PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 is here (nearly) and its FREE

nukecad
02-06-15, 15:14
So I ran windows updates last night and got a new 'windows' icon in the system tray, bottom right of the screen.

I'm sure others will have got this or will get it in the next few days.
You need to have Windows Update set to Automatic Updates or to Notify.

Hovering the pointer over it - the tool tip shows "Get Windows 10".
It should actually say Reserve Windows 10 because thats what its asking you to do.

In case you dont know Microsoft have announced that Windows 10 will be released on 29th July, upgrades from home editions of Windows7 and Windows8.1 will be FREE.
(If you have Windows8 then get a free upgrade to Windows8.1 and then you will get this offer too http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial).

It seems that its just Windows7(SP1), and Windows8.1* users who are getting sent this notice at the moment, and all it seems to be doing is running a check to see your system is compatible and then asking you to pre-register for the upgrade.

So I registered, (to try and stop it nagging me until the 29th July release).
This means that it will download automatically when released and then I can choose when to install it.
(I can cancel the registration if I change my mind).

Question is when Windows 10 does get released should you install it straight away or wait a month or two?

The last few releases of Windows, before windows 8.1, were a bit of a mess with bug fix after bug fix needed in the first few months.
(Apple iOS releases have been just as bad if not worse).
General advice for non-techies was always to wait a few months before getting the new version.

With Windows 10 though they have done things a bit differently.

There has been a version of Windows 10 available for about the last year, known as the 'Technical Preview'.
This has been given out to thousands of techie people and large users to test (beta testing) and report any issues found so that they can be fixed before it is released to the general public
This should mean that there are no problems with the general release.

However I for one, and I suspect everone who knows how to, will be making a full backup of my Windows 8.1 so I can reinstall that if Windows 10 does have problems.
(Although windows8 was bad, I've come to like 8.1)

To learn more about Windows 10 (or 8.1) click here:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/features

Fliss
02-06-15, 18:53
I was chatting to an IT bloke at work who came to install my new PC, with Windows 7! He said my organisation is not happy with security of anything more recent. Apparently lots of bank systems use even older versions (he seemed to saying ATM's, etc) as they trust the security more.

I've really no idea if he's right or not, and am happy to use whatever they want me to. Just liked the idea of using something newer and being a bit more up to date!

Fliss
02-06-15, 18:55
Ps nice to think about you with a fully functioning laptop Nuke!

nukecad
02-06-15, 20:22
I was chatting to an IT bloke at work who came to install my new PC, with Windows 7! He said my organisation is not happy with security of anything more recent. Apparently lots of bank systems use even older versions (he seemed to saying ATM's, etc) as they trust the security more.

I've really no idea if he's right or not, and am happy to use whatever they want me to. Just liked the idea of using something newer and being a bit more up to date!

This is a known bit of a missconception - because of a stupid naming decision by Microsoft.

Windows 7 and before had a application called 'Windows Defender' which was just anti-spyware (checked that nobody was recording which websites you visited).
There was also 'Microsoft Security Essentials' which was an anti-virus / anti-malware suite.

With windows 8 and 8.1 (and presumably 10) Microsoft put both programmes together and just called the new programme 'Windows Defender' (same name as the old anti-spyware).

This led some people who hadn't realised the programmes had been merged to shout that 'Microsoft Security Essentials' had been dropped and so you computer was not as secure.

A lot of people still don't realise that with Windows 8 and 8.1 'Windows Defender' is now a full anti-virus programme - you don't need to install (or pay for) any other anti virus (AVG, Avast, McAfee, Kapersky, Norton, etc).
You can do if you want to, but there is no real need.

My techie friends and myself let Defender take care of day to day protection on Windows 8+ with an extra scan when it asks for one.
Don't just leave it at that though, once a week we run scans with other products (different ones are better at finding different things).
Everybody should have and use the most popular three (all FREE):

CrapCleaner - not an anti-virus; clears out cookies, temporary files, and other stuff you dont need.
Run it before shut down - takes minutes, or run if you have been on line for a number of hours and things slow down.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

SuperAntiSpyware - checks your system for any nasties that are trying to track what you are doing, steal your passwords, steal your personal info, etc.
Run it once a week - takes between 20min and 2-3 hours depending on what you have on your hard drive.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Malwarebytes AntiMalware - Definitely use this - Checks for all kinds of nasties and unwanted stuff that tries to take over your computer.
Run it once a week - can take up to a couple of hours depending on what you have on your hard drive.
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

Lighttouch
02-06-15, 21:07
Well, security is never an issue with Mac system software as security is built in.

https://www.apple.com/osx/what-is/security/

Also all Apps in iTunes are vetted and added after vetting. Unfortunately for Window users anyone can submit Apps for Android devices that may even include viruses/trogan horses.

Hackers tend to target Microsoft and Windows with viruses - they can't be bothered to target Apple software. I used to sit near an IT guy who sorted out IT issues for the whole company. I asked him what computer he used at home - he had all Apple products - enough said.

Fliss, if you are looking for a first generation Apple iMac 24 inch aluminium beast let me know.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=apple+imac+24

nukecad
02-06-15, 23:46
Be careful with saying 'never'. Thats the way to get caught out.

Both MACs and Windows have built in security, this has got better on Windows with the new 'Windows Defender' mentioned above now being built into the win 8.** OS.

Apple used to like to have you believe that MACs 'never' get a virus, but they do have their own malware and Apple admit this nowadays.
This is a good resource on MAC malware.
http://www.thesafemac.com/mmg/

MACs don't get targeted as much as Windows systems do.

The reason is simple - there are more Windows systems out there than there are MACs.
So virus / malware writers go for the bigger target.

Of course the more people who get a MAC the more tempting the target becomes.

If you want to beef up your MACs protection:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-antivirus,review-2588-6.html

Lighttouch
03-06-15, 09:52
Good choice Raspberry Ripple you won't go far wrong with that.

My lodger has a Windows laptop and what I wasn't aware of was how long it takes for a PC to boot up from scratch. A Mac takes less than 60 seconds before you can use it.

My lodger turns her PC on then has the time to prepare tea then eat it before the PC can be used.

Touch wood, I've not experienced any viruses as I keep my system software up to date with free patches.

Presently on OS X Yosemite version 10.10.2

I wouldn't be surprised if a new version is released in October this year.

carl30
03-06-15, 14:13
My concern would be the performance impact running the newer windows 10 would have on my entry level windows 7 PC. This thing isn't exactly top of the range and newer software generally has higher system requirements.

nukecad
03-06-15, 14:51
As I seem to be the first to get this notification it seems as if I am pushing it.
Not so I am just sharing what I have found.
As I noted above I will be making a full copy of my current windows 8.1 before installing 10, so that I can restore 8.1 if I don't like it.

As for boot times, and restart times, that was one issue tackled with Windows 8.
My old laptop with XP used to take around 60 secs to boot, and 20-30 to wake from sleep.
My new 8.1 laptop boots from cold to the desktop (or metro UI screen) in about 15 seconds, and 5 of that is the time it takes for me to type my password.
To restart from sleep takes less than 1/2 second, they particularly optimised this to be comparable with a smartphone wake up, press the button and its there.

Carl if you are running Windows 7 then Windows 10 should be fine if not faster.
see below for the spec needed, even an entry level PC will have that.

Windows 10 overview- what t looks like:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/features

FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_LearnMore_win10

Specification needed
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-specifications

Lighttouch
03-06-15, 17:10
It's not always a good thing to upgrade to the newest operating system. Those that do are known as 'early adopters'. The downside is that the software has been launched too early and lots of bugs haven't been sorted out.

If your machine is four or five years old there might be clashes between old software and your new software. Your computer may lack memory and slow down. If you can upgrade the memory as this is easy to do and cheap.

By the time your machine gets to 4 or 5 years old the chip or processor will be well out of date for heavy 'number crunching'.

beau
03-06-15, 17:16
I am doubtful about downloading Win 10 because when I upgraded to Win 8.1 there was no software update to download for my printer and there still isn't. I had to buy a new printer. I don't want the same thing to happen again.

nukecad
05-06-15, 13:26
It's not always a good thing to upgrade to the newest operating system. Those that do are known as 'early adopters'. The downside is that the software has been launched too early and lots of bugs haven't been sorted out.

Agree with this totally, there have been some major problems with new launches in the past.

MS do seem to have learned though and as I said before the have a 'Technical Preview' version of Win10 out in the wider community for a year or so. (Anybody could get one to play with and test, not just the usual beta testers).

Hopefully these were the 'early adopters' and most of the compatibility issues will have been found and solved before the general release.
The same should go for printer drivers, etc. The manufacturers have had access to Win10 and have had plenty of time to update their drivers, although you may have to download the latest version.

Again though I have made a 'mirrior image' backup of my current system just in case.

reddivine
06-06-15, 06:06
I have windows 2003. windows 7 was complete DI-AST-ER dahlings! Open Office is free, but windows ain't free if you gotta have Windows 7 in first place!!!

nukecad
20-06-15, 14:24
Build 10145 is a version of the 'Technical Preview' of Windows 10, it is not the 'final' general release to the public.

10145 is being offered to those who already have the Technical Preview installed, not to the general public.

Having said that with the 29th July general release date so close, build 10145 should not be far off the finished version.

stree
22-06-15, 18:06
Build 10145 is a version of the 'Technical Preview' of Windows 10, it is not the 'final' general release to the public.

10145 is being offered to those who already have the Technical Preview installed, not to the general public.

Having said that with the 29th July general release date so close, build 10145 should not be far off the finished version.

I am running Win 10 tech preview with another ISO waiting in a USB stick when I get round to building my next Kabini, got all the bits just got to get round to it.
Also have 2 copies of W7 Pro 64, one unused yet and running one.
I like Win 7, never got tempted by iterations of 8, bit of a wrong turn for MS by most accounts.
Win 10 is quite different to 7 but not in a bad way, just a bit of a learning curve....It is more intuitive, better with hardware, fast and very well specced. Got the luxury of getting used to 10 while having 7 to fall back on.
If you upgrade to 10 from 7 or 8 you can always "rollback" if you wish, but I recommend getting used to it...
Windows 10 is different to other versions, no updating when you want to turn off, its happening constantly in the background.
I will use 10 and 7 alongside each other for a while, but eventually support will cease for 7 and 8 and it would be risky for non-savvy users to continue with them after that, unless staying offline.
In my opinion 10 is the best move MS have made for a while. and with very little effort it can be had at zero cost.

nukecad
22-07-15, 00:16
So here's a bit more on the Windows 10 upgrade.

As said before the official Windows 10 release date is 29 July but don't be surprised if you don't get it on that date.

It is being released in 'waves'.
What this means is that those who have been testing it for the last year or so will get the first full versions.
Followed by those who have pre-registered by the 'Get Windows 10' pop-up.
Probably it will also be rolled out to newer built machines before older builds, thats part of what the pre-registration was about, checking what hardware is in your computer.

If you have pre-registered you will already have received some of the Windows 10 components.
They have been downloading them by way of the Windows Updates for a while.
This is so when the final parts are released to you it won't take as long to download and install, a lot of it is already on your machine.

If you haven't already done so you should back up your data files and make 'Recovery Media' now; Just in case something goes wrong with your upgrade.

You should always make backups of your data files, letters, pictures, etc. anyway, I put mine on a memory stick, you could do this or if you trust the cloud then copy them to cloud storage.

