Thread: New diagnosis/PIP Points

New diagnosis/PIP Points

Hello

Not posted for a while but need advice again. At present I am on standard rate Daily Living, recently I had a OT assessment and was advised to buy kitchen tools with chunkier handles (I already have a perching stool) and change the type of slippers I wear (used to be open backed) I was also given a half step to help get into my shower and a bed loop (grab rail)

My questions are

1. I assume I am right in saying that the half step qualifies in the 'help to get in and out of bath or shower' but I don't think there is a section about help getting into or out of bed so would the grab rail add extra points?

2. I have always been told I had and have been treated for Neuropathy without much success, now the Consultant has written to my GP saying I have Myofascial Pain Syndrome, this has some of the symptoms of Neuropathy so I can understand the wrong diagnosis, my medication is now being changed due to this new diagnosis. I have paid for acupuncture and recently, neck and shoulder massage, unfortunately this didn't help much. I have been under the pain clinic since July last year and have had electro-acupuncture and physio, I am still seeing physio

I am now wondering whether I should inform PIP of change of diagnosis (and OT assessment) or wait until I am called for a new assessment as although I have been given a new name for this problem the symptoms haven't changed

Thanks for any advice

the step would be an aid (2 points), the descriptor is needs (assistance)to get in bath/shower, (assistance) means the physical assistance from a person (3 points).

pip will not be bothered about diagnosis at this point and if you did do a change of circumstances it would lead to you having to start again fresh forms/assessments.

if you can see a way to scoring more points than you had before its not worth reporting a change wait until you are reassessed.

slipmaster, I thought the half step would add extra points, I assume that would be the case with the bed rail too

I knew I had to report if condition worsened/got better but as it hasn't and it's just the cause that has changed I thought you might give that reply

Thanks

When is your reassessment due ?
    Call me Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by k8lin View Post
    slipmaster, I thought the half step would add extra points, I assume that would be the case with the bed rail too

I knew I had to report if condition worsened/got better but as it hasn't and it's just the cause that has changed I thought you might give that reply

Thanks
    if you didn't get points for wash/bathe then you could get 2 points for needing an aid (step/rails/seat).

the bed loop/rail possibly ? could be used for dressing, need to use it to get into position to be able to dress.

maybe someone else may answer that has to use something like that.

Hi,

I have a metal bar (sort of horseshoe shape) it slides under the side bit of my mattress then is attached with straps, it provides some help with getting in and out of bed and it helps with turning over, it was provided at an OT assessment along with a host of other aids and adaptions. I did include a reference to it with my PIP form and highlighted it in the OT report i submitted to DWP/ATOS however, I was never asked about it, it was never mentioned in the reports by the HCP or the decision maker and no points were given for its use. I guess if I had had a lot less aids and adaptions to include I could have concentrated much more on why I am so reliant on it but personally I think they just seemed to lump these things together then just pick out things like the stair lift and bath lift when discussing the appropriate descriptors. Sorry not much help.

take care
    chazy

I did think the bed loop would be ignored chazy as it's not on the PIP points lists that I have looked at. I get points for needing an aid to get dressed (I sit on a blanket box), was surprised that was included as it's not a medical aid. As far as I'm concerned, getting into bed using an aid is not the same as needing an aid to get dressed so I think it should be included but wouldn't be at all surprised if it wasn't

I only have the perching stool in kitchen, bed rail, half step, grab rails and shower seat in bathroom, the latter two bathroom aids plus the perching stool I was given points for last time

You've answered my query for me, thank you, slipmaster also said not to inform them of a new diagnosis so I'm leaving it until my next assessment is due