PDA

View Full Version : Iphones - Anyone with advice on voice call announcements and speech recoginition

jdtaylor
01-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Hi,

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I am wondering if anyone can help. At present, I've got an Android mobile handset and to be honest, the call announcement software I installed is reliant on the internet etc as this can't be done onboard, the same goes for speech recoginition.

The thing is I am visually impaired, and to be perfectly honest the RNIB, and one other visual disabilities charity (Right name) has recommended the Iphone, looking at the Iphone's I know the version 4 looks superb and with v5 software could do a lot of what I need, but has anyone got experience on the model's speech recongition and system of announcing callers etc, as I uise to have the technology onboard on an old Nokia X6, and I moved to Android thinking it would be a good platform, but this seems to have been a mistake, and I know Iphones would mean paying slightly more than I am now, but can you recommend these handsets for someone like myself, as I think it would be a lot more reliable than Android it's jsut a case of what these features which I would find extremely helpful if plugged into a bluetooth headset to make my life safer when getting around are like.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Stepheninleeds
01-14-2012, 06:18 PM
I would be interested in this too. I need a phone I can hear, but my hearing is bad, so I need one I can see, but my eyesight is bad, lol. I know we can get software, but need to try it out first, to see what works for us.

jdtaylor
01-14-2012, 07:51 PM
I believe there is an apple store in Leeds, they'd be the best people to help I think

Stepheninleeds
01-14-2012, 08:23 PM
I have to look at some point, I keep putting it off.

Lighttouch
01-15-2012, 05:08 AM
Hi jdtaylor,

So you're visually impaired and you're looking for a phone that has announcement software. I assume your eyesight is good enough to see the illuminated touchscreen in the first place.

Well I'll tell you what I know. I have an Apple iphone 3G not the latest 4S.

What happens when the phone rings.
- you can set the phone to silent eg vibrate or allocate a single ringtone to announce all callers. Or you can allocate an individual ringtone to say favourite people.

Also as you have an address book with the name of the person against there landline or mobile when the phone rings you look at the black screen and the person who is calling is shown on the screen in large white contrasting letters.

The latest Iphone 4S has voice recognition software called 'Siri' that you can use.
Check the Siri video out - http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/features/siri.html
Note Siri is on the iphone 4S not iphone 4.

You can also download an 'application' (App), such as Dragon Naturally Speaking which as you know is a voice recognition software.

Even though my 3G smartphone is only second generation I'm very happy with it. Apple will be bringing out an iphone 5 later this year I guess.

Would I recommend an Apple iphone - yes, but I'm bias. lol.

Here's an independent review
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/apple-iphone-4s-16gb-1031754/review

Stepheninleeds
01-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Dragon is suppose to be good, I know people who have it on their PC. Not sure about phones.

jdtaylor
01-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Hi,

I've used the iPod touch in the past but has anyone had experience of the voice output e.g. Can it announce callers names?

Also, I am using an IPad 2 at the moment