PDA

View Full Version : mangar bath cushion

numan43
07-04-2015, 02:28 PM
Hi
I had a stroke in december and I'm left with a very weak left arm and leg. I can no longer take a bath and was thinking about ordering a Mangar bath cushion to help me out and was wondering if anyone has used one.
Also is there any help that I could get with the cost as they're not cheap at around £400.

beau
07-04-2015, 03:36 PM
Get an assessment by Adult Care at Social Services at your local or county council. You can request one and if the assessment says it is apt they can help with supplying some assistive aids. I was offered a bath lift some years ago and foolishly turned it down. Just had a shower stool instead.

firebird
07-04-2015, 07:44 PM
I bought a mangar bath cushion a few months ago when I was really struggling with mobility etc. I have a few comments:

You have to be able to sit on the edge of the bath and move your legs across. It is safer if you have something to hold on to.

The bath cushion does not deflate completely and if it does it isn't very comfortable. But at least you can have a bit of a soak.

When you come to get out it is quite tricky, you need to keep pushing back on the cushion to keep it on the right track while it inflates. I have a short bath and can push on the end of the bath. Unless you are tall I think you may have difficulties.

Getting out is the same as getting in, need to swivel on the seat and then get up. I need to hold on to something for balance.

In retrospect I would try out the solid seat instead before buying. The mobility people will usually come out for a trial.

Just an add: when I was really struggling and fell down I forgot about the bath cushion, it may have been of help to get me up but I think it would need to be in a confined area to make sure it inflates upwards and doesn't topple over.

Final comment: wouldn't buy it again but it was ok when I really needed help.

Good luck

firebird
07-05-2015, 06:33 PM
Bump, the mods held this reply back!

numan43
07-05-2015, 07:28 PM
thank you beau, will look into this

numan43
07-05-2015, 07:30 PM
I bought a mangar bath cushion a few months ago when I was really struggling with mobility etc. I have a few comments:

You have to be able to sit on the edge of the bath and move your legs across. It is safer if you have something to hold on to.

The bath cushion does not deflate completely and if it does it isn't very comfortable. But at least you can have a bit of a soak.

When you come to get out it is quite tricky, you need to keep pushing back on the cushion to keep it on the right track while it inflates. This is quite tricky. I have a short bath and can push on the end of the bath. Unless you are tall I think you may have difficulties.

Getting out is the same as getting in, need to swivel on the seat and then get up. I need to hold on to something for balance.

In retrospect I would try out the solid seat instead before buying. The mobility people will usually come out for a trial.

Just an add: when I was really struggling and fell down I forgot about the bath cushion, it may have been of help to get me up but I think it would need to be in a confined area to make sure it inflates upwards and doesn't topple over.

Final comment: wouldn't buy it again but it was ok when I really it to help my hygiene challenges.

Good luck

thank you firebird for your review, it was very helpful

Archersmate
12-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Hello,

Thank you for asking this question. I've been struggling too and was assessed by a OT as needing a shower seat, I'm not particularly happy with it and miss getting a proper bath, I was thinking about buying one of those cushions but Firefox has pointed out its potential issues ( thanks Firefox)

So I think I'll have to rethink, or research alternatives ( if there are any)

If you find anything would you let me know ( I'll do the same)

nukecad
12-07-2015, 06:02 AM
Some of these look interesting and are in the same price range as the mangar inflatable

http://www.betterlifehealthcare.com/browse/bath-lifts-and-inflatable-bath-lifts/

TR3V0R
12-07-2015, 09:14 AM
Has anyone ever used a bath lifter? I like the idea of them but they don't look terribly comfortable and I am a little concerned about powering a lifter. Also, fitting a lifter in my small bath could be an issue. :eek: If anyone can shed some light on these from experience, I would be very grateful. :)

beau
12-07-2015, 09:21 AM
If you look at the specs it will tell you the sizes and then you can measure your bath and see if it will fit.
I have a smallish bath and mine fits in, just.
My problem is I can't leave it in the bath and it is too heavy for me to lift with one arm so need someone to put it in and remove it, therefore very rarely used. Bug bear as well as mine doesn't go that low so impossible to get a good soak.

TR3V0R
12-07-2015, 09:37 AM
Thanks beau. I will check dimensions. Good point about seat depth, must be very annoying for you not being able to have a good soak, this is a must for me :D

beau
12-07-2015, 10:03 AM
None of them go right to the bottom of the bath unless you get an inflatable one.

atj
12-07-2015, 03:08 PM
The Mangar is a really good one.
I know its not the cheapest out there I had a solid one off social services just couldn't use it. Not only too hard but didn't take you anywhere near the bottom of the bath.