PDA

View Full Version : mobility scooter controls

reddivine
04-29-2015, 09:55 AM
Hers a question. i just did a "scooter training course" with the local Shopmobility. They won't let you out till you do.
I realised that the one they gave me, and most others I could see had controls where you grip with the right hand to go forward and left for backwards.
My problem is I have neural parethesia in right hand making it hard to grip or squeeze such a control for long
My power chair is using a joystick - very light touch with my LEFT hand.

So do any scooters have a different control system?

beau
04-29-2015, 10:08 AM
You can reverse the controls by switching the leads to the potentiometer to the opposite terminals, a simple job. I am left handed and have had mine reversed. Left hand forward, right hand reverse. In fact I often just push the wig-wag backwards with my left hand to reverse.

AmyS
04-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Hi reddivine,

Interesting question.

I did that last year - the training course thingy. I didn't think it was much of a training course as they literally said sit here, these are the controls and have a run about in the car park. I drove round in a figure of eight (my choice) and then tried the reversing part etc. These controls are mostly the right hand. Now my right hand is suffering even more - hence using wrist splints/supports (just deteriorating over time).

I didn't try any other types - they had quite a collection at the Shopmobility in Cardiff. Haven't used it yet this year. For me it is a toss up between walking or using my hands to control the scooter.

Next time I go, I'll ask about the other models.

beau
04-29-2015, 11:11 AM
You will find that all scooters have the forward on the right hand and Shopmobility won't be able to change that just for one person. To change the drive hand the potentiometer has to be removed, the wires desoldered from it and then resoldered on the opposite to the original contacts.

reddivine
04-29-2015, 04:25 PM
Bummer. i was also looking online at 2nd ones just cuz they handle rougher terrain, but that scuppers that notion. i don't usually NEEd one but in march my motor was bust and was away for 3 weeks. We went to shopmobility and encountered the "you havent been on a course thus no scooter" scenario. So as a plan C, i did the course.....in case I NEED to agen. but seems I am better off w joystick whuch can be either hand.

beau
04-29-2015, 04:30 PM
If you had your own it really is a simple matter to get the drive hand reversed. I could do my own if needed.