PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPhone 8 to be unveiled on 12 Sept '17

Lighttouch
04-09-17, 18:33
Well, Apple will be celebrating a tenth anniversary smartphone on the 12 September

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2017/

Biscuitgazer
07-09-17, 20:46
I've just invested in a new Cubot Z100 Pro, it cost me nearly 70 quid.

Lighttouch
07-09-17, 22:35
Sounds like a bargain - I've never heard of it before. Looks like a half decent back camera too.

It has two SIM card slots which is a cool idea. You could combine a work and home phone in one - no need to carry two phones - I bet Apple don't do that as they'd lose sales!

Just a handful of days to go before the big announcement!

Biscuitgazer
08-09-17, 04:39
I'm happy with it but it may not last. It will certainly be less annoying than my Moto E 2nd generation 4g LTE was. That was a deeply flawed phone, even for a budget phone.

beau
08-09-17, 06:39
I have one of those cheap dual sim smart phones and it works a treat. Mine is a Swees, it cost me £35. Hubby has had a Cubot for the past 4 years and it is still going strong.
To my way of thinking there is no point in paying a small fortune for a phone

Biscuitgazer
08-09-17, 08:48
I chose Cubot because it looked like a company that wanted to grow. I'd seen reviews of cheap phones saying they are full of malware and give your bank details to their friends in China etc. so I was nervous about the cubots, sweeses, oukitels etc. of the world. I've not seen malware, or been troubled with bloatware either, on my phone.

beau
08-09-17, 10:13
Neither have I but then again only use it for calls, texts and WhatsApp when I am away. Wouldn't dream of doing anything personal on it.

nukecad
08-09-17, 12:56
I chose Cubot because it looked like a company that wanted to grow. I'd seen reviews of cheap phones saying they are full of malware and give your bank details to their friends in China etc. so I was nervous about the cubots, sweeses, oukitels etc. of the world. I've not seen malware, or been troubled with bloatware either, on my phone.
If you are worried about Malware on your phone then get 'Malwarebytes for Android' from the playstore.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mobile/

The free version will scan your phone for nasties and remove them, and then real time protection will keep them away.
You can run a scan anytime you like to check again.
The first scan after installing takes a while, but further scans after that take seconds.

You get a one month trial of premium that gets a few extra features, after that it reverts to Free+ without the extras.
(Still scans, still has real time protection).

If you want the premium extras then it's $12 (US dollars) a year.

Unfortunately there is not a version for iPhones or iPads at the moment.

There are versions for Windows (includes Win10 phones) and Mac OSX if you want to protect your computer as well.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/products/

Note that Malware bytes is not a traditional anti-virus.
It works in a different way and stops most nasties even getting to your system in the first place.
It can be used on its own as an alternative to an AV and will protect you just as well as an AV does.
On a computer it plays nicely with traditional AV's and most users use it alongside a traditional AV to give extra protection.

PS. I have no connection to Malwarebytes, but it's one of the first things I put on a new PC or phone.

Biscuitgazer
09-09-17, 09:25
Tx nukecad! I installed and ran malware bytes and it discovered a bad app that came with my phone which I can't get rid of without rooting the phone so I've disabled it - that should work until one day when I turn the phone off. Cheap Chinese phone with malicious software pre-installed. Well, actually, I am informed by the interweb that fota updater is sometimes not actually malware. Malwarebytes' interface did eventually tell me to disable it and they will whitelist it. That was confusing.

nukecad
09-09-17, 14:35
Yes it doesn't just find Malware, it will also find PUP's and PUM's. (Potentially Unwanted Programmes and Potentialy Unwanted Modifications).

These are things that are not realy needed, usually put there by the manufacturer or sneakily added when you download something else.
They are often advertising pop-ups, or tracking your location and/or activity so as to target ads at you.
Most people would not want these so they are flagged for removal or disabling.

While FOTA is not in itself malware, and does have a genuine use, it is a security risk as it can allow someone to modify and take over your phones operating system.
http://www.lg.com/uk/support/fota

Jard
12-09-17, 20:32
Well LT looks like your not stuck for choice, two models the X & the 8 and all the variations in between, only thing is you can't get your hands on one until November.:cool:

Lighttouch
12-09-17, 21:51
Well LT looks like your not stuck for choice, two models the X & the 8 and all the variations in between, only thing is you can't get your hands on one until November.:cool:

Yes I watched the back end of the presentation and I'm well impressed with the 'facial recognition' ti open the phone and to buy stuff using ApplyPay. And fantastic camera features etc.

