Thread: Esa & CA

Esa & CA

I wonder if someone might explain this to me as I thought I knew it already.

A friend I know is on cbESA with IR topup at 125.55 per week (mainphase, support group with EDP)

They applied for CA.

I expected the CA unit to state no payment entitlement as overlapping benefit but underlying right and so instead would claim ESA carer premium of 34.95. This would total 160.50 weekly.

However the CA unit has said CA at 62.70 will be paid and ESA have reduced the current award of 125.55 to 97.80.
    Again the total of 160.50 weekly is the same.

I know the total weekly amount are the same however I don't understand why CA is in payment and ESA has been reduced instead of the carer premium added to esa.

I wouldn't bother but as CA is in payment no council tax reduction applies so almost negating applying for CA in the 1st place.

Who is best to contact first about this, is it CA unit or ESA if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenpope View Post
    I wonder if someone might explain this to me as I thought I knew it already.

A friend I know is on cbESA with IR topup at 125.55 per week (mainphase, support group with EDP)

They applied for CA.

I expected the CA unit to state no payment entitlement as overlapping benefit but underlying right and so instead would claim ESA carer premium of 34.95. This would total 160.50 weekly.

However the CA unit has said CA at 62.70 will be paid and ESA have reduced the current award of 125.55 to 97.80.
    Again the total of 160.50 weekly is the same.

I know the total weekly amount are the same however I don't understand why CA is in payment and ESA has been reduced instead of the carer premium added to esa.

I wouldn't bother but as CA is in payment no council tax reduction applies so almost negating applying for CA in the 1st place.

Who is best to contact first about this, is it CA unit or ESA if at all.
    First of all, since this is for a friend I would check that they are definitely receiving contribution based ESA as part of their claim. Look at their last ESA award letter.

If they are then you are quite right that no Carer's Allowance should have been paid because of the overlapping rule but a Carer's premium should have been added to the ESA.

So, your friend must contact CA first as it appears that they have made a mistake. Then ESA needs to be contacted unlessCA say that a new letter will be 'computer generated' to the DWP (ie they will contact the DWP) Your friend needs to ask about this.

There will be an overpayment of CA and underpayment of ESA but because the total amount for both scenarios are the same they will 'write off'/balance one against the other.

Hope that makes sense.

PS I did wonder if contribution based ESA with a 'top up' is treated as an income based claim when claiming CA but using a benefits calculator it stated that no CA would be paid if there was a contribution based part to the ESA claim. Of course this may be why they have awarded CA thinking it is an income based claim - hence the need to check with your friend and the Carer's Unit.