PDA

View Full Version : Washing machine door

book2end
05-26-2015, 12:52 PM
My 93 year old Mum with bad arthritis cannot open the door of her new washing machine and the retailer will not help. Any ideas ?

carl30
05-26-2015, 01:12 PM
Did she buy the item in a store or online?
How long has it been since purchase?
How long since delivery?
Does the store offer any money back guarantee?

If possible, the ideal option would be to return the washing machine. Then take your mum to a store where she can attempt to open the machines in store.

If purchased online you have 14 days from the date of delivery.
Purchases in store aren't so generous as you had opportunity to inspect the good prior to delivery.

book2end
05-26-2015, 02:44 PM
Did she buy the item in a store or online?
How long has it been since purchase?
How long since delivery?
Does the store offer any money back guarantee?

If possible, the ideal option would be to return the washing machine. Then take your mum to a store where she can attempt to open the machines in store.

If purchased online you have 14 days from the date of delivery.
Purchases in store aren't so generous as you had opportunity to inspect the good prior to delivery.

The machine was purchased about two weeks ago. Not sure whether cash or card. It was installed by the retailer last Tuesday. End of last week they sent a man out who had no trouble opening the door himself but my mother cannot manage it. She had no problems with the old machine. Retailer says that it is her problem. She has purchased other white goods from them previously without problem.

nukecad
05-26-2015, 03:00 PM
New washing machine door catches are often very stiff, they get easier with use.

Try spraying the catch hinges, (outside top and bottom), and inside the hole where the actual latch hook is (inside the door) with WD40 and waggling the handle about ten or twenty times.
This will usually make it easier to operate.

If you don't have any WD40 just waggling the handle twnety or so times as if opening and closing it will often help free it up.

jt14972
06-29-2015, 09:04 AM
You can get special handles that you attach onto taps and small switches to make them easier to grip and turn. Maybe you could look for something similar that you would attach onto the washing machine?

reddivine
06-29-2015, 03:11 PM
at 93 she shd be able to get carer to come in do that and hang washing out.

Lighttouch
06-29-2015, 05:06 PM
Some washing machines may be able to detect when water is inside the drum and refuse to let the door open if there’s a problem draining the water or with the system responsible for checking water levels. However, most modern machines no longer have such a system due to cost cutting and / or because lower water levels have made them less necessary.
The first thing to check is – does the washing machine still have water inside?If there is obviously still water inside the machine then this is possibly the cause of the door not opening. Drain the machine and investigate why it isn’t emptying using this article washing machine won't drain water (http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/washing-machine-wont-drain-water/)
Can’t see any water insideIf you can’t see any water inside then it may be caused by various faults listed below. Here’s a list of the most common causes of a jammed door –

On some machines if the pressure switch doesn’t reset to empty it keeps the door lock energized. If this is the case though, turning off the machine at the mains should allow the door lock to cool down and open after a few minutes.
The water hasn't pumped out properly (or a blockage in the pressure system is holding the pressure switch on) – but only if the washing machine has a pneumatic (air operated) door safety lock (a rubber hose connected to the door interlock and connected to a pressure chamber bottle on the tub – water forces air up this tube and locks the door) Washing machine won't empty water (http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/washing-machine-wont-drain-water/) | Understand how a pneumatic door lock works (http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/different-types-door-interlocks/)
The water has pumped out properly, but the pressure switch hasn’t reset due to a faulty pressure switch or blockage in the pressure system – or the water hasn’t pumped out properly and the pressure switch hasn’t reset because of the water inside. A faulty pressure switch, or blockage of gunge inside the pressure chamber bottle could also be trapping the air that's operating the door lock (if a pneumatic lock is fitted – not many have these days) See How does a washing machine door interlock work? (http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/how-does-washing-machine-door-interlock-work/) for more details
The door interlock has just jammed
The door catch, handle, or some part of the door catch mechanism is broken and not opening the door
Pecker (a device that detects the motion of the drive belt fitted to many older Hotpoint washing machines which "pecks" at the belt when the door handle or button is operated) is broken or has fallen off

nukecad
06-30-2015, 02:59 AM
Pecker ...... is broken or has fallen off
Ooer missus.:rolleyes:

Andanda
08-09-2019, 02:39 PM
I have been searching for washing machine for my new home. I have a decent budget of 15k. Is this possible to get a new one within my budget?

reddivine
08-09-2019, 05:16 PM
This is a mostly UK site. You are shown as in Dhaka. I believe even there they cost considerably less.

nukecad
08-10-2019, 09:03 AM
I believe that Andanda is a spammer, (s)he shows one of the classic signs - 'necromancing' old threads with bland/general comments.
This is done to get their post count up before posting any actusl spam, to try and get past any restrictions/filters on new members.

I've reported his/her necro posts a couple of times.

beau
08-10-2019, 09:21 AM
So have I Nukecad but nothing has been done, as usual.

Andanda
08-11-2019, 02:59 AM
Not at all. Can't I ask for help to other members in this community? Why do you have negative thinking about myself? I need a washing machine for my new home. You can recommend me some sources if you know. If you don't have such kind of sources no problem. Thanks @nukecad.

nukecad
08-11-2019, 12:08 PM
Apologies if we are wrong Andanda,

But both myself and beau are experienced forum moderators, and are well used to spotting things that don't look right.

The fact that you are posting on a UK forum, but give your location as Dhaka which is in Bangladesh, raises flags.
The fact that the posts that you have made follow a typical pattern used by marketing spammers raises more flags.
The one link that you have posted is to the marketing website of a company based in the USA, this forum is in the UK, that raises more flags.

Moreover, if we are wrong then I doubt that you would get much help with buying a washing machine in Bangladesh from a UK disability forum.
I would suggest that you search some sales websites in Bangladesh.

Andanda
08-12-2019, 02:08 AM
Thank you so much. Actually, great community here. I was looking for because I have a relative (cousin) who lives in UK. He has told me to find out a reliable one. Not so big or small but a middle one would be nice. My cousin lives with his wife. They don't have a children yet. Actually, they started a new conjugal life before a year ago. Both of them work in an office based on UK. They even don't have much time to research. So I have been searching for something for them.

DavidMartin
08-30-2019, 08:12 AM
My 93 year old Mum with bad arthritis cannot open the door of her new washing machine and the retailer will not help. Any ideas ?

Sorry to arrive late to the discussion. Here at Remap (https://www.remap.org.uk/) we can often help with this problem by making a gadget specifically for the user to open the door. All done for free of course. Typically this might be a mushroom type device which you hold in the palm of your hand and use the stalk bit to prod a button, but each solution is made specifically for the user. Examples of our free equipment here (https://www.remap.org.uk/category/case-studies/).