It is also a good idea to make a recovery drive (CD or USB) for your current system.
Again you should already have done this when you first bought your computer, in case it crashes or gets heavily virused, so you can reinstall to operating system completely.
Some may have got 'recovery discs' when buying their PC, but manufacturers save costs by not making these and so you probably didn't, you have to make your own.

This article explains how to make recovery drives for Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers.
http://www.theexaminer.com/features/entertainment/how-recover-%E2%80%98crashed%E2%80%99-windows-7-or-8-system
One thing it doesn't tell you there is that with Windows 8.1 the drive needs to be a USB flash drive (Memory stick) not CDs.
This is because most new laptops, and all tablets, don't have a CD drive anyway.

My Windows 8.1 needed a 16Gb memory stick for the recovery drive because I copied the recovery partition from the hard drive.
You can make a recovery drive without this partition (leave it on the hard drive) this will take a 1/2Gb stick.

A few common questions; you can find many more here- http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_LearnMore_win10faq
or here- http://www.theguardian.com/technology/windows-10

Will it leave my existing programmes and data in place?
Yes; All your existing software should remain in place and should continue to work, with a few exceptions.
(Some things that will go are Windows Media Centre (obsolete) and some Windows 7 'gadgets' and games (Solitaire, Hearts, etc)).
However, upgrades sometimes go wrong, so its best to make a back-up your PC first.

If I don't like Windows 10 can I go back to my current windows version?
Yes, Microsoft say that there will be a 'roll back' option; this is usually available for 30 days after installing a new version.
Again though I would not rely on this alone; make a recovery drive and back up your data.

Do I have to install Windows 10.
No, nobody is forcing you to.
If you have already registered and now want to cancel:
Right click on the white 'Get Windows 10' icon in you taskbar.
Click on 'Check your upgrade status'.
In the box that opens click on 'Cancel Reservation'

Why are Microsoft giving it for free?
There is the oficial answer and the unofficial answer.
Some say it's by way of an apology because they made such a mess of Windows 8.
Its much more likley to be an attempt to get everybody using the same version rather than the current situation where there are people using XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and windows phone.
If they can get all windows users (1.6 billion users) using the same version this creates a bigger market and makes things easier for both Microsoft and for third party software developers.
Those who can't get a free upgrade (XP, Vista) will be able to buy it fairly cheaply.

Lighttouch
22-07-15, 08:27
No doubt Windows will be playing catch up with MAC OS system software.

A new version called 'OSX El Capitan' will be launched in September http://www.apple.com/uk/osx/elcapitan-preview/

I'm sure it will be free too. Be sure to back-up your work before any upgrade. Also be warned - if you have an old PC new system software may slow it down unless you can increase the RAM / memory.

nukecad
28-07-15, 22:07
Well there are already reports online that Windows 10 is being rolled out in places where it is already the 29th.

First reports were from China, some coming in from India and now from Eastern Europe.

Remember these will be the 'insiders' who have been running the Technical Preview (testing) version, it will take longer to be available for the rest of us, maybe even a few days.

Ah! just got a pop-up alert that there is an update available from Microsoft, seems a bit early but it just may be the Win 10 download.

EDIT
Aparently not, just said it was a definition update for Defender.
However it did add/update some files in the folder where Windows Updater has been downloading bits of Win10 for the last month or so.

nukecad
30-07-15, 09:01
Took a days wait but just got the pop-up to download and install Win 10.

I'm all backed up, so I think I'll double check on line that there have been no big problems showing up, and then go for it.
Not seen reports of any problems yet; apart from the download itself stopping because of a break in connection.

nukecad
30-07-15, 15:52
I'm back again - now on Windows 10.

Everything with the update has gone very smoothly with no problems at all except perhaps for the time it's taken.

Been a bit of a long process, probably because of my slow(ish) internet connection, only average 2 to 5 Mbps here.
May not be just my slow connection, I believe that the downloads are 'throtted down' a bit this week to avoid swamping the internet bandwidth.
It will probably be faster to do if you leave it for a week or so before upgrading and let the big rush calm down.

There are still some things I will want to look at in the default settings etc., but I don't envisage any great problems.

The first thing I have done is come here and all seems the same.

Having a quick look around and of course things are a bit new, new icons and so on, but most seems fairly intuitive.
I reckon that if you are used to Win 7, Win 8.1, or even XP then it's going to be no problem to get going with Win 10.

So quick report is that all my installed programmes/apps remained, none of my data (letters, text files, photos) has been lost.
All my bookmarks and favourites are still here in my browser.

All in all a sucessfull and painless process.

joss
11-08-15, 10:23
Nukecad and others may find this link very useful on all things win 10 http://www.tenforums.com/

nukecad
11-08-15, 12:32
Cheers joss, I'll take a look at that later.

I have had no real problems at all with Windows 10.

Only had one occasion when after the large Cumulative Update, KB3081424, I couldn't enter my Microsoft password when starting the laptop from cold.
I just held down the power button for ten seconds to switch off fully again.
Powered up again, and after a slower than usual startup all came up normally and I was able to log on.

I've been keeping an eye on things and there have been some installation problems reported, but when you look closley they tend to be the same three issues.

People who tried to jump the gun and manually download and install before getting the official notification from Microsoft. So they had missing files, missing updates, or incompatible hardware/software.
People who downloaded and installed OK, but then made a media disk and used this to do a 'clean install' report that this 'clean install' has problems booting and they have to download and install again. (These also seem to be upgrading from Win7 not Win8).
Some laptops with SSDs are giving a 'Missing Operating System' error after the install.

All three of those are not something that would affect the everyday user, except if you have a SSD (Solid State Drive) in your laptop.

Once installed the only real problem I have seen reported is with nvidia graphic cards, usually on high end gaming machines, often using multi screens and more than one graphics card mounted.
Again not exactly an everyday setup.

Most of the rest that is being shouted about tends to be niggles about Automatic Updating and/or Privacy settings from the anti Big Brother crowd - not real functional problems at all.

When you think about all the different system builds, some brand new some 10 or even 15 years old, that are out there then there are bound to be some issues with a mass release of this magnitude.

My impression is that its gone prety well up to now.

ChrisD
13-08-15, 11:59
Beware some of the "FREE" versions of Windows 10 are only free for one year, (mainly OEM versions, ones that come with your computer and you haven't purchased "legally") you will then need to buy a licence to continue use, much the way Microsoft Office can now be purchased on a annual renewal fee, which Microsoft seem to be moving towards except for Industry. Although most commercial concerns will stick with W7 as it is far better than either W8 all versions and the new V10. Many commercial users have already confirmed they won't be updating, sticking with W7 or other Pro versions etc. Microsoft have lost many customers, mainly business users to Apple.

Windows 7 will continue to receive support, Windows 8.1 will not!

The following is from part of article from PC Pro and Forbes in the USA who go into much more detail. Incidentally this is reputably the last version ever of Windows according to Microsoft via their MSCE newsletter.

The full list is as follows:

If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate , Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer’s website.
If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.

The most high profile removals are Windows Media Center, desktop gadgets and native driver support for USB floppy drives, but the one that should really catch your eye is how desktop updates will be handled for Windows 10 Home users.

Chris

Lighttouch
13-08-15, 21:21
If you have a screen and keyboard you like to use then ditch your PC - just go for the small Apple Mini - you know it makes sense. Once you've used one you'll never touch a PC again.

http://www.apple.com/uk/mac-mini/specs/

beau
14-08-15, 06:56
Are we made of money do you think LT?

nukecad
14-08-15, 08:41
Beware some of the "FREE" versions of Windows 10 are only free for one year, (mainly OEM versions, ones that come with your computer and you haven't purchased "legally") you will then need to buy a licence to continue use,...

As with a lot of Windows 10 scaremongering on the web this is misinformation / wrong.

The misunderstanding came about because of the poor wording of an announcement made by Microsoft where they refered to 'Windows as a service' and an incorrect interpretation of a report by Computerworld
This misinformation has been widely disseminated by scaremongers on the web.

Microsoft have clearly stated in response to this silliness:
“There will be no charges for updates during the supported phase. There will be no Windows 10 subscription fees during the supported phase.”
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/4695/windows-10-upgrade-is-free-not-free

Automatic updates and upgrades will continue to be free until for the lifetime of Windows 10, it will be supported until 2025.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

OEM versions, the version already on your laptop/PC when you bought it, are fully legal versions and when updated get updated to Windows 10 from Microsoft and get a new 'Product key', so are no longer OEM versions.
(Unless you bought a dodgy computer off ebay or similar which might have a 'cloned' Windows version).

Windows 10 Home will be free to download and install for Windows 7 home and Windows 8.1 home users for a year.
If you have windows 8 then you have to update to 8.1 first, again thats free to do.

Business users are always slow to change their systems, they have a lot of money invested and don't want to take any risks on new systems before they are sure that they won't cause any problems.
The DWP are still running some 40 year old computer systems, how's that for being conservative?

As for Windows 10 being the last ever version of Windows- yes and no; and no again.

This statement stems from the new way that Microsoft will be releasing Upgrades (not updates) to Windows.

Instead of releasing a new version, with a new name or number, every few years they will be Upgrading Windows 10 using the 'Automatic Update' feature.
Similar to the way they have done with the initial online distribution of Windows 10.
Also rather than being one big change every few years these will be smaller changes every 6 months or so.
So you will automatically get a new version but it will still be called Windows 10 (although it may be 10.1, 10.2, etc. thats not clear yet).
Because everyone with Windows 10 Home will get it automatically everyone will have the same version and so there is no real need for a different name.

There are though already some plans for its replacement in 5 or 10 years time.
This is tentativley being called "Windows" (no name or number) and it is envisioned that this may well use the yearly licensing business model.
We will have to wait and see.

There is a lot of tosh being talked about on the interweb about privacy settings and automatic updates with Windows 10.

Yes, as installed Win10 will send a lot of tracking data to Microsoft about what programmes you use and what websites you visit.
Go into your privacy settings and turn it all off if you don't want to send this data - no problems.
Faceache and Google track you a lot more than this already and everyone lives with this or turns the settings off.

Windows 10 Home applies automatic updates, er.. automatically.
This is meant to ensure that everyones machine is up to date all the time.
Your only choice as a Home user is to delay any updates that need a restart of your computer, so it doesn't restart while you are working.

This is also getting a lot of shouting about on the web, and this time it may be justified.
There have been Windows updates released in the past that have stopped machines from working properly, or even working at all.
This is a concern, what if they send out one of these dodgy updates and it junks everybodys machine all around the world?

Users of Windows 10 Pro (business users) still have the option to install updates manually rather than automatically.

As ChrisD points out in his list some old applications and games will be removed, whilst there are be replacements for some others you will have to get a third party programme to replace.
Microsoft have made a couple of assumptions here:
USB floppy drives - most USB drives are solid state devices nowadays, who still uses floppys? so MS decided the driver wasn't needed. If you still have floppy drives download a third party driver. (from the drive manufacturer?)
DVD Player - again most new computer sales are laptops and tablets, and most no longer have a CD/DVD drive.
If you have a PC or a laptop with a DVD drive its very easy to download and install a player.
It seems that most are installing the free VCL media player. I have and it works fine.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.en_GB.html
If downloading it make sure you get the correct one - its different for 32bit and 64bit Windows.

beau
14-08-15, 09:01
Just heaving a sigh of relief, my printer works with 10. Was quite apprehensive about that.

