Thread: Diabetes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Diabetes

Hi Everyone.
    Just a quick question to those who are diabetic and using insulin. My hubby is looking to ask for a new pen, he uses lantus cartridges at present so it is not the prefilled ones. He takes 99 units daily so prefers one that would deliver up to 60 units, therefore having only to inject twice rather than 3 times with a 42 unit pen.
    Has anyone any advice/suggestions.
    Thanks.
    Dianne

Quote Originally Posted by DianneT View Post
    Hi Everyone.
    Just a quick question to those who are diabetic and using insulin. My hubby is looking to ask for a new pen, he uses lantus cartridges at present so it is not the prefilled ones. He takes 99 units daily so prefers one that would deliver up to 60 units, therefore having only to inject twice rather than 3 times with a 42 unit pen.
    Has anyone any advice/suggestions.
    Thanks.
    Dianne
    Wow my 2 little dogs who are just under 10kg are diabetics, Oscar 28 units and Max 18 units

Hi Dianne,
    your husband needs to go see his GP and ask for the size pen he requires there is no reason for one not to be available on prescription.
    Personally I would not inject that amount in one go as all it will do is pool in one place and let go with a big bang resulting in a very bad hypo.
    Has your husband considered a different insulin so he can inject it twice a day and this way reduce the amount he needs? Also have a look at the amount of carbohydrates consumed the more you eat the more insulin required. It would take me nearly five days to use the amount of insulin your husband is using.

Is the lantus the only insulin he is using as this is a background (basal) insulin so it should not be used to cover food consumed, a separate bolus insulin is required for this and again the would also reduce the massive amount of Lantus being used.
    Hope this is of some help to you.