PDA

View Full Version : Adaptations?!

flowerangelx
06-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Hi,

I don't know if this is in the right section..but..I currently can not climb in and out of the bath to have a shower(I literally have to either wash standing up or sitting down) so I was wondering if it's possible that the Council would be willing to adapt my bathroom to contain a walk-in shower? I don't know. I can't seem to find anything anywhere. I'd be hugely grateful for any help on this.

deebee
06-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Hi,

I don't know if this is in the right section..but..I currently can not climb in and out of the bath to have a shower(I literally have to either wash standing up or sitting down) so I was wondering if it's possible that the Council would be willing to adapt my bathroom to contain a walk-in shower? I don't know. I can't seem to find anything anywhere. I'd be hugely grateful for any help on this.

You need an OT assessment, and you need to ask them about a disabled facilities grant

flowerangelx
06-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Okay, thank you..

Hopefully that will help me!

freedomeagle
06-24-2013, 06:51 PM
All councils are different and it depends on your living situation they ended up moving me to an adapted property, and my uncle had to wait 2years to get one after having 4strokes the last year before it was done we couldn't even get him on the bath seat for him to bath had to wash him while he sat in his chair, they knew this he had a social worker and an ot all gave the council assessements but still had to wait they even said if he could pay for it himself he could have it done but he we couldn't afford that, we got mp involved in the end 2months later it was done so you could try that if all else fails good luck.

flowerangelx
06-24-2013, 06:59 PM
I still live with my parents. It's difficult because if I were to move out, I would only be entitled to the rate of one room in a shared house due to being 25...this would be impossible for me due to Social Anxiety Disorder, agoraphobia etc

I have considered moving in with my partner(who is 38) and looking for a property that already has a walk in shower, but this seems like a bit of a hassle as there aren't many around for our budget.

I will definitely seek more advice about it all though. I'm glad your uncle has had his done now. 2 years wait is stupid.

susieboots
06-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Hi flowerangelx, lovely picture. I now have a wetroom. I couldn't get in and out of the bath and my OT assessor provided me with a Swedish hand rail (it is screwed to the floor and fits over the bath, very rigid and strong. Plus, hand rail on the wall. However, this was still no good for me, so they arranged a wetroom. It only took 4 months until it was fitted (due to the Council waiting for funds). The new shower room is brilliant, and with my shower bench, I can safely shower. So I would advise you to contact Social Services and ask for OT assessment. Good luck hon.

flowerangelx
06-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Thank you!

I think I would need a wet room of some description as I can't physically climb into the bath..my knee won't bend or straighten far enough and it's too painful to even attempt it.

I will get onto this first thing in the morning.

Smiley1
06-25-2013, 05:37 PM
In many places the law has changed on this type of adaption&you have to be living in your property for at least two years.Then you need to have a doctors referral to socialservices to get an assessment by their occupational therapist who will come around to where you live after making an appointment with you either over the telephone or by letter.They will then watch you as you attempt to use the bath and then they will ask you questions.Then they will decide if you are eligible for a grant(disabled facilities grant).They will then decide what equipment you may need,usually they will put in a bath chair or raising/lowering bath chair operated by push button,before they offer you a shower but it depends on what they assess you as needing and they decide what you get not you.The are strict as it all costs money from their li tied budget.It also all takes time and it depends on where you live aswell.I used to work in their department so therefore I know that this is the only way to get a shower fitted aswell.Im a full time wheelchair user and I had to go through this process.It took years for them to take out the bath and fit a shower I first had to prove that I couldn't cope with a shower over the bath despite needing two carers&a hoist after having to strip wash for two years first. good luck hope this was helpful to you!

flowerangelx
06-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Thank you for your great advice & post.

I have been living in this property for 13 years - It is my parents rented council property, not my own.

The problem with a chair/hoist is it would not support my weight - I have put on a lot of weight over the last year due to not being able to exercise properly and having an already low metabolism. I cannot climb over the side of the bath as it's just too painful and my knee 'freezes' so I'm wondering how a chair would help? I'm not sure on how these things work. We have a shower over the bath, I just can't access it. :/

Your post was very helpful to me.

sea queen
06-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Hi I think it depends on the L/A.
My daughter initially had a bath chair which took her down into the bath and then up. She sat on a turntable to get around and into the bath. This was provided by the L/A
You can but ask!
Good luck

flowerangelx
06-25-2013, 06:08 PM
I will definitely look into it.

