PDA

View Full Version : volunteering

wheelzinmotion
23-02-15, 19:38
Hello. Was Wondering what types of volunteering do place do? I understand that the rules say charity work, non profit and statutory organisations. This would include schools I believe. Does anybody volunteer in a school on here. What other types of volunteering have people done?
Thanks

AmyS
23-02-15, 19:43
In the past, volunteered doing voice recordings in a sound studio i.e. reading books, training manuals for companies and health etc.. though you have to be proficient in using computers as you do your own editing, splicing, copying etc...

Haven't done it in years as they moved premises and it was quite a distance to travel to.

That's the only thing I've ever done - reason being - it involves sitting, isolated (room on your own) no real use of hands except the odd bit of computer work.

Good luck

beau
23-02-15, 20:02
I sit on a school governors and when I am able go into school one afternoon a week to do anything that is required of me.
Until my health really got the better of me I used to do youth mentoring for our county council.

reddivine
24-02-15, 09:53
Schools would mean you would have to be DBS checked. Depends on the TYPE of work you can do. I mean I did conservation work in the past but gave up when my health meant i was a liability. Tricky when you fall over in a field and can't get up...

Lighttouch
09-06-15, 08:42
Schools would mean you would have to be DBS checked. Depends on the TYPE of work you can do. I mean I did conservation work in the past but gave up when my health meant i was a liability. Tricky when you fall over in a field and can't get up...
That's just an excuse to roll in the hay!

carl30
09-06-15, 12:00
Hello. Was Wondering what types of volunteering do place do? I understand that the rules say charity work, non profit and statutory organisations. This would include schools I believe. Does anybody volunteer in a school on here. What other types of volunteering have people done?
Thanks

You should be able to volunteer in any organisation. For example volunteering in a hairdressers. There is no denying that a hairdressers exists for profit. For you personally however, That voluntary work could help you to secure paid work in the future.

Likewise, you dream of working in the music industry, you should be able to volunteer at a recording studio. Again it exists for profit, but your personal benefit isn't financial. Its work experience that can help you secure future employment.

reddivine
09-06-15, 15:29
Not funny LT, when your fell on rocks and cannot get up at ALL.

rich-ward
09-06-15, 15:49

I agree, lying on the ground, possibly injured and not able to get up is about as much fun as going to a funeral.

beau
09-06-15, 15:52
TBH I don't find LT's post funny at all. It is awful when you fall and can't get up.

Lighttouch
11-06-15, 07:58

I'm sorry sweetheart - just trying to make light an all common occurrence. When I fall over the first thing that hits the concrete is my head. I can only describe it like having your head being swung at and hit by a base ball bat. Then the feeling is euphoric as the brain's anaesthetic 'endorphins' are released.

I'm usually flat out and as high as a kite when well wishes drag me to me feet and call an ambulance when they see a pool of blood on the paving.

You only need to use the words 'head trauma' with a 999 call to take priority. When concussed in Manchester City Centre you'll have a roving paramedic with you in under 5 minute swiftly followed by an ambulance.

On subject - I'm volunteering tonight as I'm a member of an Access Group - I'm a board member. We look into access issues in the City Centre.

jt14972
24-06-15, 10:28
You could definitely volunteer in a charity shop if that's the kind of thing you're interested in. My gran volunteers at Beechwood and absolutely loves it there. Apparently you get lots of regulars coming in and can form quite good friendships with customers and volunteers.