Found it difficult to use at first because of my memory problems but repetition helps. Think I have worked out most of it.

Nukecad, sorry to ask but where do I find my privacy settings to switch off the data transfer?

beau
14-08-15, 09:08
Nukecad, please ignore my question. Wonders will never cease, I have found them.

nukecad
14-08-15, 09:14
Click on the windows symbol, bottom left of the screen.
Then click 'Settings', three up with a little cogwheel.

In the screen that opens you should see 'Privacy' on the right - click on this.

You now get another screen with 'general, location, camera, etc.' on the left, and setting and switches on the right.

Go through each of these 'general, location, camera, etc.' in turn and change the switches to on or off as you want.

There's too much to go through individually, and you may want different settings to mine.

I have turned almost all of it off except for 'Smart Screen Filter' in the General (a security setting) and I've left the 'Feedback & diagnostics' on automatic and full.

As I say you may want different settings, eg. if you use your webcam for Skype or similar.

Lighttouch
14-08-15, 09:49
Are we made of money do you think LT?

There's no reason why a disabled person on IRESA couldn't apply for a grant and get it FREE!

All you need to do is a bit of homework, fill out an application and put a simple 'business case' forward that meets the funders objectives.

Think in terms of outcomes like
- it would improve your mental health and well-being
- it would help your skill base
- it would help improve your chances of gaining employment

Think in terms of how this computer would 'benefit' your situation for the better.

Possible funders . . . http://www.disability-grants.org/grants-uk.html

beau
14-08-15, 10:06
Thank you Nukecad, I did find it but you have pointed out things I have missed.

sea queen
11-09-15, 15:57
I asked on another forum about this and this is what I was told

if you decide to Download, then before you do, research on privacy P2P,then when downloaded, this needs turning off.

The person then posted the two links below, I have stuck with what I have got for now.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955491/windows/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-using-your-pcs-bandwidth-to-update-strangers-systems.html

http://www.ebuyer.com/blog/2015/08/windows-10s-privacy-problems/

beau
11-09-15, 16:14
I foolishly upgraded and have had and still have more problems than a little. I have altered settings as suggested on PC Advisor all to no avail. Wanted to roll back as I was within the time limit and guess what? Files have been removed and I can't.
I only upgraded because I thought if I don't like it I could go back.
That is obviously not the case. Microsoft are conning us.

nukecad
11-09-15, 19:21
Sea Queen;

As I said before in an earlier post this one. (http://www.youreable.com/forums/showthread.php/11390-Windows-10-is-here-%28nearly%29-and-its-FREE?p=90655&viewfull=1#post90655)This is just the usual 'NSA / Government conspiracy / BIG Brother' nutters making a fuss.
They do this every time some new, popular, software is released.
You should see what they say about Faceache and Twitter, although oddly they don't make much fuss about Google which records everything that anyone puts online - so that you can search for it.
(You will find that a lot of these people complaining about privacy also use the 'Dark Web' because what they are doing is dodgy or illegal and so they don't want to be seen).

Go into settings and turn all the tracking off, again see my earlier posts.

beau;

Sorry to hear that you are having problems, did you upgrade from Win7?
It seems that there have been more niggles with upgrades from Win 7 than from Win 8.1, maybe because the hardware tends to be older.

I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and have had no problems.
A few niggles but soon sorted out, although I admit I am a bit more savvy than some when it comes to the Windows operating system.

Is there anything in particular that I may be able to help with?

The 'rollback' was only supposed to be available for one month, and yes I have seen reports that rolling back to Win7 has not gone smoothly for some who tried it.
I haven't seen any problems with rolling back to Win8.1, maybe because most Win 8.1 upgraders are happy with Win10 and haven't tried to rollback?

My own experience of this is that the Rollback option disappeared from Windows Update after the month was up but all the old operating system files were still there in a folder called 'windows.old' so it would still be possible, but not as easy, to restore the old OS if wanted. I had to delete this folder myself when I decided to get rid.

(Look on your system drive, probably C:/, for a folder called 'windows.old' - it is not easy to delete this folder even if you want to, it is classed as a system folder so you need to have admin and system permissions to delete it using Disccleanup).

beau
11-09-15, 19:50
Thank you Nukecad.

I upgraded from 8'1 and should have been able to roll back, I was only 2 weeks into it but when I tried it said I couldn't as files had been deleted.

The problems I have found are

1) On shut down the programs close but the power is not shut off, have to do it manually.
2) Goes to sleep rapidly when left and won't wake up. Have to power off and start again although after I have entered my password and opened Edge, what I was looking at is still there instead of having to reopen windows. I have changed all the settings to maximum and nothing has changed.
3) Pages freeze, and refresh doesn't always work, so again have to restart from the menu. I often get blank pages too and have to "go back" and start again.
4) Takes ages to boot up and ages for web pages to load.
5) I run CCleaner daily and there are thousands of files deleted instead of the few I used to have. I blame Edge for that.

Looked on PC Advisor and followed all the suggestions to no avail. In fact it appears there are lots of folk having the same problems.
Not as though this is an old laptop, only just over a year old.
To be honest I sometimes feel like throwing it out of the window all because of Win 10.

nukecad
11-09-15, 20:52
Mmmm,

As this is a laptop I think that Numbers 1 & 2 will be power settings.
What you describe in 2 with the password is normal for a laptop that has gone to 'sleep'.

It is possible that there is a manufacturers programme that was provided with the laptop which is overriding / taking precedence over the Windows settings.
I have an ASUS laptop which had a power saving utility from ASUS itself, one of the 'Windows Updates' (can't remember which) updated all the ASUS drivers for some reason which changed these power settings back to their defaults.
I had to go into Task Manager and disable the ASUS utility in the 'Start-up' tab so that the Windows settings were used instead. (I actually then uninstalled the ASUS utillity so it wouldn't happen again).

Number 3 sounds more like a WiFi thing, but:
You say that you are using Edge so I think that that may be the problem.
Edge is still a work in progress and is not finished or stable yet. (Same as Cortana, it sort of works but has been put out too early).

Try using Internet Explorer instead of Edge. (Thats why IE is still there on the desktop, Edge isn't finished yet).
Better yet get a better browser, I prefer Firefox - https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/new/?scene=2#download-fx
(I don't like Google Chrome and if you install it it's a bugger to clean it off fully again).

Number 4 could be for various reasons.
The boot time would suggest to me that you have a lot of things in the 'Start-up' list that you probably don't need.
If this is correct then I would expect that you get to the lock/password screen in about 3 to 5 seconds, enter your password, and then it takes 'ages' to get to the desktop?
(I only have one programme enabled in the 'Start-up' list and mine takes about 3 secs to get to the lock screen, press enter for the password screen, put in my password, another 3 or 4 seconds to the Desktop).

The problem with web pages loading could be WiFi, but again I suspect Edge.

Number 5.
Odd, there have been complaints on the CCleaner forum that it is not cleaning Edge files at all, just skips them.
Again I think you are right that this is Edge, same advice to use another browser until Edge is finished.
Just for a trial untick all the Edge boxes in CC and see what happens when you run, you can always tick them again.
Also - Do you have CC professional or the free version?

Just a note about Edge files.
The main reason why Edge has been released before it is finished is because the Windows 10 operating system uses its resources to perform other tasks.
(Just as Windows Explorer resources are used by anything that opens a Window on the desktop, not just by Windows Explorer).
So even if you are not using Edge itself CCleaner and similar will still see Edge files.

Hope some of the above helps.

Not realy needed but just for interest what are your laptop specs? (CPU, Ram, HD size)
If you are not sure you can use speccy (https://www.piriform.com/speccy) to find out, its from the same people as CCleaner.

beau
11-09-15, 21:11
Nukecad, just a quick note because I am tired and need to go through everything step by step, I never had the password problem with 8.1 or the problem with having to power off and then on again when in sleep mode because it wouldn't wake up.

Will go through your post carefully tomorrow when I am more alert.

beau
12-09-15, 08:50
Nukecad, I have changed the power settings to maximum all to no avail. On PC Advisor others have found this too.

Will try the unclick for Edge on C CLeaner and see what happens. I have the free version.

Will try to find Explorer again and use that instead of Edge and see what happens. I am no longer able to really cope with technology as I do things then promptly forget what I have done to get there. Sad when I was always technically minded and could cope with most stuff.

Off to try CCLeaner with Edge unticked and see what happens.

I have a HP Pavilion with CPU 1.6 GHz, 8.0 RAM and 750Gig HD

beau
12-09-15, 09:50
Nukecad, tried what you recommended re C Cleaner and yes it is much faster with Edge unticked. It really does seem that Edge is the problem with that.

Found IE but I am struggling to find where to make it my default browser instead of Edge.

reddivine
12-09-15, 09:50
Good choice Raspberry Ripple you won't go far wrong with that.

My lodger has a Windows laptop and what I wasn't aware of was how long it takes for a PC to boot up from scratch. A Mac takes less than 60 seconds before you can use it.

My lodger turns her PC on then has the time to prepare tea then eat it before the PC can be used.

Touch wood, I've not experienced any viruses as I keep my system software up to date with free patches.

Presently on OS X Yosemite version 10.10.2

I wouldn't be surprised if a new version is released in October this year.

Bit of a mis conception there LT - the speed of her laptop has nowt to do with it being MS and not Apple. It will be affected by broadband speed, her laptops memory and what she has on it. What programmes etc.
i have MS and a very good wifi connection and can assure you MS can be speedy

nukecad
12-09-15, 15:46
Agree with that, my Wimdows 10 laptop takes about 10 seconds from pressing the on button to usable desktop, and 4 of those is the time it takes me to enter my 8 digit password.
If I have had it in sleep, instead of shutdown, then wake-up is almost instantaneous.

Beau,

Your system specs look fine, although the CPU speed is maybe a bit slow for a modern laptop, at 1.6 GHz it should be fine for day to day use.
(Mine is an Intel Celeron N2840, runs at 2.16 GHz and automatically overclocks to 2.8 Ghz when needed, I have 4GB ram, and a 1 TB harddrive.
I went for the faster CPU over the larger RAM, and have noticed that most of the time only half the ram is used/commited anyway, whereas the CPU can often reach 100% when running a lot of stuff).

Nukecad, I have changed the power settings to maximum all to no avail. On PC Advisor others have found this too.
When you were in the power settings did you take a look at the 'Additional power settings'?
These control sleep and wake-up options, whether you need a password on wake-up, what happens when you close the lid, etc.

If these still don't help then I suspect that you have a manufacturers app that is overriding the Windows power settings.
You need to find this and either turn it off or change the settings there.
First step would be to look at the items in the 'tray' at the bottom right of the screen, don't forget to click on the litle up-arrow to show the hidden ones.
Power applications etc, are often found there.

If you can't see anything there then try looking in the task manager for something with a name like 'HP Power Management'.
Once you have found what it is called you should then be able to disable or uninstall it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Found IE but I am struggling to find where to make it my default browser instead of Edge.
To make IE your default browser:
Open IE.
Click on the little 'Tools' cogwheel, top right.
Select 'Internet Options'.
Select the 'Programmes' tab.
Click on 'Make Internet Explorer the default browser'
Simples.

