PDA

View Full Version : Washing Machine

BeckyW
10-04-2016, 01:14 PM
Good afternoon,
My name is Becky and I am a third year Learning Disabilities Nursing student. I am currently on placement working with people with Challenging Behaviours.
I have been asked to find out some information about a washing machine for a lady that I am currently supporting. She lives in supported living and has her own washing machine. There are concerns around the fact that she is putting the machine on multiple washes and ruining her clothes. Some of the cycles are lasting up to 6 hours.
Ive been asked to look into a washing machine that has one cycle or setting.
I’ve googled and googled and am not finding any resources that might help me so I was wondering if you might now of any such machines?
Any help you can provide me with would be much appreciated.
Kind regards
Becky

reddivine
10-04-2016, 04:07 PM
Well no the whole point of washing machines is that they are adjustable. Would the best thing be to set it on 40 degrees say (average short wash, not too hot) and mark with a marker pen - saying Don't move it from Here.? I would think she'd be better with a communal laundrey.
The settings would be harder to change and if you have to pay money every time, you won't be doing unnecessary washes!!

nukecad
10-04-2016, 05:18 PM
I used to have the same problem when I was looking after my gran.

Unfortunately even when the machine only did one wash and then needed starting again that is what she would do, restart it multiple times.

And yes, she did manage to remember that she had to open and close the door again each time.

I eventually coaxed out that she was bored and so was doing constant washing so that she would have some ironing to do later.
Even though she no longer had an iron, for safety.
(Well we did but I kept it out of the way).

There is not a lot that I can suggest other than getting a plug in timer socket for the mschine abnd setting it so that it can only be used at certain times abd switches the power off at other times.

Not an ideal solution at all.
Your lady will get frustrated when it wont work, keep calling the repair man, and start washing her clothes in the sink.

It's also a bit draconian, but sometimes if there's no other solution you have to take measures you don't like to keep the person you are caring for safe.

BeckyW
10-05-2016, 10:20 AM
Well no the whole point of washing machines is that they are adjustable. Would the best thing be to set it on 40 degrees say (average short wash, not too hot) and mark with a marker pen - saying Don't move it from Here.? I would think she'd be better with a communal laundrey.
The settings would be harder to change and if you have to pay money every time, you won't be doing unnecessary washes!!

Thanks for the idea... the communal laundry is a great suggestion and one I will put to the bosses.
Many thanks

BeckyW
10-05-2016, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the reply.
One of my concerns is that the lady in question would just put it on the same the machine on over and over again.
The timer is a great idea. I will pose that to the bosses and see what they say.
Many thanks for your help
Becky

fredaNotSpam
10-05-2016, 11:01 AM
One solution to only have one cycle (a safe 40 degree wash) would be to get one with manual twisty knobs (rather than digital buttons), set it to where you want it and then pull the knob off and keep it somewhere safe. Just checked and my Beko machine's twisty knob happily pulls off and then can be put back on again.

adexico
10-05-2016, 02:48 PM
Sorry can't help, but just like to say we had a twin-tub washer and separate spin dryer.

Couldn't go wrong. They were either on or off, and no clothes ruined as far as I remember.
And when Daz powder washed whiter-than-white, and so did Omo, lol.

My Nan had a mangle, and pumped water from a well.

"The kids of today don't know they're born".

deebee
10-05-2016, 02:56 PM
I remember OMO!.......

nukecad
10-05-2016, 04:07 PM
Unfortunately memory loss, mental confusion, and modern appliances often don't mix well.

You end up having to take measures that restrict the persons freedom of actions in order to keep them safe, leading to more frustration and confusion for them.

I remember the pasty that was microwaved for an hour instead of a minute to warm it up.
Ended up like a lump of coal, with the kitchen full of smoke and the smoke alarm going off - which she didn't hear.
I had to get rid of the microwave in the end.

Another problem was the gas hob, she would turn the gas on but forget to ignite it.
Luckily being a handy type I was able to construct a small circuit board and fit it to the igniter circuit.
This fired the ignition every 30 seconds or so thus ensuring that if the gas was turned on it would be ignited.
The only problem then was if an empty pan was on the hob, or if one boiled dry.
I got around that by getting some pyrex glass pans, the type with integrally moulded glass handles, that would never melt. Although they did get red hot if empty.
Luckily she was not in the habit of leaving tea towels on, or near, the hob.
So again not an ideal solution, and not something you could manufacture and sell because of the obvious safety issues.
It worked for us though even if it did drain the igniter batteries ever 2 weeks or so.

As I say you have to think creatively in order to keep the person you are caring for safe without curtailing their freedom too much.
It's a fine balancing act.

deebee
10-05-2016, 05:24 PM
I am guilty of leaving all sorts of things on the hob,my new kitchen is tiny and I am used to a large one,plus my old hob was gas and this one is electric,I tend to use ieas an extra surface,but I get confused which knob for which ring,resulting in so far one cake tin,full of cd,s and a watch,three times my nomad trays,and one handbag,plus several piles of letters,all being burnt

nukecad
10-05-2016, 05:44 PM
Does your electric hob have a wall switch? (It should have if installed correctly).

If you get into the habit of switching this off after cooking then it will act as an extra reminder to remove things from the hob before turning the rings on.

deebee
10-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Thanks,yes it does,I,ll give it a try while I wait for the council to make their decision
They have ordered me a comode,and sent my ha a recommendation to fit an over bath shower
They want more info from my gp before deciding if I can have kitchen altered,like I did in old house
This will be a built in oven waist height if ok,d and separate hob
Last time i bought the appliances and they did the work
If it gets the go ahead I have to buy the appliances again
I shall go for the same as I. Had before
Gas hob,electric fan oven

reddivine
10-06-2016, 09:23 AM
Why was a cake tin full of CD's??

deebee
10-06-2016, 12:46 PM
Oh reddevine lol, have you not gathered that I am a muddle miss
Had big house,very cluttered, moved Oct
tried before move to get organised, slow process
hospitalised a short while before move for four days, that also put spanner in works
anyway,if you arrange a move date and try to work towards it,eventually moving day arrives whether you are ready or not
all sort of things just got thrown in to the nearest receptacle and off we went
In exactly 2 weeks I shall have been here a year
it is one week since i finished "unpacking"
when I say unpacking, i use that term loosely as it just means there are no longer any visible boxes if you visit
however,if you peer in cupboards you will find that i just keep "condensing " boxes,each time putting some things in correct place, and a big box in the cardboard recycling,running out of steam and shoving whats left in a smaller box :/

deebee
10-06-2016, 01:08 PM
I dream of one day living in a state where anyone could say to me "where is... and I could produce it!

Number7
10-07-2016, 06:40 AM
One solution to only have one cycle (a safe 40 degree wash) would be to get one with manual twisty knobs (rather than digital buttons), set it to where you want it and then pull the knob off and keep it somewhere safe. Just checked and my Beko machine's twisty knob happily pulls off and then can be put back on again.

Excellent suggestion IMO.....using a Timer may well upset the client no end ?

Number7
10-08-2016, 06:36 AM
"One touch" commercial washing machine :

http://www.jtmservice.co.uk/leeds-residents-enjoy-greater-independence-thanks-to-pioneering-one-touch-washing-machine/