying £2139 instead of £2659. To me that makes a huge difference. I added keyless entry and electric tailgate. Not only that, they managed to source the exact modal in the colour I wanted with added option and I will get around March 1st. Only a 6 week wait... amazing.
    Now, the only tricky part is I have around £1500 to put towards the balance so contacted the grants team. They are suggesting other cars? To me this makes no sense as I test drive so many cars and the Tiguan was the one that offered me the best seat support and visuals. Not only that I’ve had a VW previously so feel confident driving it. My disability all stems from a car accident (non fault) and I do experience travel anxiety so I’m getting a little nervous if I have to get a car I’ve never had before. I wonder if they take any of that into consideration?
    I would have a look at the BMW X1 power tailgate standard, the X1 sport with the more supportive seat and 8 speed auto £1399.00 plus you could always argue a discount?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscarmax View Post
    You only have £1500, but ordered a Tiguan SEL with AWD and highest engine output, when you could have easily ordered a standard Tiguan SEL 2 wheel drive 150 bhp for £1999 minus your £500 = £1499, but you want a charity to pay the difference? and you are driving a car on the highway but suffer from travel anxiety ?

    I haven’t ordered the AWD so I’m not sure where you have got that from? I ordered the 2WD Auto in the Sel because it meets my needs. Isn’t that why we all choose a car? No need to be so judgemental. All of my issues are to do with my back and neck so I require the seating to be comfy, able to position the chair correctly and have sufficient lumbar support. The SE range doesn’t offer that at all. The tailgate it’s required because again due to my back injury I am unable to pull the weight of the boot lid down. Also where have I said I’m driving the car on the highway? Seriously you presumed numerous things and I actually find your comments rude. This is a support forum not a place to judge people.
    Last edited by cbchapman; 02-01-2018 at 12:09 AM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by fwipperie View Post
    I don't know how grants work but it's possible they might suggest a lower powered (and cheaper) version of the same car?
    There isn’t a lowered powered version? I choose the 150bhp which is the lowest one. The spec chosen SEL is because of the seats that come with it which I require for my disability. Choosing the lower spec and adding the seats costs even more than getting the SEl. Unfortunately someone above decided to presume and judge what I had ordered!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscarmax View Post
    I would give the keyless option a miss, it make a very easy target for thieves and would save you £380, the electric tailgate is about £320 of the top of my head plus £1999 for the upfront for your car, is it possible you could go down a grade to the SE which would bring you within your £1500 budget ?
    I have keyless entry on my current car so it’s something I am used to and have never has any issues with security. It also means I can walk away from the car and it self locks and I do have a tendancy to forget to lock the car so I thought this would be better in terms of security. In terms of the model and spec, unfortunately you presumed I ordered a different variant. I ordered the 2WD and the 150BHP which is the lowest engine spec. I went for the SEL because of the seats. They offer 14 way adjustable support and because of my neck and back issues I require seats to support me. The SE doesn’t have this and to add it on it costs more than the SEl so I thought that was the sensible thing to do?

    The car is £1500 because the dealership were offering a deal so that’s covered by the money I have put aside. I’m at a shortfall of £639 for the keyless entry and tailgate, they took £20 off this too. That is what I’m asking motability grants to help towards.
    Last edited by cbchapman; 02-01-2018 at 12:04 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Lifetime DLA to PIP, already ordered a new car!?
    By Louloux in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-22-2016, 07:51 AM
  2. DWP haven't contacted me about severe disability premium
    By karljt in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2016, 09:57 AM
  3. New car ordered!!!
    By Shorty in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-29-2016, 09:50 PM
  4. New Car Ordered
    By DizzyDee in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 11:15 PM
  5. New car ordered !!!
    By Maureen in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-26-2013, 01:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •