Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost UC50. Any advice please!

Lost UC50. Any advice please!

Hi everyone
    Sent my UC50 back by special next day delivery on 22nd January ( was due by 24th).
    Called DWP last week and they said there was nothing on the system but it can sometimes take a week or so to put it on.
    Tried tracking the letter today and it says not signed for so called Royal Mail and they said as it’s been 2 weeks they have to report it lost but to call the recipient to to make sure they hadn’t received it so just called up DWP and still not in system, spoke to someone called Sharon who said it may have been sent straight to Atos handling site, she made a note in the system to say I was chasing it.
    I asked her if this would affect my payment mid February and she said not at all, if they didn’t receive it they’d just send out a new form etc, not sure I believe her though.
    As I have the postage proof with the postcode etc this is no fault of mine. Can’t believe this and to think I paid £6.45 to ensure it got there the next day. It’s been 2 weeks since I sent it and I’ve had no reminders letters so not sure what’s going on. Will they just not pay me now?

Sorry for the long post just a bit anxious.
    Last edited by Pau; 02-07-2018 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Wrong name

Ring CDHA (Maximus) to check if they have received it or not. (Atos haven't done WCAs for a couple of years now).

It's a freephone number 0800 288 8777

I rang them yesterday to ask about my ESA50 and it was simple - press option #, press option #, 2 rings and it was answered.
    Within 3 minutes we had sorted that they had received it and it was awaiting processing.

At least you will know one way or the other.

The DWP don't open ESA50s or UC50s, they are collected together at the DWP mail centre and then couriered directly to the CDHA assesment centre.
    It won't get entered on the DWP system until CDHA send them something back, either your assesment report or a form saying that they have not received the UC50 by the time limit.

As it's 2 weeks past the deadline and they don't seem to have contacted the DWP then they probably have received it, but for the sake of a 3 minute free phone call it's as well to check.

PS.
    The DWP mail centres don't normally sign for special delivery, if/when they do sign anything then it's for a sackful/truckload at once and not for individual letters.
    I always just get free 'proof of posting' from the counter.
    IMO paying 'signed for' is just wasting money - They don't sign for individual letters so there is no proof that they have received any particular letter, so your 'signed for' for option amounts to just the same as 'proof of posting'.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-07-2018 at 01:50 PM.
    I'm intelligent enough to know that I don't know everything.
    But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks nukecad, will give them a call.

That’s really strange because the postcode it was sent to was WV98, Wolverhampton, googled it and it says Atos. Was a pre addressed envelope so just sent it back in that.

Also the woman at UC I spoke to said they sometimes are sent straight to assessment centres.

IDK, they make it up as they go along.

There are 2 big mail handling centres just outside Wolverhampton that deal with all DWP related mail from anywhere in the UK.

These are 'Mail Handling Site A' (in Kidderminster) and 'Post Handling Site B' (in Telford).

Each of these centres has many different postcodes.
    Each Jobcentre, each DWP office, department, and sub-contractor has it's own postcode. (I have a list of them).

For example:
    ESA Belfast, Mail Handling Site A, Wolverhampton, WV98 2AZ
    ESA Stratford, Mail Handling Site A, Wolverhampton, WV98 2AQ
    ESA Peterborough, Post Handling Site B, Wolverhampton, WV99 2GB
    ESA Caerphilly, Post Handling Site B, Wolverhampton, WV99 2GA

The Post Office sorts letters by postcode for delivery; so when it gets to the mail handling centre it is already pre-sorted and they know which office its for.

As for going staright to the assessment centres she's a few years out of date, that used to happen but not anymore. Everything goes to the mail/post handling sites now.

I always send "signed for" rather than special delivery. Last 1 cost £1.95, and there was a signature which just looked like a D. Its certainly worth ringing up, just to be sure. But normally if they dont get it, they send another letter/form out assuming you didn't receive the first.

I think that Pau used special delivery for the speed rather than the signature, there was only 2 days left before the deadline for return.

I still think the cost of 'signed for' is unwarranted.
    They have in the past stated at tribunals that, because they sign for a sackful at once, a signature is not proof that they actually received any individual letter.
    So you can prove that you posted it but not that they received it - just the same as free 'proof of posting'.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    Ok so it’s gone to a handling site and that may explain why it’s not signed for when I track it ( because they don’t sign as they get stacks of em ?), we’ll thats a bit crap considering part of paying that price for special delivery means it has to be signed for.
    Couldn’t get through to that number nukecad but I’ll try again later.

Sorry for being thick but that handling site is just like a sorting office for DWP/CDHA and then the forms are sent to the relevant departments from there?

It’s was more of speed issue sending it SD but I won’t be making that mistake in the future if they don’t even bother to sign.

Me thinks you should write an ‘Everything you need to know about DWP’ manual nukecad. Lol
    Last edited by Pau; 02-07-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Yes everything goes to one of the 2 sites.

Then it is either scanned to computer and sent to where it is needed or physically sent by private delivery service to where it is needed.

WCA stuff is never scanned, it stays as paperwork.

I only know all this because I needed to know for something else so checked it out and did some freedom of information requests about the postcodes and just how they handle letters.

Not sure why you could not get through to that number, I had no problem yesterday

I do believe within law, a letter is deemed delivered 2 working days after posting.

So a proof of posting should be enough to say you posted it, as you're not responsible for mail after you post it.