Whilst you are in Internet Options, you can set your default homepage on the 'General' tab.
In the same tab select 'Delete Browsing History on exit'

Nukecad, tried what you recommended re C Cleaner and yes it is much faster with Edge unticked. It really does seem that Edge is the problem with that.
The guys at Piriform, who make CCleaner, are aware of the problems with cleaning Edge and are trying to solve them for later updates to CC.
The problem they are having is that as I said Edge is a work in progress and so as soon as the get one thing fixed Edge changes and new cleaning problems appear.
I had another thought about your slow bootup;

Do you have a lot of 'Live Tiles' running?
These are the ones that show a small animated picture or video instead of just an icon.
Tiles like the Weather app that is constantly updating.

All these need to load on boot and can slow boot down, especially the video ones.
You can turn them back to just an icon by right clicking on them and selecting 'Turn Live Tile Off'

Good luck with speeding things up.

EDIT
I'm just guessing here but I would not be surprised if turning of any Live Tiles will also reduce the number of Edge files for CCleaner.
These tiles will be using the Edge utilities in the background to store their logs, etc.

beau
12-09-15, 16:26
Thank you Nukecad no live tiles, I hate them so just icons. Correct box is ticked for password, think I did that a week or so ago and I have checked.
Seems as if Edge will not allow the browser to be changed. Did what you have suggested to no avail.

Just banging my head against a brick wall and tearing my hair out.

nukecad
12-09-15, 21:15
My last post went missing, may be in moderation?

Try doing it this way:

Settings > System > Default apps

Scroll down and it should show what is set as the default web browser.

Click on edge (or whatever is shown as default) and a menu pops up showing any browsers you have installed. (Probably just IE, Edge, and Look in the Appstore in your case).

Click on IE to set it as the default.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm sure this is unnecessary, but just to check, how are you opening your browser?

If you click on the Edge icon it will open Edge regardless of what your default is set to.

The default is what will open if you click on a link from another programme (say a link in an email, not from an already open browser).

beau
13-09-15, 07:59
Thank you Nukecad, have set IE as default browser but I can't get an icon for it. Tried so many ways I can't remember what I have tried and what I haven't. You are correct about using the wrong icon and I did wonder about that. I have told you that I am technically a complete moron now, so frustrating when I used to be quite savvy.

Password problem and all the rest never occurred until I upgraded, everything was running smoothly and quickly.

nukecad
13-09-15, 14:26
To get the IE icon on your desktop.

Open widows explorer and browse to C:/Programme files/Internet Explorer
Right Click on iexplore.exe
In the menu that pops up select 'Send to' and then 'Deskop (create shortcut)'
This will put an IE icon on the desktop.

The password from sleep thing is controled by those 'additional' settings settings I mentioned before.
If it still dosen't work then I realy suspect that you have a HP power manager that is overriding the Windows settings.

But lets try one other thing first.
Instead of using the new settings utility in Win10 you can still use the old style 'Control panel' which gives a slightly different way of doing it.
This will walk you through it, its written for Win8 on HP but the screens you see are the same in Win10
http://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03397760
Again the password from sleep setting is in the Advanced Options.
You will see that there are two settings, one for if on battery and one for if plugged in.

Mine looks like this

beau
13-09-15, 14:45
Nukecad thank you for spending so much time helping me.

Since the last updates yesterday, sleep is appearing to wake up, don't know whether it is something I have done or what the updates have done.

Looked at task manager and there are no underlying programs running, I think I switched off HP the other day even though it was said not to be recommended.

Off now to try the latest fix for an icon.
Thanks again

beau
13-09-15, 14:57
Nukecad, you are a star, I have now got the icon for IE.
I really cant thank you enough for all you help and time you have taken.
I am now heaving a huge sigh of relief.
Thank you so much again.

beau
13-09-15, 18:02
I also meant to say that I find IE 11 much faster than Edge and there are no problems with screen freeze or blank screens.
Possibly because Edge has so much going on in the background judging by the number of files needing to be cleared daily.

nukecad
13-09-15, 18:28
I think I switched off HP the other day
I think you probably did if the windows power settings are now being used.

Maybe Edge will get better as it evolves, but TBH I'm not going to use it anytime soon, I'll stick with FF.

Glad to hear that things are running better for you.

Just wish we could get your boot time sorted out, it's more difficult to sort out just what is going on there as there are so many things that could affect it.
How long is it taking you now from pressing the power button to the Desktop coming up?

As I say my boot was quite fast with 8.1 and is even faster with 10.
But once or twice after the 'Cumulative Updates' have installed it slowed down again, only for a day or two then went back to the speedy booting.

I think to optimise yours really needs to get somebody 'hands on' who can see just what is going on at boot on your laptop.

beau
13-09-15, 18:52
I am being patient at the moment so long as the usage is faster and no screen freeze I can put up with that.
You have sorted a total moron out by spending your valuable time.

I was looking at Microsoft help and they may have been talking double Dutch as far as I was concerned. It is so frustrating that I used to be able to sort teacher's computers in the Science Department out for them and now I can't even sort my own.
Thank you.

beau
14-09-15, 08:59
Ran C Cleaner this morning, and guess what, very few files to be removed so it was done in an instant. Makes me wonder what Edge is doing in the background.
Boot up seems to be a little faster too.

Folk have asked me about Win 10 and I have said don't go there.

nukecad
17-09-15, 16:15
Heres an interesting one, and a bit of a laugh.

I was looking through some of my old computer junk yesterday and came across a CD for the game 'Lemmings'.
An old CD, 1995, and so meant to run on Windows95.

For a laugh I decided to bung it into the Windows10 laptop - and it runs OK.
It wont read the helpfiles without a conversion programme.(They changed the way windows reads helpfiles in Vista).
But the game itself plays fine, so I am now sheperding little blue guys with green hair around the levels. And watching them explode.
I had forgotten how good this game can be.

For anybody who likes the old style games there is a hidden 1970's one in google.

Open google and in the search box type atari breakout
Then click the 'images' button below the searchbox.
Watch as all the images form up into a wall and a paddle appears.
Move the paddle with your mouse and bounce the ball to break through the wall.
Clear all the bricks to get to the next level.

There are quite a few of these hidden 'easter eggs' in google.
Try typing in do a barrel roll and clicking the search icon for another one.
(If it dosen't work at first try pressing F5)

nukecad
29-10-15, 22:47
I've just had a large update downloaded, needs a restart.

(KB3105210, although there is no Knowledge Base article for it yet).
It is believed that this is a precursor for the major upgrade (as opposed to update) to Windows 10 that is due next week, supposed to be on 2nd Nov.

Known as "Threshold 2" (or the Fall Upgrade) this is the first of the new way that Microsoft will now be continually upgrading Windows rather than waiting a few years to bring out a totaly new version.

Among other new things stated to be included in this upgrade are-

SMS texting from the desktop. (I think this may be the most interesting for everyday users).
A new Messaging app pre-installed with the operating system that will allow you to chat with friends on Skype.
Improvements to the Edge browser (unspecified just what improvements).
Improvements to Cortana (again unspecified at this time).
Some new customisation options, eg. to the start menu.

There is also a change to the way that product keys will be handled when you upgrade from Win7 or Win8.1, you will keep the same product key rather than getting a new one for Win10.
Once its released next week anyone who hasn't yet upgraded to 10 yet will get this new version when they do.

Lets just hope next weeks upgrade goes well without too many hitches.
(There are always going to be a few, usually where people have non-standard, custom built or enhanced, computers).

nukecad
30-10-15, 11:46
Well it seems that KB3105210 was a security update, and not the Threshold 2 precursor.

However KB3106932 released at the same time does seem to be part of Threshold 2, it includes the product key thing mentioned above for those yet to upgrade to Windows 10.

Just to note that with this Threshold 2 major update due in a couple of days I will be making a backup of all my documents, pictures, etc. onto a memory stick this weekend - just in case.

I would advise anyone else using Windows 10 to do the same, better safe than sorry.

To make a simple backup of your files
Just plug in a memory stick.
(The size needed will depend on how many documents, pictures, videos, and music files you have. You could also use OneDrive or another cloud storage site instead of a stick).
Open a File Explorer window onto this memory stick.
Open a second File Explorer onto 'This PC' and right click on the 'Documents' folder.
Select copy.
Go to the Memory stick window, right click and select paste.
Do the same for the 'Pictures' folder, and then the 'Videos' folder and the 'Music' folder as required.

You now have a copy of all your personal files on the stick, so if anything goes wrong with you computer for whatever reason at least you still have these and can copy them back if needed.

This is something that you should do regularly on any computer and any operating system, once a week or once a month, depends how many new files you have since the last one.
(I make a folder on an 8gig stick called 'backup date' and copy the files into there.
I will usually have at least 3 of these folders from different dates on the stick and usually delete the oldest when I make a new one).

The method above is the simplest way of making a data backup yourself.

If you want to get a bit more technical you could use the Windows backup utility
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-back-up-your-files
This can back up your files at intervals you specify, from every 10 minutes to once a day.
It usually needs the memory stick, or other external drive to be plugged in all the time.

There are also backup programmes available, free or paid for, that will backup just your files, all your installed programmes, or even your entire system, whichever you want to do.

nukecad
02-11-15, 12:54
Bit of a change, the major upgrade for Win 10 is now scheduled for November 10th.

nukecad
11-11-15, 13:09
They only did security updates yesterday.

Big update now supposed to be on the 12th.

More about the changes and new features here:
http://www.windowscentral.com/whats-new-windows-10-fall-update

nukecad
12-11-15, 21:11
So I have downloaded and installed this upgrade today.

This new version of Windows 10 is offically called "Windows 10 Home, version 1511"
(or build 10586 if you are on the Windows Insider loop).

This is a major upgrade, it's BIG, expect it to take a couple of hours at least to download and install.
Or leave your computer turned on overnight and let it do most of the work whilst you are in bed.
(You can leave it in 'sleep'mode, it should wake up to do the download).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~
My upgrading experience-
I started the download manually (from Update & Security) at 14:45.
It took until 17:20 to download all the files. So 2 hours 35 mins.
Yours may be faster it depends on your broadband speed. (Mine is not that fast @2.5 Mbps).

After the download had finished it started to 'Prepare for installation'.
After 15 mins it was up to 30%. (I got bored and went for a pint, so-) I'm estimating 45 mins for this.

Got back from the pub and the screen was showing that a restart had been scheduled to complete the installation.
No thanks, I'll click on the 'Restart Now' button.
After 10 mins of the usual update-restart screen, it went blank for a bit and then a new screen came up saying:
" UPDATING WINDOWS
your Pc will restart several times"
and a big circle in the middle of the screen showing the percentage progress.
This stage went on for another 50 minutes before finally getting to the normal Login screen.

So I logged in and was presented with some daft and anoying screens saying things like 'HI', 'Welcome we have updated your PC', 'All your files are where they were', 'We have some great new features for you; etc., etc.
I say anoying because you just have to sit through them, your can't shortcut them you just have to wait.

5 mins later and finally got the Desktop.

So total time to download and install (estimating what it did whilst I was at the pub) 4 hours and 25 mins.
As I say if you have a faster broadband connection than mine yours should not take as long.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

Initial impressions.
Everything seems to have gone OK.

There are some colour and layout changes to the start menu, pop up menus, etc.

'OneDrive' kept asking me to login with my Microsoft account details.
I just closed the window and ignored it, I don't use OneDrive.
I suspect that it's turned itself on as default again and I'll have to go and turn it off.

