PDA

View Full Version : Permitted work or working tax credits

Luna24221
16-11-16, 09:00
I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I am currently on Employment and Support Allowance Support Group. I am seeking a start up loan of £5,000 for my new business that I would like to setup. I have a couple of questions.

1. What is the hours and the amount I am allowed to earn under permitted work rules?
2. If I am granted my startup loan will the government take this into account as income even though the money will be spent on starting up my business.
3. Will the government take in to account that out of the profit the business makes I will need to pay the loan back?
4. What's better for me to claim Employment and Support Allowance Support Group under permitted work or Working Tax Credits?

nukecad
16-11-16, 14:48
Under permitted work rules you are allowed to work up to 16 hours per week and earn up to £115.50 after tax and NI.

If you are starting your own business from ESA there are schemes like the 'New Enterprise Allowance' which will give access to a business mentor, a weekly allowance, and access to a startup loan.
You can also get extra help through 'Access to Work' if you have a disability.

https://www.gov.uk/moving-from-benefits-to-work/starting-your-own-business

As usual it's all complicated and your are best off contacting the Jobcenter and asking to talk with a New Enterprise advisor.