Thread: Dla to pips

Dla to pips

hi all my wife is having a f2f tomorrow changing from DLA to pips can you believe they are chasing her at 68 i have power of attorney ( she has health prob's )so does my wife have the f2f me or both thanks .jud

Quote Originally Posted by jud1950 View Post
    hi all my wife is having a f2f tomorrow changing from DLA to pips can you believe they are chasing her at 68 i have power of attorney ( she has health prob's )so does my wife have the f2f me or both thanks .jud
    This is what the PIP Assessment Guide says about people accompanying the claimant.

Claimants have a right to be accompanied to a face-to-face consultation if they so wish. Claimants should be encouraged to bring another person with them to consultations where they would find this helpful – for example, to reassure them or to help them during the consultation. The person chosen is at the discretion of the claimant and might be, but is not limited to, a parent, family member, friend, carer or advocate. Consultations should predominantly be between the HP and the claimant. However, the companions may play an active role in helping claimants answer questions where the claimant or HP wishes them to do so. HPs should allow a companion to contribute and should record any evidence they provide. This may be particularly important where the claimant has a mental, cognitive or intellectual impairment. In such cases the claimant may not be able to give an accurate account of their health condition or impairment, through a lack of insight or unrealistic expectations of their own ability. In such cases it will be essential to get an accurate account from the companion.
    However, the involvement of companions should be handled appropriately by the HP. It is essential that the HP’s advice considers the details given by the claimant and the companion and whether one or both are understating or overstating the needs. If the presence of a companion becomes disruptive to the consultation, the HP may ask them to leave. However, this should be avoided wherever possible. HPs should use their judgement about the presence of companions during any examination. A companion should be in the room for an examination only if both the claimant and the HP agree. Companions should take no part in examinations.
    The presence and involvement of any companion at a consultation should be recorded in the assessment report.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by pmlindyloo View Post
    This is what the PIP Assessment Guide says about people accompanying the claimant.

Claimants have a right to be accompanied to a face-to-face consultation if they so wish. Claimants should be encouraged to bring another person with them to consultations where they would find this helpful – for example, to reassure them or to help them during the consultation. The person chosen is at the discretion of the claimant and might be, but is not limited to, a parent, family member, friend, carer or advocate. Consultations should predominantly be between the HP and the claimant. However, the companions may play an active role in helping claimants answer questions where the claimant or HP wishes them to do so. HPs should allow a companion to contribute and should record any evidence they provide. This may be particularly important where the claimant has a mental, cognitive or intellectual impairment. In such cases the claimant may not be able to give an accurate account of their health condition or impairment, through a lack of insight or unrealistic expectations of their own ability. In such cases it will be essential to get an accurate account from the companion.
    However, the involvement of companions should be handled appropriately by the HP. It is essential that the HP’s advice considers the details given by the claimant and the companion and whether one or both are understating or overstating the needs. If the presence of a companion becomes disruptive to the consultation, the HP may ask them to leave. However, this should be avoided wherever possible. HPs should use their judgement about the presence of companions during any examination. A companion should be in the room for an examination only if both the claimant and the HP agree. Companions should take no part in examinations.
    The presence and involvement of any companion at a consultation should be recorded in the assessment report.

Hope this helps.
    If only that was true, it may be how the government like to think it is so they can sleep at night but...

...I took my wife, come carer to my F2F and she was told bluntly to keep quiet and for the next 40 minutes that was what she did and with me having miss heard questions and with confusion on my part and with my wife sitting in complete silence, rolling her eyes I’m now waiting for a tribunal sitting.

Remember the under laying unspoken arterial for this is about saving money and not about getting help for the disabled so bear that in mind when answering to anything and don’t believe for one minute, like I did, that there on your side and trying to help you.

I do wish you luck OP as I too being an OAP find these going on very distasteful and instead of planning my 45th wedding anniversary for the end of February, I’m planning a tribunal instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    If only that was true, it may be how the government like to think it is so they can sleep at night but...

...I took my wife, come carer to my F2F and she was told bluntly to keep quiet and for the next 40 minutes that was what she did and with me having miss heard questions and with confusion on my part and with my wife sitting in complete silence, rolling her eyes I’m now waiting for a tribunal sitting.

Remember the under laying unspoken arterial for this is about saving money and not about getting help for the disabled so bear that in mind when answering to anything and don’t believe for one minute, like I did, that there on your side and trying to help you.

I do wish you luck OP as I too being an OAP find these going on very distasteful and instead of planning my 45th wedding anniversary for the end of February, I’m planning a tribunal instead.
    I quoted this because these are the guidelines and are useful for people who wish to make a formal complaint about their assessment if the guidelines are not followed.