There is a new desktop icon installed- 'Audio Wizard'.
May take a look at what that is later.

One of my existing desktop icons has gone blank.
(I know how to fix that by rebuilding the icon cache).

Other than that most things look the same, but I haven't had a good play yet.
Most of the updates are about the Operating System, so things that happen in the background that you don't realy see.

(There does seem to be something a bit odd with icons flashing and the cursor jumping about as I type this.
But it's corner of the eye stuff so I'm not sure).

I'll shortly go off and see what Microsoft has decided should be turned on, and then turn it off again if I don't like it.

Hope everyones upgrade goes as well as this seems to have.

beau
12-11-15, 21:23
Mine did some updates automatically tonight but until I find time to look I don't know what they are. I had left the laptop on whilst I was wrapping presents so was gone for about an hour.

beau
12-11-15, 21:44
Apparently it was the upgrade, I have just had a message asking how satisfied I was with the upgrade.
The only thing I can see at the moment is that everything has gone out of the apps box except for power and apps. Bizarre.

nukecad
12-11-15, 22:00
You mean the apps on the start menu?

The ones I had are still all there, but their background colour has changed from grey to blue.

And I've just noticed that there is some blue text saying 'New' next to the 'All apps' selection.
This hasn't clipped correctly (glitch in this upgrade, they resized the start menu) but you can see what I mean

beau
12-11-15, 22:06
Mine is still dark grey.
I think there was a blue "new" at the side of apps. I clicked apps and the rest of the missing menu appeared and is still there.
You know me though, stupid as they come with technology now.

nukecad
12-11-15, 22:18
Has the upgrade actually been installed, or has it just been downloaded and is scheduled to install later?

I think from what you say there that it has installed.

If you want to check go to-
Start menu > Settings > Update & security > Windows Update

It should tell you there if a restart has been scheduled to finish installing it.

If it does not show a scheduled restart then click on 'Advanced options' and then 'View your update history'.
If that says 'No updates have been installed yet' then the new version has been installed.
If it gives a list of updates then it has not been installed yet.

Lighttouch
12-11-15, 23:13
As we belong to a disability forum I wonder how user friendly the Windows 10 interface is.

Apple build in adaptations so that people who are bind or visually impaired, deaf or hearing impaired, physically impaired or have learning difficulties can use the system software. http://www.apple.com/accessibility/

Apple has released free new system software which I'll leave out until they've corrected any glitches there may be.

I can only guess that Windows software actively engages with disabled users.

nukecad
13-11-15, 00:10
The ease of access options with Windows are getting much better than they used to be.

Whether they are good enough I can't judge personally.

The new style settings have a built in Narrator, magnifier, Hi contrast settings, closed captions, various keyboard and mouse options, visual notifications for sounds, etc.
Win10 access settings (http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/windows-10-settings-menu-the-ease-of-access-tab/)

There is also the 'old style' control panel still available in Win10.
This is probably easier to set up for certain situations with clear one touch settings such as 'Use the computer without a display / optimise for blindness' and 'use the computer without a mouse or keyboard'

When you first open this the top four options, in the box, are read out aloud to you.
Click this to see a larger image-

And of course there are always third party programmes you can install to improve ease of access.

EDIT
Almost forgot to mention Cortana.
Its a digital assistant (like Siri on the Mac) and takes voice commands to do almost anything you need on the PC, open programmes, search in browsers (not sure if that only works in Edge and IE11), etc.
They reckon that with this latest upgrade you can order taxis, takeaways, etc.
But I think you may need to be synced to a Windows phone for that, and maybe have location turned on so it can find the nearest?

beau
13-11-15, 08:25
Nukecad, I am pretty certain it has been installed as when I came back to the laptop after leaving it all that time last evening and woke it up it closed down then did a restart. Busy today again but I will look over the weekend.

nukecad
13-11-15, 16:14
You will have it now then, the closing down and restart will have been a scheduled install.

To be honest having had a look around the system I can't see a great lot of difference except for the colour settings and the look of the menus, and a few new Settings options.

Of course most of this upgrade was to do with how things happen deep in the bowels of your PC.

I don't use Cortina (sic) or Edge which were the other main focus this time around.

To update from my previous post-

The blank desktop icon I noted in my post about the upgrade has now corrected itself without me taking any action.

The blue 'New' next to 'All apps' in the start menu seems to just be an indication that there are some new apps available.
If you open 'All apps' it shows an alphabetical list that also has a blue 'New' next to any newly available app.

NOTE- this blue 'accent' colour, used as a backgroud for app tiles and lots of other places, is set by default to pick up its colour setting from your background.
You can change it to any colour you like in Settings > Personalisation > Colours

The problem with the mouse cursor and flashing icons is a touchpad setting.
They updated the touchpad driver to use their own and not the computer manufacturers, cheeky buggers.

beau
13-11-15, 16:20
I really haven't noticed any difference at all. I did wonder if the updates yesterday were the planned ones, obviously they were.

nukecad
13-11-15, 16:46
To be sure go to: Start > Settings > System > About

If the 'Version' says '1511' then you have the new one.

beau
13-11-15, 17:14
Thank you, it is the latest version

uncle bob
02-04-16, 22:55
I upgraded to Windows 10 at the start of the year but was not impressed and confused the hell out of me .....down graded back to 8.1....today gave windows 10 another go and seems to be going well ...or I'm a little me patient this time round :)

sea queen
20-05-16, 17:18
Not happy!
I left my laptop on to do some chores and one my return it was putting in Windows 10!
I didn't action this.
When the pop up comes up I just click the X.

Is it compulsory now?

tom34
20-05-16, 21:37
Well i built a new pc recently and am running Win7 on it and have no intention of running win10 on it, not only because of the privacy issues and MS selling your data to 3rd parties ,and that the end user cannot simply turn it all off, it only allows the EU to disable some of it's spy ware, then there is the issue with windows updates it lacks the options for only downloading or installing updates when & if you choose to do, Sorry but it is my PC and i control it and software running on it not microsoft

nukecad
21-05-16, 15:13
Not happy!
I left my laptop on to do some chores and one my return it was putting in Windows 10!
I didn't action this.

Is it compulsory now?

No it's not compulsory, but Microsoft are being sneaky with it again.

It seems that this last month they have made it a 'Recomended' update that you have to cancel if you don't want it.
http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/microsoft-windows-10-upgrades-get-more-sneaky-pushy/

They did something similar about six months ago by making it an 'Optional' update but pre-ticking the box.
They were roundly critisized at the time.

Any body who is still running Win7 or 8.1 and who does not want to upgrade to 10 should be careful to check what boxes are ticked when doing a Windows Update.
EDIT- and turn off Automatic Updates (remember if you turn this off then you should check manually for them every so often).

SQ,
Why not give Windows 10 a go, I and many others quite like it now.
In fact I prefer it to Windows 7 or 8.1, when I have to go on a machine that uses one of those I start missing things that are in 10.

Like everything else new it will take a bit to get to get used to it but it soon becomes second nature.
If your having problems take a read back through here at the conversations between Beau and myself, or ask and I'll try to help.

Of course you still have time (30 days) to set your machine back the way it was, you can easily find how to do this on line.

One other thing, Microsoft are saying that after the one year free upgrade offer ends, on 29 July this year, you will have to pay to get Windows 10.
Personally I suspect that they will suddenly announce an extension to the offer, or come up with some other FREE offer.

tom34
21-05-16, 19:07
I as an extra measure to prevent lots of unwanted data being downloaded and written on my SSD for it to be deleted (Win10 upgrade via the back-door)

Now use a free utility called GWX control panel ,As it saves inspecting every available update every patch Tuesday for any signs of it being part of Win 10 or it's telemetry(spy ware) which on my win7 is all disabled http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html

sea queen
23-05-16, 08:23
Well I gave it a go, and wasn't too impressed with the pictures side of it but could find my way around the changes and came to conclusion I would get used to it.
Yesterday the bottom bar froze and I couldn't log out. I needed to take the battery out of laptop.
I'm not sure if this was to do with the 10 as it's never happened before.

It's out! and I'm back to 8.1!

Beaufort
23-05-16, 13:19
A problem I have with windows 10 is it often logs me out if I go away from the computer for a few minutes - sometimes for as little as 30 seconds.

nukecad
23-05-16, 15:05
A problem I have with windows 10 is it often logs me out if I go away from the computer for a few minutes - sometimes for as little as 30 seconds.
This is probably your power settings, you can set them to turn off after as little as one minute of idle time.

Take a look at your Settings>System>Power and sleep, and increase the turn off and sleep times if necessary.

Here's a screenshot of my laptop power settings, yours should be similar but may not have the battery options if you are on a desktop PC.

EDIT- I remember that Beau had a few problems with these settings, you might want to read back through earlier posts if the above doesn't fix your problem.

nukecad
23-05-16, 15:38
Well I gave it a go, and wasn't too impressed with the pictures side of it but could find my way around the changes and came to conclusion I would get used to it.
Yesterday the bottom bar froze and I couldn't log out. I needed to take the battery out of laptop.
I'm not sure if this was to do with the 10 as it's never happened before.

It's out! and I'm back to 8.1!

Well if you've gone back to 8.1 then this probably doesn't apply, but:

Do you mean the 'Live Tiles' a-la Windows 8.0?
These are the ones that show a small animated picture or video instead of just an icon.
All these need to load on boot and can slow boot down, especially the video ones.
You can turn them back to just an icon by right clicking on them and selecting 'Turn Live Tile Off'

Or it could have been that you had it in 'Tablet mode' rather than 'Desktop mode' again this is swtchable:
http://www.howtogeek.com/221973/what-is-tablet-mode-in-windows-10-and-how-to-turn-it-on-and-off/

The problem with the task bar and start menu freezing has been reported by a few people after April's Patch Tuesday updates.
There is a fix but I can't rember it at the moment.
If anyone else is having this problem I'll look it up again.

Beaufort
23-05-16, 16:58
This is probably your power settings, you can set them to turn off after as little as one minute of idle time.

Take a look at your Settings>System>Power and sleep, and increase the turn off and sleep times if necessary.

Here's a screenshot of my laptop power settings, yours should be similar but may not have the battery options if you are on a desktop PC.

EDIT- I remember that Beau had a few problems with these settings, you might want to read back through earlier posts if the above doesn't fix your problem.

Thank you nukecad - I've now changed the settings. Fingers/toes crossed. Thanks again.

sea queen
23-05-16, 19:53
Well if you've gone back to 8.1 then this probably doesn't apply, but:

Do you mean the 'Live Tiles' a-la Windows 8.0?

Or it could have been that you had it in 'Tablet mode' rather than 'Desktop mode' again this is swtchable:
http://www.howtogeek.com/221973/what-is-tablet-mode-in-windows-10-and-how-to-turn-it-on-and-off/

The problem with the task bar and start menu freezing has been reported by a few people after April's Patch Tuesday updates.
There is a fix but I can't rember it at the moment.
If anyone else is having this problem I'll look it up again.

It wasn't in tablet mode.
Purely the bottom task bar - the desk top icons were working but I can't turn it off from any of those.
#Hp[efully now I've reverted back to 8.1 I won't have any more problems

ChrisD
24-05-16, 01:12
Not happy!
I didn't action this.

Is it compulsory now?
A similar thing happened to me 4 days ago !!!

