Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st ESA Assessment since 2013 - terrified.

1st ESA Assessment since 2013 - terrified.

I am so scared.

I have a personality disorder, recurrent depressive disorder and Hydrocephalus.

I never talk to strangers. What on earth will happen to me at an assessment??!!!

Hi all btw.
    Last edited by birdgirl; 02-07-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Hello birdgirl

We have on the forum very recently had someone else who has not had an assessment for several years. If you look through the recent threads I’m sure you will find their post.

As you will know you have been fortunate to have been ‘left alone’ for five years, as most of us are reassessed within three years.

From the sounds of your post, it seems you may be in the Support group of ESA, is that correct?

Have you recently completed an ESA50 form sent to you?

At the assessment the assessor is basically going to ask you questions, many of which you have probably already answered when you completed your ESA50, which is a bit annoying.

However, look at it as your chance to add anything else you forgot to say on your form, or that you may want to expand your answers about, like your difficulties when trying to complete any of the ESA descriptors (question).

Looking at the internet, you’d be forgiven for thinking “everyone has a horrible time at assessments” but that’s not true, as many people are satisfied with their assessment - but they just don’t post about it on the internet, on forums like this.

Good luck if your assessment is soon, please ask away if you have more questions as this is a helpful forum, with lots of experienced people who post to help others.

Hello buble, thanks for your reply.

Yes I am in Support Group, and completed an ESA50 to deadline of last Christmas. My assessment is at the end of this month. I know I'll have a crap assessment because I don't talk to strangers and am highly suspicious of them. I want my carer to be there(my Dad) and my CPN so that they can answer all the questions.

I also have a very bad memory, because of Hydrocephalus.

I have also applied for PIP and am waiting for assessment date.
    Last edited by birdgirl; 02-08-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Hello birdgirl

It is good you will have someone to accompany you to your assessment.

Don’t be too surprised though if they want to hear from you during the assessment, remember it is YOUR chance to tell them how badly you are effected by your health problems.

Leave them in no doubt, as to how badly you are effected by your health issues. After all it is you, who will suffer, without the ESA money you should qualify for. No one, not your dad (carer) or your CPN knows how it feels to be you, better than you - yourself.

Others have asked on here about taking notes into their assessment, which should be acceptable, as long as you tell the assessor why you need them, as in your case, your poor memory due to your hydrocephalus.

You have a good couple of weeks to prepare some written notes to take to the assessment, to ensure you don’t leave a single thing out, of how your health impacts on your abilities to complete the ESA descriptors.

Good luck, please come back and let us all know how you get on.

Got a letter this morning my ESA assessment has been rescheduled to 9th March early am. They sent a cancellation letter separately.

My PIP assessment is this coming Monday mid morning. I am so scared.

Hello birdgirl

So they have recheduled your ESA assessment for in March but your PIP assessment is on Monday morning.

Let’s go through how you have prepared yourself for your Monday assessment.

Have you managed to write yourself any notes?

Who will be there with you on Monday?

Have you got your transport and route to the assessment sorted?

Yes all taken care of. The assessment is local so dad taking me in the car, and will be going in the assessment with me.

I am so scared they will write lies about me, and I know obviously they will try anything to avoid giving me benefit. I have visions of having no money to live on soon. I filled in my ESA form not great but got help with PIP.

Does anyone have any tips on perhaps what not to say/do from previous experiences?
    Last edited by birdgirl; 02-14-2018 at 05:40 PM.

Be on your guard throughout, and be wary of the common mid assessment " Smiley im your friend approach", some assessors try on..to catch you out..they are NOT your friend.

Hello birdgirl

Let’s look at the positives, you have your transport sorted.

You have had help with completing your PIP form, I am imagining this was from a professional or welfare worker who has experience in this area.

So all your information has been given on the form already and your assessment is just to expand on the information you have already given or to answer any questions the assessor may have about the information you have given.

I don’t know which descriptors you believe you may score points under but write down the reasons why you cannot do that descriptor. Is it your medications? Your motivation? Your anxiety? Write down what stops you being able to complete the descriptor. If it is more than one reason, say so.

We cannot get away from the fact that some assessors lie, however don’t forget that most of all good assessments never get written about on the internet. As the role of assessors has been in the news lately let’s hope they are being more honest when completing the assessments.

Good luck, please come back and let us know how it went.

I went to my PIP assessment today. I meant to say this one was out of local area, in Sheffield. Planned car, tram and taxi to venue. Taxi put us down on the Street but not outside the PIP Centre. It took some finding, luckily there was a passer by who showed us the way and we were in plenty of time.

I thought the Assessment was OK, done by a Spanish nurse. She was nice, probably too nice. I left her to joke with my Dad.

Somehow I cant help thinking she missed a subject out or didn't ask all the questions around it. She did seem thorough. I'm scared there will be something missing,or not written up properly. I had my form with me, she mostly kept to the order of it. I am convinced I'll have to appeal even though it seemed to go mostly OK. I almost didn't go today, then was surprised how calm I was when I went in. I am scared I was too calm. I took my time answering the questions and had to ask for her to repeat things, though of course her English was good. I had little physical, cognitive tests. I have an old back injury that I mentioned on my form so the exam was round that. There were several movements I couldn't do.

She said decision could take 6-8 weeks, she said report would be sent off today.

Now to wait, and then go to ESA assessment next month which is local, a short car ride.
    Last edited by birdgirl; 02-19-2018 at 04:25 PM.