PDA

View Full Version : High Street Access to Shops Campaign

Calleva4
08-05-2011, 11:46 PM
I am absolutely disgusted by the amount of shops within most of our high streets that are not accessible for wheel chair users.

I am interested in starting a campaign to resolve this issue through marleting a threshold ramp specifically designed to provide access to such premises at a cost of approx £40 per threshold.

Are shopowners not aware that by offering access to wheelchairs will mean consistant repeat business from the user due to the majoerity of shops wiithout access.

I recently visited a shopping centre and showed our portable ramp. Shop owners were amazed at the ease of how the ramp could be built in minutes and how easy it was for wheelchairs to access the shop, after 27 visits I sold 14 ramps.

The ramps are able to be made to most threshold sizes upto 180mm. can be picked up at the end of the day and stored internally, can also be taken apart and built to fit another threshold, can be taken on holiday can even be cut to fit in thocse awkward areas of the door.

I truly believe that shop owners will purchase this item because of the cost.

I need help on how to get in touch with as many shop owners as possible to help wheelchair uses.

Please let me have your ideas.

Thanks in advance

Whycan'tI?
08-06-2011, 05:59 AM
It's not just shops, it's hotels and other buildings as well. The regulations aren't being followed. I'm not sure how much is lack of knowledge and how much is blatant disregard. I've been trying to think of how to draw attention to it myself - but I don't know enough about them either. My elderly in-laws block of flats had a new door to the street fitted WITH a threshold to step over which I'm told contravenes regulations. The door company should not have prided it but provided something different. The local hotel is inaccessible. I had thought of writing to the local paper to bemoan the fact that so many places were difficult to access when we do have regulations in place to try and make things easier. Perhaps we should all do this instead of just not going to places.

andypandy
08-06-2011, 02:14 PM
I tell people that they are breaking the law Re: DDA

Lighttouch
08-07-2011, 05:32 PM
All public buildings have a duty under the DDA to supply services to disabled people. If you can't access the service due to physical disabling barriers like steps, heavy doors etc just complain to the Council. They will send someone out to inspect the premises. If they are discriminating against disabledpeople they will be asked to make 'reasonable adjustments' to the property or adjust the service.

TIP. When coming across a shop or eatery that isn't accessible get a friend to ask for their 'accessibility statement or policy. When they saythey haven't got one just snitch on them as they should have one by law.

Sounds like you could do with setting up an 'access group'

Calleva4
08-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Hi thanks for the information.

I am knew to this site and would like to know how I set up an access group.

Many thanks

Brian

Lighttouch
08-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Hi Brian,

Tell me who your local council are and I'll source information for you to either join an existing access group or who to contact to set a new group up.

All it takes is enthusiasm and a will to make things happen.

Calleva4
08-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Many thanks. I currently live in Tyne and Wear

I am planning to visist the high street next week and present them with my Excellent Systems portable threshold ramp, feeedback will ne interesting. have a look at our website and let me know what you think. www.easiaccess.com

Brian

parkesh11
10-17-2011, 11:36 AM
high street is now dead (note dead, not dying), you'd be a brave man to even consider taking it on as a going concern in the current climate.

We are offering everything in the studio - families, kids, boudoir, graduations, christenings and gift vouchers for any of the above and the market has been dead for the last 4 months. We even ran an ad campaign in the local paper and got very little response. Don't think its just us, have spoken to others in the same boat...

andypandy
10-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Well our high street isn't dead, far from it.

I don't think its ever a good time to start a business, so good on you Brian.

I live in the South West and its a nightmare trying to get into old shops etc.

Let us know how you get on

Calleva4
11-03-2011, 01:21 PM
I understand how businesses work and understand the financial constraints and yes when business is dead its hard to think about anything else apart from the bottom line. Sadly and I am not having a go hear, this is the view of many businesses towards disability.

I recently found a high street that properties with a 100 to 275 thresh on them, I visted approximately 60 shops and only sold 2 ramps, most others werent interested.

The 2 I sold were for a 90 thresh that produced a 1 metre ramp at a cost of £78. I am sure that we can all afford £78 on the basis of getting disabled business. Disbaled business is great business as they remember your shop and tell their friends. Why wouldnt we all want to get on board with that.

I recently went out after this visit and borrowed a wheelchair and attempted to get in the shops, some came to help, some didnt want to have eye contact and pretended to do something else, it was an interesting day and saddened me and also made me happy as I converted some people that day, as a week later I went back and sold 6 more ramps.

We all need to borrow a wheelchair to totally understand what disabled people are going through. Lets have a special day once ayear were everybody lives the day in a wheelchair!!!!!.

Hope this info helps touch the hearts of people that can help.

Calleva 4

sea queen
11-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Leonard Cheshire were conducting an access campaign a while ago, not sure if it's still on going.
My friend campaigns herself using the local Law centre representative for the legal side. I must say that she has had a lot of success over the last few years as well.
Some places will hold their hands up and say ooopppss sorry we hadn't really thought of the disabled others will dig in and think she will give up! No chance! So they end up complying eventually.
One eating place even verbally harrassed the law Centre officer saying to him 'what makes disabled people think we are accessible to them!' They went on to put in a lovely large accessible toilet which of course benefits mums with buggies as well.
You can all take on someone and with help make a change.

Stepheninleeds
11-04-2011, 09:37 AM
One issue I would raise, & not sure if you are ware of this. I can give examples where shops have similar portable ramps, but do not always use them. I am not in a wheelchair, but some shops have a step/steps that are far too high for me, I know of wheelchair users who have to use such ramps in shops. However, on more than one occasion the odd shop has said they cannot put the ramp out as they are too busy, or they person who is trained to do that is not working at that time, or they only allow one person in a wheelchair in the shop at a time (That has not happened to me personally of course), on at least 3 occasions in different shops I have been told they do not know where the ramp is. I ahev also been told that I cannot use such a ramp as I am not in a wheelchair. The simple fact is a ramp is not just for wheelchair users.

I feel that people need to be educated on the basics of such matters. There is no point having a ramp if they will not use it when it is needed.

jdtaylor
01-13-2012, 10:02 PM
I appericate I may be bumping an old topic here, but if any of these are within the Arcadia Group, can you please PM me, I know a few things which I don't want to publish here, but it's one thing I am working on and I know people there and I'm already trying to get them to sort out one branch which seemed to get forgotten about for a year, after raising it initally, but if I can help please let me know

Stepheninleeds
01-14-2012, 06:15 PM
We cannot send messages on here. I have no idea who owns want. One shop is Sony in town. Is it still there?