When I realised what was happening and after coming out with a few choice words I allowed the "Windows 10" so-called upgrade to finish installing. When it had finished my Packard Bell laptop had effectively been destroyed.

* Some of my application software programmes had disappeared, as had many data files including over 600 music mp3 files.
* I was unable to play videos both online (using Youtube for example) or from a DVD in the DVD disk drive.
* The laptop's internal speakers don't work anymore.

The Packard Bell Support Line eventually managed to resolve the video problem, but not the lack of sound. Their advice is to restore back to "Windows 7". The tech I spoke to advised that the "Windows 10 upgrade" is throwing up many many problems.

I realise there is at least one Windows 10 enthusiast on this forum, but the truth is why do so many IT professionals advise against making the upgrade? It is becoming very apparent that upgrades to relatively new computers are generally okay. It is the older computers that are being hit by the ensuing difficulties and problems.

---

Sea Queen - Don't trust being able to hit "the X" to stop an automatic upgrade. Far better to disconnect from the internet before leaving your computer unmonitored. Reconnect when you return.

Chris

sea queen
24-05-16, 09:12
Chris I just let it run as I knew I could get rid of it if didn't like it, ( I couldn't stop it if I had wanted to it just took over my laptop !! ) which obviously happened.
A friend tells me the newer upgrades don't tend to work very well in older machines - I think he's right!

nukecad
24-05-16, 15:27
Microsoft are at it again.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36367221

If you do not want Win 10 then be very careful what you click when you are dismissing the upgrade notification.

DO NOT JUST CLICK ON THE RED X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER.
This is the normal way to close a window, but in this case it will close the window but will still leave a scheduled time for Windows10 to install itself.

If you do not want Win 10 then do not click the OK button, this will install Win 10 straight away.

To dismiss this window without scheduling the upgrade you need to click in the the middle of the notification - on the blue word 'here'

If you inadvertantly click on the red X and set a scedule you can still cancel it in the windows update section of your control panel.

Microsoft are doing themselves no favours with these sneaky, underhand tactics.
They are acting very close to the line, using similar tactics to many malware/virus distributors.

nukecad
25-05-16, 13:10
That didn't take long; Microsoft have done a U-turn on this today, well a tweek not a full u-turn.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36376962

They say that they have redesigned the pop-up so that it now opens a second pop-up that says asks for confirmation of the scheduling if you click on the red X (close box) in the first pop up.
They say:
"If the customer wishes to continue with their upgrade at the designated time, they can click 'OK' or close the notifications with no further action needed."
Thats clicking OK in the second pop-up NOT in the first pop-up.
(Good way to make things simpler Microsoft1586 )

I've not see this new style pop-up yet; (aparently neither has the BBC, they are still showing the old one) but I would still advise anybody who does not want Windows 10 (yet) to be very careful and to read just what they are clicking in any pop-up from Microsoft.

If they have not changed it completely then I would still do as mentioned above.
To dismiss the window without scheduling the upgrade you need to click on the blue word in the notice:
"Click here to change upgrade schedule or cancel scheduled upgrade"

deebee
12-06-16, 08:15
I have been without my computer for about three months
Been doing all internet based jobs on my phone
Last weekend whilst I was up North,my son installed a disk I had ordered and also upgraded to windows 10
I didn't get a look in all week,as he was on it constantly
He is now at his nans for the weekend,which meant I could have a go
Day one I was over the moon,and got ready to start a project I have been putting off for two months as I did not want to do it on my phone
Day two I have managed to break the computer again 😞
My son is not very pleased with me

Lighttouch
12-06-16, 09:29
Debbee, stop messing around with that software.

Get your son to buy you a Mac Mini and use your existing keyboard, mouse and screen. https://www.apple.com/uk/mac-mini/

Once you start using Apple's system software you'll wonder why you ever used a PC running Windows.

I used to work for a large organisation that used PCs. The Compaq 'technical support' person that dealt with Windows problems owned an Applemac running the 0SX system software - I'll let you decide why!! https://www.apple.com/uk/mac-mini/osx/

deebee
12-06-16, 11:15
Lol,he is only 17 and at present has no income,but I am pretty sure he would love for ME to buy it for HIM
However,my credit card is maxed and I am struggling to get this house livable ( moved eight months ago) so no new computer for either of us right now

deebee
13-06-16, 00:54
Reminds me of when he ordered apple stickers lol,and stuck one on our pc,wishful thinking

nukecad
15-06-16, 06:36
Mac's can support Windows 1598 -

tom34
15-06-16, 17:10
There are several free apps that will stop win10 installing on your pc, and even get rid of the win10 bloat it downloads , I have a self built new PC High end hardware, running win7 sp1, and there's no way that i'll ever upgrade,/ buy win10 in it's current incarnation

nukecad
15-06-16, 21:17
I stopped all of the Windows 10 'nagware' quite easily. How did I do that?
I just upgraded to Windows 10, simples.
So yes, I was what used to be called an 'early adopter'.

But what most of the 'tin hats' don't seem to realise is that things have changed.
'Early adopters' have become the norm. It happened about 5 years ago.
OK forget that for now.

I have, and still use, Windows 98 on a desktop computer.
Is it better than XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8.*, or Win 10?
For the reason I still have Win 98 then - yes, I still want it.
For general use and connecting to the internet - no, it's a different thing.
(Would you prefer a 1960's Mini Cooper, or a 2015 Mini Cooper? They both do the same basic job of getting you from A-B).

Nobody likes when things change from what you are used to, but you have to embrace the good and rail against the bad.
(and at the moment there seems to be lots of railing against Win 10 in certain quarters).

As always it's up to your choice, (and like me you may want to keep an older version for a good reaonn).

But don't make your choice for the wrong reason, and as with everything else in life, keep up or get left behind.

EDIT
And just to add I have used in the pas t- Primos, Unix, Linux, HP OS, TOS, DOS, system (very early OSX), and they all had their good points and bad points.
But they all evolved, the ones that didn't keep up with the times got lost in history.

nukecad
30-06-16, 13:33
Microsoft have changed the Windows 10 'nagware' again.

This time they have made it much simpler to decline the upgrade to Win 10.

There are now 3 clear, big, buttons - "Upgrade now" "Choose time" "Decline free offer"

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-to-make-saying-no-to-windows-10-update-easier/

A bit late in the day to finally get it right as there is only one month left to get the FREE upgrade to Windows 10, after that you are going to have to pay to get it.
(Probably- no-one is sure if Microsoft is just going to finish the offer dead, extend the offer, or give a different offer).

Just to be clear about this as there are rumours circulating on the web again-

This does not mean that you will now need to pay a yearly subscription for Windows10 - Microsoft have made it very clear that this will not happen.
I covered this misinformation about fees before in post #27 of this thread, heres a link:
http://www.youreable.com/forums/showthread.php/11390-Windows-10-is-here-(nearly)-and-its-FREE?p=90655&viewfull=1#post90655

What it may mean is that if you have not taken up the free offer and installed Windows 10 by 29 July 2016 then you are going to have to pay to install it.

If you are still running Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 expect to get a lot of 'encouragement' to upgrade in these last few weeks of the free offer.

nukecad
12-07-16, 14:56
Just a reminder that the FREE upgrade to Windows 10 from Win-7 and Win-8/8.1 officially comes to an end on 29 July.
You only have 2-1/2 weeks to get it free; after that you will have to pay for it.
They show no signs (yet) of extending the Free Upgrade offer.

For those already with Windows10 the aniversary update will be launched on 2 August. (Make you backups just in case).
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/06/29/windows-10-anniversary-update-available-august-2/

This confirms Microsoft's new model of releasing a (free) major update every six months or so rather than releasing a new (paid for) version every four or five years.

beau
03-08-16, 18:10
Hubby has found out that in the case of special needs the Win 10 upgrade is still free. Apparently there is a tick box that allows you to upgrade for free in such cases.

nukecad
03-08-16, 18:35
This is being talked about online.

If you use 'asistive technology' then you can still upgrade from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. for free.

It does not check if you are actually using AT, so anyone who knows can use it.
I'll try to post a link to the download page when I get back to my laptop.

nukecad
03-08-16, 19:12
Here's a direct link to the Microsoft website that has the 'Assistive Technologies' upgrade.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

It is official from Microsoft, it's not illegal, it's not dodgy.
(Well maybe a bit dodgy if you don't need or use AT).

I'm not sure exactly how this is working in practice, you may need to have one of the narator, magnifier, or other assistive options turned on before clicking for the upgrade? But I don't think so, I've not seen this mentioned anywhere.

TBH, I would have thought that anyone who wanted Windows 10 for free would have got it by now.

nukecad
05-08-16, 08:45
Well I got fed up of waiting for the Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade to arrive so I decided to speed things up.

If you go to 'Settings>Windows Update>Learn more' you will be taken to a Microsoft webpage where you can click on a big blue button to 'Get the Aniversary Update Now'.

It took over 4 hours to download and install. (The wi-fi I'm using is slowwwww, that's what you get for living rural).

Admittedly that time did include a very helpful "Something went Wrong - Try again" message after 1-1/2 hours of downloading.1632

Now it's installed it seems OK, you don't realy notice any changes at first - apart from the start menu.

It did reset some privacy settings, Share your Location for adverts targeted to where you are, Let apps track what websites you are visiting, etc.
Some you get a chance to turn off during the install, but others you have to go into settings and turn off yourself.

It didn't remove any apps or progammes, (earlier updates did this for some apps on some PC's) but some desktop icons have changed slightly.

It also put an AudioWizard icon on the desktop for some reason. (I just deleted the icon).

TBH the main changes and new app's are things that I don't use and don't intend to, although you might-

e.g.
The new "Ink" app that lets you draw and write with a stylus on touchscreen tablets/laptops. (Don't have a touchscreen).
Improvements to the Edge browser, including plug-ins. (I use Firefox not Edge).
Improvements in Cortana and how it learns about your habits. (Don't use it, turned most of it off except for a minimal searchbox).
Facial or Fingerprint recognition for logging in. (My beard comes on and off which would confuse it).
Syncing with Andriod phones. (No thanks).
Better for X-box games. (Do I look like a teenager?).
Native 'bash' shell for Linux. (I might use this, but would you know what it was?).

There are other new features and changes to the underlying Operating System.
For instance you can now set Windows Defender to do a periodic scan in addition to your Anti-virus.

I do like the new 'Dark mode' for the settings, the calculator, and other app windows.
Find it at Settings>Personalisation>Colours it's at the bottom of the screen with light/dark buttons; give it a go its easier on the eyes.

Lighttouch
24-09-16, 09:14
That was amusing . . .

A chap from an Indian call centre phoned to let me know that my Windows PC had been infected and a whole host of other things Microsoft had spotted. I let him ramble on from his screen script until he detected I wasn't taken in as I use a Mac!

His polite tone changed and he told me to F Off before slamming the phone down.

So just a heads up Windows people don't fall for any of these kinds of scam - they're just after your credit card details to wipe your bank account clean.

nukecad
10-01-17, 22:17
It's Patch Tuesday time again - every second Tuesday of the month Microsoft releases updates to the Windows operating system.

For Windows 10 home there is a Cumulative update, a security update to Flash Player, and a Malicious Software Removal Tool check/update.

Now for the possible problem.

This is the first time ever that I have had a problem with Win 10 Automatic Updates. (And although it's early hours I am seeing some others reporting the same).
It is not a new problem, others have had the same issue happen with updates in the last 3 or 4 years, from Windows Vista onwards.

