Thread: Amputation and Diabetes

Amputation and Diabetes

Hi I'm new here I care for my husband who is confined to a wheelchair as he has had his left leg amputated.
    He can't have a prosthetic at the moment because the right foot has diabetic ulcers on it.
    He discharged himself far too early from the hospital. I couldn't talk him out of it.
    Does anyone else have similar problems with diabetic ulcers? if so I would love to hear how long the healing process is.
    These diabetic ulcers seem to spring up from nowhere and spread like wildfire.
    He does visit the podiatrist intermittently but complains about them 'cutting his feet to pieces'. and then will refuse
    To go again for months. as you've probably guessed he's incredibly stubborn. which is very wearing for me at times.
    I cannot seem to find any posts on here from people with diabetes. anyway thats a little of my story.

Hi Juliethemuse.
    Sorry to hear about your husbands amputation. My husband has had diabetic ulcers on his foot recently and with him it took about a year to heal. He had the podiatrist from the high risk foot clinic attending to it on a weekly basis. I know from previous experience it varies on how long each ulcer can take to heal as it was 18 months for one on his ankle.
    As for stubborn men, your husband and mine must be cut from the same mould, mine prefers me to do all his footcare. As it happens our podiatrists (NHS) have had so many cutbacks that it is lucky to have toenails cut every 9 months. All I can suggest to you is to keep his blood sugars in the normal range and you to keep a check on his foot in between dressings and if you are concerned get in touch with your healthcare professional.

Quote Originally Posted by juliethemuse View Post
    Hi I'm new here I care for my husband who is confined to a wheelchair as he has had his left leg amputated.

I cannot seem to find any posts on here from people with diabetes. anyway thats a little of my story.
    Sorry to hear that. With regards to a forum, possibly healthunlocked? https://healthunlocked.com/diabeteshelp