Need to wait until late Oct before I can order one for early November delivery before bonfire night!

Jard
13-09-17, 13:53
That iPhone X doesn't half look like a mimic of the Samsung S8 though, I bet the Apple hater's will have a field day with that.

fwipperie
13-09-17, 15:30
That iPhone X doesn't half look like a mimic of the Samsung S8 though, I bet the Apple hater's will have a field day with that.

I do not feel the apple launch was as good as they hoped?

nukecad
13-09-17, 16:09
I do not feel the apple launch was as good as they hoped?
I think all the press were underwhelmed that their 'new inovations' are stuff that other manufacturers have had on phones for a couple of years.
In other words apple are now playing catch up instead of inovating.

It won't put off the iPhone fans, there is brand loyalty involved. (If you can afford it).

Have you seen that the iPhone X has a glass back as well as the front screen? (So it can do wireless charging).
Just something else to break easily and be replaced at top dollar.

Jard
13-09-17, 16:23
Have you seen that the iPhone X has a glass back as well as the front screen? (So it can do wireless charging).
Just something else to break easily and be replaced at top dollar.

I believe, the iPhone 4 also had a glass back and I'm pretty sure wireless charging has been the case since iPhone 6, so I can't see any real innovation there either, too much money for very little progress over the 7.

Jard
02-10-17, 21:41
Big problems with the iPhone 8 then, http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/iphone-8-plus-could-serious-11273467, all to reminiscent of the Samsung saga, the only reason these mega companies don't sort these issues out before release as to be GREED.

Just downloading & installing IOS 11 on the iPhone 7+ as I post this, that's got all the the knobs & whistles LT mentions above @12.

Lighttouch
23-10-17, 19:12
The iPhone 8 plus has all the features I'm looking for. But as a one handed user it's to big for me and likely to be dropped.

I'm more likely to go for the iPhone X that is released on Friday 27 October and can be bought from 3 November.

At last we are back to a rounded edge iPhone! I'm presently using a 'stand-in old iPhone 3G that still works ten years later. It feels lovely in your palm. However, I always buy a rubber or plastic protective cover as accidents do happen.

This phone will unlock when you look at the screen, wireless charging, a very nifty camera on both sides and a screen that goes to the 4 edges. It's a smaller phone than the iPhone 8 plus but with the same sized screen.

I think that the big thing relates to 'augmented reality' AU which will overtake 'virtual reality' once the 'App Developers' realise its potential.

I'll also be glad to get back to using my 'Apps' I miss 'um!

Biscuitgazer
23-10-17, 20:57
LT my hands are pretty flimsy, and so I have shelled out £2.50 or so on a wonderful little thing for my phone that stops it from getting dropped, it's a little silicone and elastic gadget that sticks on the back of the phone for me to stick my thumb through the elastic - means I don't have to hold my phone, it just sits on the back of my hand. I'll try to post a link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B017G4R7US/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I hope that's allowed.

Lighttouch
23-10-17, 22:35
Yes I think I'll need to invest in either your type of product or a pop socket that was suggested to me.

Biscuitgazer
24-10-17, 08:33
Hmm... Not sure I'd like that pop-up thing, mine requires zero muscle power to hold the phone.

Lighttouch
28-10-17, 21:50
Just ordered my iPhone X online via Apple. It'll take 4/5 weeks before it gets delivered. Roll on 4-11 December!

nukecad
29-10-17, 08:12
Over a grand to buy an iPhone X outright, or £117 a month on a contract with Three.1910
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/27/three-slammed-113-iphone-x-phone-contract-expensive-ever/

OK it's your money.

I'll stick with my £1/week EE plan.

Lighttouch
29-10-17, 11:31
I use a £5 a month SIM only deal. I've bought the phone outright £999 not a £1000 - remember the insurance company paid £600 towards it. I prefer to buy into new technology that way it lasts longer - all being well.

beau
05-01-18, 08:08
For the attention of Lighttouch.
Have you seen this as a Mac lover
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42575033

Lighttouch
05-01-18, 12:27
Hi Beau,
Yes I’ve been hearing on the news about trouble with chips and possible hacking.
I’ll just have to wait for a patch from Apple to overcome any possible problems.
Fingers crossed that I don’t get hit before then!

nukecad
05-01-18, 17:09
It's not just Apple, it's virtually every computer chip in the world.
Any computer any operating system, Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, they all run on the same chip archtecture.