What happened was that everything went well, all downloaded etc., until it came time for a restart to finish installing the Cumulative Update.
I cicked on the "Restart Now" button and the computer shut-down and restarted with the usual update message-

"Preparing to configure Windows"
"Do not turn off your computer"
with the little dots spinning in a circle.

And there it stuck for 2 hours.

So what do you do if yours gets stuck like this?

Firstly you could give it more time to try and sort itself out, especially if yours is an older machine.

With a newer machine (less than 5 years old or so) then if it is hung like this the simplest way to get things moving again is to do what it tells you not to - Turn OFF your machine.
Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 are pretty robust at recovering if you do turn it off like this in the middle of an update.
Of course if you are not used to messing with computers it can seem scary doing something it is telling you not to.
But if your machine is stuck in a loop then what else are you going to do?

Here is what I did:
I pressed the power button to turn the machine off and held it down for about 30 seconds. (This makes sure it fully turns off. 10 secs should be enough but I like to make sure).
I then let go and pressed it again to reboot.
It came up with the manufacturers screen then after a while (longer than usual) with the login screen.
I logged in and Windows came up as normal.
Seconds later an alert popped up to say that a restart was needed, and then was replaced by second alert saying that the Update had failed to install.

There are now 2 choices-
You can either just carry on as normal and Windows will redo the update next time it automatically checks for updates.
Or you can go to Settings>Update & Security and tell it to "Check for updates" yourself.
Either way the update will download again - and ask for a restart again.

I took the second option and set it going myself.
The 'Searching for Updates' bit took minutes. (The required files had already been downloaded to the computer before the restart got stuck).
I clicked the "Restart Now" button.
Thus time the restart/update went as normal, with the screen changing after a couple of minutes to "Configuring Windows Updates, **% complete".
This new restart/configure process took 9 minutes to complete to the login screen again

So there you are, hopefully if you hit the same problem you will have read this first and know what to do.

Lighttouch
10-01-17, 22:50
Better still, do what all the PC IT guys do when using a preferred choice of computer - buy an easy to use Apple Mac that boots up and is ready to use from scratch in less than 60 seconds.

http://www.apple.com/uk/mac-mini/

stree
11-01-17, 12:36
I built myself 3 ITX machines, one Intel, 2 x AMD, all running Win7 Pro 64 bit, Boot times are 28 seconds, 33 seconds and 34 seconds.........
Microsoft support for W7 Pro until 2020, so plenty of life in it yet.
Have no need for pawing at my screen, and Win 7 does everything I want. I had W10 right from developers build, just did not find it intuitive so gave away the machine with it installed.
Win7 is the best desktop OS Microsoft made, Win 10 is a hybrid trying to be all things to be inclusive for tablets, phones etc and I find this hinders rather than helps.

achat
27-02-17, 14:07
This is the normal way to close a window, but in this case it will close the window but will still leave a scheduled time for Windows10 to install itself.

nukecad
27-02-17, 16:00
If your talking about the misleading upgrade dialogues, all of that stopped months ago when the free upgrade path closed to the public.

Windows 7 or 8.1 no longer give free upgrades to Win 10 automatically.
You have to buy Win 10 and install it yourself, or buy a new machine with Win 10 already on.

(Or you can still use the free 'Assistive Technologies Upgrade', you don't need to use assistive technologies to install it. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade).

nukecad
05-04-17, 08:43
For those who don't yet know Windows 10 is due for it's next major version upgrade next week.

This has been titled the "Creators Update" and will be Windows 10 version 1703.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/upcoming-features

The automatic rollout starts on April 11th, but it's being staggered so as not to overload the web. You might not get it until a couple of days after the 11th.
It is also available from today, April 5th, to download and install yourself if you don't want to wait:
Link removed - this installer does not always work on all PC's.
This might be a bit early though, maybe give them the next week to iron out any last minute wrinkles.

As usual a lot of the changes are in the background and you won't see them make much difference on your screen.

Paint gets a 3D mode.
Edge gets some more improvements.
There's a new Windows Security Centre to help keep you protected.

I won't list everything, its easy enough to find the main new features on google.
Make sure you look at some of the articles about 'hidden' features, these are often the ones you end up using the most.
Here's just a couple of links:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/03/29/windows-10-creators-update-coming-april-11-surface-expands-markets/#vQrZURrVJxLhyHkB.97
http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/windows-10/windows-10-creators-update-hidden-features-11364170727975

So the usual advice in preparation for any major system upgrade:

BACK UP all your documents, photos, etc. onto an external drive or memory stick just in case something goes wrong with the update process. (You should do regular backups anyway).
Not as important but it's a good idea to delete temporary files and empty the recycle bin. Windows built in Disc Cleanup will do this or you could use a 3rd party cleaner such as CCleaner from Piriform.
If you do use a 3rd party cleaning programme DO NOT use any 'registry cleaner' included - they are unnecessary and can can make your PC unstable/unusable if you don't know exactly what you are doing.
You may want to check that programmes you use regularly are up to date.
Especially check that your Anti-virus is up to date. Windows Updates can be blocked or corrupted by out of date AVs.
(A friend of mine had an old AV version that had been blocking Windows updates for over a year).

nukecad
06-04-17, 14:09
The manual way to the "Creators Upgrade" is now working if you want to get it before next weeks Automatic Update.

You need to get the new version of the Windows Update Assistant which is now available of the offical MS website.

If you already have Windows Update Assistant on your computer you should uninstall it before downloading the new one.

Then go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Click on the "Update Now" button to download the Assistant, and then double click on the downloaded file (Windows10Upgrade9252.exe) to run it.

After a few seconds wait it should tell you that you do not have the lastest build of Win 10, and that you can update to Build 15063 (which is the Creators Update) - and away you go, just follow the instructions.

I'm running it right now, but with my wifi maxing out at 7.2 Mbps it's going to take a while to download the update.

nukecad
06-04-17, 20:11
I now have the Creators Upgrade installed and running.

It installed without any problems but did take a while as expected, it's a major OS upgrade after all.

I'm still having a look around but everything I normally use is working fine.

Some things that I had set to my personal preference have been reset to Microsoft defaults, annoying but I can set them back again, it may just take a while.

I'll let you all know before the automatic roll-out next week if there are any great problems reported by those of us who have installed it early.

The biggest change that I'm seeing up to now is the new "Security Centre".
I'm still working it out, but here is a good looking article about it:
https://www.winhelp.us/configure-windows-defender-security-center.html

tom34
07-04-17, 16:23
You can apparently still download/upgrade to win 10 free should someone still wish to do that

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I find this web site very informative and usefull if you are still using Win 7 and 8.1 https://www.askwoody.com/

nukecad
07-04-17, 17:10
Hi Tom,

That Microsoft site is the media creation site.
You can download from there but you need to either already have a 'digital entitlement' to install Win 10, or pay a fee to get an entitlement for it.

You can still get windows 10 as a free upgrade if you go to the "Assistive Technology" webpage.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

nukecad
11-04-17, 10:09
The Windows 10 "Creators Update" is due to start the Automatic Rollout today, April 11th.

This means that everbody using Win 10 home should get it as an Automatic Upgrade in the next few days.

I installed it manually last Thursday and have been using it since.
The download/install went without a hitch, and Windows itself has not shown any problems.

It is a long download and install, 2 to 4 hours depending on you computer specs and broadband connection speeds, it's a major upgrade.
You may want to turn your PC on when you go to bed and leave it to do the upgrade overnight.

There have been no real changes to the things that I use, except for the new Security Centre.
I gave some links to posts about the new features that you may use in post #104 above.

I did have a problem with one programme, the "Junkware Removal Tool" from Malwarebytes.
It's not a programme that you would use everyday, if you use it at all. It is meant primarily as a tool to clean up (infected) computers
Running JRT in Creators Update would corrupt the display of any other programme until you restarted the computer.
I notified the developers of the issue on Sunday and they quickly found and fixed the problem (it was terminating a font driver), they have released a new version of JRT.
If you use JRT then get the new version, from here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/199226-junkware-removal-tool-jrt-813-released/

I have seen one or two other user issues reported online, but very few and they seem to be with fairly unusual set-ups and little used programmes.

There may be more reported as it gets rolled out to everybody worldwide, give me a shout if you have any problems and I will try to help.

tom34
19-04-17, 19:25
I don't have micro-shafts latest incarnation Win 10 installed on my PC I built my own box and get to decide if and when i install updates, and also choose what gets installed, at a time i choose, I also don't like the GUI of win 10 or 8.1 I have no use for any of the apps(bloat ware) I also think Win10 is an invasion of my privacy, too much telmetry (spyware) for me some that is not readily disabled even with the plethora of 3rd party software that claims to stop this spyware

I'm content running Win7 if it ain't broken ,why try and fix it?

tom34
19-04-17, 19:32
I built myself 3 ITX machines, one Intel, 2 x AMD, all running Win7 Pro 64 bit, Boot times are 28 seconds, 33 seconds and 34 seconds.........
Microsoft support for W7 Pro until 2020, so plenty of life in it yet.
Have no need for pawing at my screen, and Win 7 does everything I want. I had W10 right from developers build, just did not find it intuitive so gave away the machine with it installed.
Win7 is the best desktop OS Microsoft made, Win 10 is a hybrid trying to be all things to be inclusive for tablets, phones etc and I find this hinders rather than helps.Are any of the CPU's intel 6 or 7th gen & AMD equivalent's ? If so you may need to take heed of this

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3189586/microsoft-windows/microsoft-plan-to-force-pcs-with-newer-processors-to-windows-10-backfires.html

And the latest advice here: https://www.askwoody.com/

nukecad
10-05-17, 12:56
A major 'Zero Day' security flaw was found in Windows 8, 8.1, & 10 at the weekend.

It is unlikely to affect you and as of the time of writing no malware is know to have tried to exploit it.

Still, MS reacted quickly and rushed out a fix on Monday, which has now also been included as part of todays 'Patch Tuesday' cumulative update.

So make sure that your Computers' operating system is up to date.

Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 should do this auomatically - but you may want to check and do it manually.
Windows 7 users may not have automatic updates turned on, so should do the manual check.
It is not known to affect Windows XP or Vista, but may do if you have 'Microsoft Security Essentials' installed. (Always a good idea to check for updates anyway).

To manually update Windows 8, 8.1, or 10-
Go to the start menu and click on the settings icon (the little cogwheel).
Click on 'Update & Security.
Click on 'Check for Updates'.
Let it do it's thing.
If you are up to date it will say so.
If you are not up to date it will download and install the latest updates. This could take some time, and will need at least one Restart of your computer.

If you need help with updating XP, Vista, or Win7 then give a shout and I'll point you to advice, or you could google it yourself.

If you want to read more about the exploit that was found:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-emergency-patch-for-crazy-bad-windows-zero-day-bug/?loc=newsletter_small_thumb&ftag=TRE17cfd61&bhid=25195719670286873442005331614361

nukecad
16-06-17, 00:50
Even though some still have not got the spring 2017 Creators Update yet (They are being slow rolling it out to everyone)-

We are now getting to see some of the new features that will (should be) included in the next major Win10 update.
(The Fall Creators Update, due in September).

