View Full Version : Adaptations or new property

12-15-2012, 03:21 PM
I moved to my current home 18 months ago on a mutual exchange. The property is council owned. My health and mobility have deteriorated badly in the last 6 months and I am really struggling. I have not been able to use a bath for over 2 years and have been using a swivel bather to access and use the shower over the bath. Now I am unable to even use this without help from my partner. A lot of the time I have to stay upstairs as I am unable to get up and down stairs at all.
I contacted my local adult social care earlier this year and during their visit I told them all the problems I was having. They fitted one grab bar by the back door and one by the front door, I had requested a step to be put in by each door but could not get this. They also fitted another bannister rail on the stairs which is no help when my legs are so bad that I cannot lift them to go up and down stairs.
My question is, will it be worth me contacting them again to ask for more suitable equipment? Or would it be worth asking for a transfer to a more suitable property, such as a bungalow.

12-15-2012, 04:00 PM
You say you moved by mutual agreement - in other words you did a house swop. That's the easiest and quickest way to move home with social housing.

If you know want to move for medical reasons you will need to register on the housing register which is points based.

You might consider looking at sheltered housing or warden assisted housing That would be more accessible with level access and a wheel-in shower.

Have a word with your housing officer. Putting your name down for a bungalow is a good idea but it may take years before one comes available. Good luck.

12-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Hi i was in the same situation and if your happy with where you live then demand another O.T assessment and ask them for the bathroom to be changed into a wet-room and a stair-lift to be fitted they make life so much easier they really do councils have a fund to do our adaptations so try asking your housing officer for help with this but either the council or adult social services have a duty to make your home more manageable for you good luck

12-16-2012, 09:04 AM
I did ask before for this. They would not give me a shower, we had to fit a low pressure tap run shower system ourselves. I explained the problems I was having, but was basically told I could not have any "major" adaptations.
I will try Adult Social care again, but not holding out much hope.