I am a great believer in having any assessment recorded but am aware that this itself can be difficult as regards getting the right equipment for a PIP assessment but not impossible.

I am very aware of the appallingly bad assessors/assessments that can arise as I deal with it on a regular basis.

Putting in a formal complaint backed up by a recording of the assessment should be done in every case where people are being so badly treated. If no one complains then there are no statistics that can be used as evidence. Your MP can offer valuable support with this.

What I find the most frustrating part of this is that the people who are being so badly treated are often vulnerable and physically/mentally unable to follow up with a complaint. I always recommend getting professional help and all the better if a partner/friend/support worker can act on their behalf.

There are lots of competent assessors (we rarely hear about them on forums) but just like any other organisations the 'bad apples' need to be removed.

I do not agree with the conspiracy theory about it being about solely about saving money and denying rightful claimants their rightful entitlement. I see people wishing to claim PIP as a means of 'topping up' their miserly ESA income and who will be thoroughly 'au fait' with the 'right words' to use both to their doctor any assessor. The assessment should be thorough and medical evidence should be solid but the guidelines should be followed.

Sorry, having a bit of a rant. I could go on and on about how I would change the system but would be here all day.

It is a mess but we have to work within it.

I did have a honest assessor although my hubby sat with me he only answered one question for me and that was accepted. There were minor things the assessor got wrong because I obviously didn't explain clearly but they were so trivial it made no difference to my award.

I think that there may be more good apples than bad (those wanting to play god), just my opinion.

Hoping all goes well with your wife's assessment, you get a good apple, and that she gets the award she deserves.

hi all . i am sorry to say PMLINDYLOO that its is " ALL about saving money "from what i have read in just a few weeks HP have been telling lies & they send a so-called HP with a knife to a gun fight sending paramedics to people with mental health for a 60min assessment don't think so plus my wife started with MICROSCOPIC COLITIS in 2012 which took 4 years to find out problem so NO these assessments are a sham ( £30,0000 a year plus ) we old people are easy targets get them to stop people like next door but 2 all on benefits no one works non of their friends work also walking about smoking their heads off full of tattoos YES IT IS ALL ABOUT MONEY. jud

Quote Originally Posted by jud1950 View Post
    hi all . i am sorry to say PMLINDYLOO that its is " ALL about saving money "from what i have read in just a few weeks HP have been telling lies & they send a so-called HP with a knife to a gun fight sending paramedics to people with mental health for a 60min assessment don't think so plus my wife started with MICROSCOPIC COLITIS in 2012 which took 4 years to find out problem so NO these assessments are a sham ( £30,0000 a year plus ) we old people are easy targets get them to stop people like next door but 2 all on benefits no one works non of their friends work also walking about smoking their heads off full of tattoos YES IT IS ALL ABOUT MONEY. jud
    I am 68 and didn't have a problem, I was assessed by a paramedic. Like any other profession there are good and bad amongst them.
    If you have an attitude with the assessor you will not be doing your wife any favours, save your energy, there is no point in getting angry.
    Yes, we all know people who are playing the system, yes it is annoying and unfair, there will always be cheats who manage to get away with it although I know of someone who didn't.
    Unfortunately one tends to hear about the negative but not the positive results.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    I am 68 and didn't have a problem, I was assessed by a paramedic. Like any other profession there are good and bad amongst them.
    If you have an attitude with the assessor you will not be doing your wife any favours, save your energy, there is no point in getting angry.
    Yes, we all know people who are playing the system, yes it is annoying and unfair, there will always be cheats who manage to get away with it although I know of someone who didn't.
    Unfortunately one tends to hear about the negative but not the positive results.
    I don’t give anyone attitude and you were very lucky in having a true professional in a Paramedic as myself had a nurse and that takes in so many things that are not professional.

I wouldn’t go so far to say the nurse was bad, though the wife might disagree as does my tribunal adviser, but he was simply out of his depth and did not have a clue about how a brain damaged stroke victim would have difficulties in walking, hell no, I sometime wonder why I can’t walk myself but again, I’m not a professional either.

If they’re going to use professional assessors they should at least use ones that know about the subjects disability, but I say it again, “its all about saving money and not helping the disabled” so they don’t really care who they use.

I too am a brain damaged victim of a subarachnoid haemorrhage which is a type of stroke with ensuing hydrocephalus requiring a permanent shunt.
    I have no sense of balance now and even with aids I fall over, memory problems too, which I think he could see after having to break questions down to small chunks. I don't think the paramedic had any extra knowledge about stroke. He was just fair in his judgement although his report did say I seemed "off hand" at times. In actual fact it wasn't me being "off hand" it is just down to acceptance. It happened and I can't turn the clock back so make the most of what I've got. I've had 14 years to get used to the "new me"