One that may be of particular interest to members here-
There is a new onscreen keyboard, which allows dictation in any programme:

You can now use dictation to input text, too. Just tap the microphone button on the keyboard or press the new dictation hotkey, which is Windows+H, and start speaking to type. The dictaiton feature also supports voice commands like “press backspace”, “delete last three words”, and “go to the end of paragraph”.

On the Ease of Access front-
There will be a 'color filters' feature designed to allow people with color blindness to easily distinguish between colors.
The magnifier and narator features also get improvements.

They are still messing about with Edge and Cortana.
There are changes to the 'handwriting' tool. (Although why you would want to use a PC/tablet for handwriting still baffles me a bit, what's wrong with a piece of paper?)

You can read about these, and other changes, here:
https://www.howtogeek.com/306610/whats-new-in-windows-10s-fall-creators-update/

phaedra
05-08-17, 22:27
"They are still messing about with Edge and Cortana"

I sorted mine, binned the pair of them :)

Lighttouch
06-08-17, 00:26
It'll be interesting to see what the new system software will be like for Apple products this September too.

I believe it will be called MacOS High Sierra

nukecad
06-08-17, 14:31
It'll be interesting to see what the new system software will be like for Apple products this September too.

I believe it will be called MacOS High Sierra
Have you seen the preview blurb?
https://www.apple.com/uk/macos/high-sierra-preview/

Lighttouch
06-08-17, 16:09
Yeah, looks interesting. Looks like I'll be able to manipulate photos without going down the photoshop route.

Just updated a patch to Sierra v 10.12.6 on my Apple iMac 27 inch. Despite the fact that my iMac is 4 years old it handles all memory hungry tasks with ease with a 2.9GHz Intel Quad Core i5 processor.

stree
29-09-17, 14:03
Had to happen sometime, I have been cornered into using Win10.......Still going to run a Win 7 box alongside though...........( I usually have 2 or 3 PCs on the go, pick and choose which I want to run.all ITX so tiny boxes)
Why cornered? well, I wanted to build another ITX on the AM4 Ryzen platform and Win 10 supported but not earlier versions, so got a Win 10 Pro 64 bit and all the hardware. All built and running so now just have to get to grips with 10, killing the telemetry and 90% of the apps inc Cortana and Edge.
I have a boot time of about 7 seconds, which is impressive, but the hardware helps that along.
Case is a Lian-Li PC-Q21b
MB is ASRock AB350-Fatality-Gaming ITX
CPU is Ryzen R3-1200
RAM.Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400-16GB ( 2x8GB)
Boot drive is Samsung EVO 960 256GB NVME M.2
Data is Seagate Firecuda Hybrid -1TB
GPU is XFX R7-240
Power is G-unique Archdaemon Limited edition ( 300 watt, handmade and custom specced to this system, specialist stuff, used them before)
System is silent, very quick and very small...........cool and low power.......

nukecad
29-09-17, 15:59
Once you get used to Win 10 you'll wonder why you didn't get it earlier.

Yep turn off their telemetry, disable Cortina (stet), disable One Drive, just ignore Edge.
Internet Explorer is still there it just needs a desktop icon creating (earlier post) or put Firefox, Chrome, or another browser on.

stree
29-09-17, 18:32
spybot anti-beacon helps with telemetry, got Firefox as default, duck gogo search, Hoxx VPN.............. working my way through it.............OK so far..............Can always go for a fix on my Win7 box!!

nukecad
11-10-17, 04:06
The new version of Windows 10 is due to start rolling out on automatic updates next week. (Starts 17/10/2017).

As with the last big one in spring you might not get it straight away, they are rolling it out slowly again.

(TBH I think they already downloaded some files to my laptop yesterday in preparation).

The usual advice with any big upgrade, make you file backups just in case.

Here's an article about what is changing:
https://windowscentral.com/fall-creators-update

One of the interesting things that is only briefly mentioned there:
"There is a new option for linking an Android or iPhone device to your Windows 10 PC."

You may have heard that Microsoft are dropping Windows Mobile 10 phones, so they are bringing out apps that will link Android phones and iPhones with your Windows 10 PC.
They are not fully finished yet, but you can install and use them.
Here's a write up on the Android Launcher:
https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-launcher-turns-your-android-phone-sexy-beast-it-could-be-even-better
And Edge for Android and iPhone: (baffles me why anybody would want Edge on their phone but apparently 10,000 iPhone users have already downloaded it from testflight).
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/864127/Windows-10-Microsoft-Edge-Web-Browser-iOS-Android-Beta

Lighttouch
11-10-17, 08:51
Apple have just launched a new system software for iPhones ad iPads - OS11 to coincide with the launch of the Apple iPhone8 and iPhone X out in early November.
https://www.apple.com/uk/ios/ios-11/

I'm without a smartphone at the moment but will be ordering the 'X' in two weeks - all exciting stuff!

nukecad
16-10-17, 01:28
On the accessibility front the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update will come with eyetracking software, so you can control the computer using just your eye movements.
(Not sure if it starts working before or after you have logged on though? I expect you will have to get to the desktop first).

You'll need to buy an eye tracking device, to start with this will only be the 'Tobii Eye Tracker 4C' at about $150 (about £110).
https://www.amazon.com/Tobii-Eye-Tracker-4C-PC/dp/B01MAWPMXQ?tag=wpcentralb-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUdUnU49633

I'll bet it's not too long before someone works out how to use a standard webcam for eye tracking rather than having to buy the extra kit.
(The eye tracker kit uses infra red to track your eyes).
There are already some rudimentary attempts at this with a standard webcam; I expect the Win10 upgrade may give them a push.
Some companies out there are already using your webcam to see roughly where you are looking on a webpage.

Here's an interesting video showing an almost finished version of it in use,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mBlgcnqttg
and an article about how to set it up.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-setup-eye-tracking-windows-10-fall-creators-update

Lighttouch
16-10-17, 08:41
It must be the season for system software upgrades. Apple has released Mac OS High Sierra and my 5 year old iMac is still able to use this software that comes with brand new iMacs.

https://www.apple.com/macos/high-sierra/

Want to move from a PC to a Mac
https://www.apple.com/macos/compatibility/

nukecad
18-10-17, 05:34
My Win 10 laptop just updated itself to the Fall Creators Edition. (Throught Automatic Updates this time, they must have put me higher up the distribution list).

It's a big update, 5-1/2 hours to download and install, another 1/2 hour on the restart.
(That's at 4 to 9 Mbps wifi download speed).

Bit of a funny one after logging in, it showed the message "HI, We have some updates for your PC" and then went to blank screen for a long time.
I was just getting ready to knock the power off/on when it decided to start playing again, flashed up 3 or 4 messages too fast to read and then went to the desktop.
I'm guessing those messages should have been showing one by one when it was blank?

All my files and installed programmes seem to have come through unscathed.

Not had time for a good look around yet but OneDrive is already being a PITA, it keeps flashing up a window asking me to login/create an account.
I know that they have made changes to how it works and syncs with other devices, but personally I don't want anything to to with OneDrive (or Cortana).

First things first, time to remember how to completely disable OneDrive, again.
Then check what privacy settings they have turned on, again.
Then check what else has changed.

stree
18-10-17, 10:25
I also turned off the password nag at the opening screen...I am the only user

nukecad
18-10-17, 11:25
I also turned off the password nag at the opening screen...I am the only user
Yes it's simple enough to do, when I'm sorting out/cleaning up someone elses laptop I always ask them if they want it on or off.

It's surprising how many people think that you have to have no choice but to have the login password on since Windows 8 came out.
Of course with Win 10 you can use a PIN number instead, or even facial recognition to log in.

For those who just want to turn off the password step altogether here's how to do it:
https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/skip-windows-10-login-screen/

If you do this then make sure you make a note of your password somewhere.
If for any reason the setting gets changed back (during an upgrade say) then you will be presented with the password entry again.

I'm not sure but I think you may also need to enter your password if you want to use the Windows Store, or use Outlook or Hotmail.

I know you have to login to those if you have your computer set to use a local account rather than a Microsoft Account, but that's a different 'tweak' and is not for everyone.

I went totaly 'local' and deleted my Microsoft Account altogether.
That was a whole story in itself, they do everything they can to discourage you including a 60 day wait before they actually close it.

stree
19-10-17, 12:55
Let me know how you go about getting rid of one drive...............sounds like another good target

nukecad
19-10-17, 14:45
Let me know how you go about getting rid of one drive...............sounds like another good target
You can't get rid of OneDrive completely, like Cortana it's built in to Windows.
For example Notepad will always try to save to it by default.

As mentioned above I don't even have a Microsoft account anymore so I don't need to disable the OneDrive cloud storage, it's not there for me.
It might seem odd but even then notepad will save to OneDrive by default.
It will still do this even if you are not connected to the internet, it's saving on the computer somewhere.
Note to self - I'll have to look into that and find where it's actually putting it on the computer.
EDIT - For anyone interested it's "C:\users\{your username}\OneDrive" and then either the "Documents" or "Pictures" folder.

If you still have a MS account then have a google for disabling OneDrive (at least the cloud storage bit of it).
Be aware that there are different ways of doing this depending on what version of Windows 10 you have.

What most users seem to want is just to remove the OneDrive icon from file explorer. It should then dissapear from 'save', 'save as', and 'open' in most other programmes as well.
Once that's gone you tend to forget OneDrive is there anyway.

Doing this is quite simple, but it does involves changing a registry entry.
If you don't know what you are doing in the registry editor you can completely screw up your computer and could even make it unworkable.
This is known as 'bricking' your computer, because it's then as much use as a brick until the operating system is reinstalled from scratch, losing all your files.
So don't do it unless you are confident.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-get-rid-of-the-onedrive-icon-in-windows-10s-file-1722592615

stree
19-10-17, 15:41
Fine, got that, thanks.

nukecad
28-10-17, 07:19
There is an issue with a new feature of the Security Centre in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

It's the "Controled Folder Access" which blocks 'Unauthorised' programmes from making changes to certain folders.
This is a supposed anti-ransomware feature to help prevent your data files from being encrypted by ransomware.
It's a pretty crude, sledgehammer-to-crack-a-nut, attempt at anti-ransomware.

The folders protected by default are your- Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, Favourites, and your Desktop folders.
You can add other folders to the protection list.

However Controlled Folder Access works on a "block everything by default" basis.
Of course Microsoft's own software is allowed through.

Any 3rd party programme/application that tries to save to, or delete something from, one of the protected folders may be blocked.
(And if you have turned off notifications you will be scratching your head as to why).

It's not clear yet just how many 3rd party programmes this affects, it seems that some are affected some are not.
eg. Softmaker FreeOffice is affected, Irfanview isn't.

So for example if you use a 3rd party Text editor you may find that it suddenly cannot save to your Documents folder.

If you find you suddenly can't save a file because of this then try saving to the OneDrive folder, this is not in the protected list by default.

There are 2 ways to fix the problem.

You can turn off Controled Folder Access altogether.
You can make the 3rd party programmes that you use an exception in the Controled Folder Access.

To allow a programme through the Controled Folder Access:
Open the Security Centre and go to Virus & Threat Protection > Virus & threat protection settings > Allow an app through controlled folder access > +add an allowed app.
Browse to the .exe file of the app you want to allow, select it and click Open.

Be aware that if you allow software through, remember Microsoft software is allowed by default, and this allowed software gets infected then you files could be encrypted anyway.
Like I say a pretty poor attempt at anti-ransomware.
Personally I've turned it off completely.