PDA

View Full Version : Help with Rascal 320 power chair dual attendant control

LorraineCornwall
06-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Wondering if anyone can advise me please...
I've just purchased a second hand Rascal 320 power chair which I am waiting on delivery. I've just read that it can be fitted with a detachable dual attendant control. Does anyone know anything about the dual attendant control... is it easy to fit, the cost, etc, and where can I get one? This will be my first power chair. I have been housebound for 9 months now since suffering a brain haemorrhage and then a stroke which has left me with limited use down my left side. I also have severe rheumatoid arthritis in all of my joints and spinal cord compression in my neck due to the spine growing into the cord. So as you can imagine this option would be ideal for days when I feel unable to operate the chair by myself. Any info will be very much appreciated.

Flymo
06-16-2014, 04:04 PM
As a long term power chair user, I'd be a little surprised if there were days when you couldn't operate some form of user controls.

One tip is to rest the joystick in between your thumb and index finger, rather than grasping the part that sticks up. Not only does this tend to be more comfortable, it can be easier to drive the chair in a straight line that way.

If the standard joystick lever doesn't fit you needs, there's all sorts of alternatives, including a ball or a T bar. Some people just stick a tennis ball or block of foam over the joystick rather than get an 'official' part to adapt the controls.

Attendant controls are an option if you can't make user controls work at all for some of the time, though they can be quite expensive. You will probably have to fork out several hundred pounds for the parts. You may have to pay a dealer to set them up, as there's a reasonable chance the chair's electronics will not recognise them without reprogramming, or the chair does not have appropriate parameters set up for attendant controls.

If the acceleration and deceleration profiles of the chair don't suit your needs, it can likely be reprogrammed.

reddivine
06-18-2014, 07:39 AM
I don't have a powerchair, but a manual fitted with power pack, but I'd echo flymos comment about putting the joystick between thumb and forefinger. Thats what I was tOLD from the manufacturers.. and surely they can fit joystick EITHER side?
I wanted it on the left cuz I'm LEFT handed but if your "best hand" is the RIGHT, they shd be able to do this.