I won't get technical but it's the way chips handle system memory, it's been known about for a while but was being kept kept quiet to prevent hackers exploiting the vulnerability.
The OS and Browser providers have been working behind the scenes on a patch to prevent exploits.

Now that it is common knowledge every OS and Browser provider is now rushing out their patches.

Unfortunately these patches may slow down performance in some cases.
This can't be helped, the vulnerability is in a process that helped chips run faster. Stopping this means some chips will run a bit slower.

There are no known examples of this vulnerability being exploited, but no doubt some hackers will now be trying.

So whatever your Computer/tablet/smartphone make sure that you apply any OS and browser patches that come out in the next few days/weeks.

stree
06-01-18, 20:02
The slowdown after patching will be on Intel..........Other manufacturers hardly affected...............All makes are affected by Spectre. but it has been around years and no one yet found a way to exploit it...........so has always been regarded as a flaw, but not a vulnerability.
BUT.........Intel also has a kernel flaw. Exclusive to Intel.....Meltdown...............This is the big nasty/ if Intel apply a patch/fix the it could hit CPU performance by around or up to, 30%.............This is especially concerning for the server side hardware, the really big customers.
AMD EPYC server chips are looking more appealing than ever to corporate buyers.....
What I find loathsome is the way intel have tried to deflect the news of their appalling gaff by roping in the old Spectre flaw, so to make it appear that other CPU manufacturers are equally at risk...Not so.....Intel users are at risk, but potentially just the huge server farms, not the small users.
Patches will do very little............same with BIOS updates, and CPU microcodes sneaked in by MS......the issue is at hardware fabrication level and is severe..............That is why the Intel CEO reduced his shareholding to the legal minimum of 250,000 shares in November...Before it was public knowledge but you can be sure it was already well known in top Intel circles.............The only real solution is a rejig at fabrication level............and replace free of charge all affected processors........and Intel will not do that. so will continue to bluff and send out misinformation ........

nukecad
06-01-18, 20:52
AMD and ARM chips are just as vulerable to this architcture flaw.

They are sticking by the 'keep it secret until we have a solution' rules.

Intel were the first to react whem the news got public.
Apple are now being shouted about on the BBC but its not in tgheir control.

If you get more into just what the issue is, down in kernel memory, then you know that no chip from any manufacturer is exempt.

But like I say it has not been exploited (yet) so don't worry too much.
Do Microsoft and other browsers updates.
(But be very careful about things not from official sites).

stree
07-01-18, 11:56
Agreed, AMD knew about this over a year ago......Why no public disclosure? the following from AMDs research team explains why.Because AMD vulnerability is practically zero..........But it would not go down well if they crowed about the fact that Intel WAS vulnerable would it?
see following excerpt:

FROM AMD RESEARCH.
Variant / AMD Response Matrix
Google Project Zero (GPZ) Research Title Details
Variant One Bounds Check Bypass Resolved by software / OS updates to be made available by system vendors and manufacturers. Negligible performance impact expected.
Variant Two Branch Target Injection Differences in AMD architecture mean there is a near zero risk of exploitation of this variant. Vulnerability to Variant 2 has not been demonstrated on AMD processors to date.

and from The Register :
An AMD spokesperson told The Register that an attacker would first have to gain access to the motherboard and then modify SPI-Flash before the issue could be exploited. But given those conditions, the attacker would have access to the information protected by the TPM, such as cryptographic keys.

AMD's spokesperson said the chipmaker plans to address the vulnerability for a limited number of firmware versions. BIOS updates from OEMs are supposed to be made available later this month.

I run AMD and Intel machines, ( and Raspberry Pi) but I am not concerned overmuch in either case.I do not utilise VM or used cloud based services, and these are the soft targets.

Lighttouch
20-05-18, 09:00
Very pleased with all features on iphoneX until yesterday! The screen just died after 6 months use. I took it into an Apple Centre and they are replacing the screen for free as it falls in the Warranttee period!

stree
20-05-18, 16:06
Very pleased with all features on iphoneX until yesterday! The screen just died after 6 months use. I took it into an Apple Centre and they are replacing the screen for free as it falls in the Warranttee period!

Ouch.does not inspire confidence in such a premium product!.......Hope the replacement lasts longer than the original, or it will prove very expensive!

Lighttouch
20-05-18, 18:52
I went back this afternoon to collect the repaired phone. But it wasn’t repairable so they gave me a new one. Just finished restoring contacts/emails and photos from the cloud. I’m lost some photos as I hadn’t backed up in the last 4 weeks!

stree
22-05-18, 14:12
Back up is such a chore.......