Thank you :)

freedomeagle
06-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Since it's your parents property you might find the council wont change anything unless one of your parents need it, like i previously said every council is different. You said about you and your partner thinking of living together but due to budgets etc it's a problem. You both could join your local council for a property and housing associations, due to your health you could stress you need to be living near your parents it used to be called social reasons don't know what they call that now. You can be assessed by the council on medical grounds so get extra points and be put on the list for disabled properties these usually have a wet room and level access. You might have to wait a while for a property but at least you'd get the ball rolling and the property would be more affordable than private rented. Good luck with it hope you can get something sorted. Goodluck

flowerangelx
06-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I have been told that as I'm 25, I would still only be eligible for housing benefit for a room in a shared house..I can't live in a shared house due to mental health, but apparently this would not entitle me for anything more..

I just can't win.

andypandy
07-02-2013, 12:25 PM
I have a swivel bather, which goes over the bath which is fine for me because I have carers to lift my legs over into the bath, they may suggest something like this, depending on their available budget. If I was you I'd push for a DFG, but they generally aren't easy to get.

Let us know how you get on

flowerangelx
07-08-2013, 05:51 PM
A swivel bather could help me massively.

I will let you know :)

andypandy
07-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Yes please do flower. Ring them first thing and don't be fobbed off

sea queen
07-09-2013, 05:26 PM
This kind of situation really annoys me as what would the L/A do if you didn't have your parents to live with?
I think they would come up with the right kind of accommodation for you - others get it. They are generally very happy to sit back and let people struggle until the 'have' to do something.
I hope you get sorted in one way or another

Lighttouch
07-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Hi Flowergirl. Everyone has given you excellent advice here's my thoughts.

If you're living in your parents council house it might be just your mum and dad are joint tenants. I don't think the Council would do a major facelift to that propery as you're not a joint tenant - I assume.

There is an adaptation you could have supplied by the Council's Occupational Health services.
1 You could ask for floor raising blocks. Basically a plastic rectangular box whoose height you adjust to make getting in and out easier.
2 A vertical grab rail to help support yourself.3 A swivel bath seat. This sits on top of the bath. You sit in it and swival the chair around to face the shower.

Like you I need a walk-in shower but at the moment I have to step into bath and use tvarious things to hold on too.

Wouldn't it be fun if the Council offered double showers with body jets. Now that would make showering much more fun. Sorry was just remembering . . . that's a diffect story.

Now please keep on track - next please!

flowerangelx
07-13-2013, 09:21 PM
This kind of situation really annoys me as what would the L/A do if you didn't have your parents to live with?
I think they would come up with the right kind of accommodation for you - others get it. They are generally very happy to sit back and let people struggle until the 'have' to do something.
I hope you get sorted in one way or another

I did ask if they would consider accommodation for me and they told me not only is there a long waiting list - but because of my age, housing benefit wouldn't cover the cost. I just can't win.

flowerangelx
07-13-2013, 09:26 PM
Hi Flowergirl. Everyone has given you excellent advice here's my thoughts.

If you're living in your parents council house it might be just your mum and dad are joint tenants. I don't think the Council would do a major facelift to that propery as you're not a joint tenant - I assume.

There is an adaptation you could have supplied by the Council's Occupational Health services.
1 You could ask for floor raising blocks. Basically a plastic rectangular box whoose height you adjust to make getting in and out easier.
2 A vertical grab rail to help support yourself.3 A swivel bath seat. This sits on top of the bath. You sit in it and swival the chair around to face the shower.

Like you I need a walk-in shower but at the moment I have to step into bath and use tvarious things to hold on too.

Wouldn't it be fun if the Council offered double showers with body jets. Now that would make showering much more fun. Sorry was just remembering . . . that's a diffect story.

Now please keep on track - next please!

You are correct..I have been told that they wouldn't do any major changes as I am not listed as one of the tenants..no, i've just lived here for more than half of my life(I was a child when we moved into this house) and don't feel up to living on my own due to depression/anxiety/etc..I just wouldn't cope.

The floor raising blocks sound interesting. I have mental images of giant lego pieces O.o (maybe that's the inner-child?!)

The best option (apart from the walk in shower) seems to be the swivel chair....I wonder if I could get letters from my consultant/physiotherapist to confirm that I just..can't climb in and out of the bath?!

Body jets? ooft...

Lighttouch
07-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Well flowerangel, just logged on to find your message. It's been another scorcher here but I was able to get some exercise at my local all abilities cycling club. There were over 100 people wanting to cycle in a three hour slot. The ages vary from a few months to parents with tots as well as disabled people. Quite a social gathering.

Anyway to your shower issue.

Here are photos of the two things that might help - well the steps for definate but the swival shower chair would work but would need taking out to allow other people to stand in the bath to shower even though it only takes a few minutes to secure in place and a minute to removal.

It's been so hot and sticky today that I had two showers - the last one using cool water to cool me down.

Hope this helps.

flowerangelx
07-13-2013, 11:47 PM
I think i'd try the steps first..going to have a look online :) Thank you so much for your help!