View Full Version : Stair lift - can these be supplied by SS or OT

04-29-2015, 08:55 PM
Hi all
My mam is in her mid 50s, and has fibromyalgia. Unfortunately her condition is getting worse and she is really struggling with stairs.
She owns her home and though my father works they have no savings.
So I'm looking at ways we could get help to fund a stair lift.
She's had some adaptations done in the past; handrails, shower stool etc with was by the occupational therapy dept, though she doesn't know the number or who to ask for.
So my question is, do we call social services for an assessment or occ therapy team, and how likely is it they could help us out?

Thanks ????

04-30-2015, 07:20 AM
Call social services and they will likely get the OT to come out and do assessment. do the phoning for her if she struggles with that side of things.

04-30-2015, 07:28 AM
Yes, ask for a new assessment and if it is recommended then your parents will have to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant which is means tested, to fund a stairlift.
Contact Adult Care at your County Council and ask for that new assessment.

05-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Thank you. I've contacted them for an assessment.