PDA

View Full Version : pip letter from dwp

lindamay
28-06-14, 13:23
received a letter this morning from dwp saying they have received my report from atos and apolagising for the long delay also says i will get a desicion as soon as it is dealt with anyone know how long from dwp receiving report to a decision been made hopefully im on the road to a decision after nearly 14 months from initial claim for pip thanks

Flymo
28-06-14, 13:39
Typically a decision is made and issued within 2-4 weeks from receipt of that letter. However, some decisions can take longer, especially if the decision maker has to ask the assessment provider for any clarification or correction of the assessment report.

I hope you will receive a positive decision in the next few weeks.

lindamay
28-06-14, 14:18
thank you flymo hopefully only a few weeks left to hear a reply will keep you posted

NeurologicalNed
28-06-14, 15:38
Mine has been four weeks now but that doesn't mean yours will take that long. Good luck! :)

removed
28-06-14, 18:01
Mine has been four weeks now but that doesn't mean yours will take that long. Good luck! :)

You could try to get your MP involved, which would speed the DWP up.

NeurologicalNed
28-06-14, 18:34
Funny you say that toolook. I was helping out at my church's fun day today and he paid us a visit. I mentioned that I've left his office 2 messages this week. He put it in his note book and said he will deal with it ASAP next week. :)

beau
28-06-14, 18:46
If that works it will mean that someone else will have to wait even longer

NeurologicalNed
28-06-14, 19:13
If that works it will mean that someone else will have to wait even longer

They could always ring their mp too.

Flymo
28-06-14, 19:24
My suggestion is that recourse to MP's offices is best left until the delay is at least 25% longer than expected. There is only so much an MP can reasonably do to intervene, especially if there are no exceptional circumstances and the delay is merely another example of the current delays.

Most Benefit Delivery Centres dealing with PIP decisions seem to be fairly quick in making the decision once all the information is available. If it gets to six weeks after the letter the original poster has mentioned and there is no clear information about the delay available from the helpdesk, that is the time I would be talking to the MP.

Carrera74
29-06-14, 12:29
Hello. I'm new here I hope you don't mind me posting on your thread but I received the exact same letter yesterday too. ATOS told me a few weeks ago that they had sent my son's assessment back to the DWP - I had phoned for an update on his assessment date. They have carried out a paper based review for him and sent everything back to the DWP on the 10th. I rang the DWP last week to see how long it would take and they advised 3 - 4 weeks. I am not sure whether that is from receipt of this letter or from them receiving it. I will just have to be patient although I am not very good at that :)

babyblu64
30-06-14, 07:12
Hopefully you will hear soon Lindamay.

I applied for PIP in Feb, (moving from DLA).
Had my assessment, (at home) by Capita on 10th May.
Letter dated 3rd June from DWP to say they had all the info they needed and saying sorry for the delay. (same as your letter.)
Letter dated 20th June to say I had been awarded PIP.
So it was just under 6 weeks from assessment to award letter, and just under 3 weeks from the letter saying they had all the info.

So, hopefully you will hear very soon on the outcome. Good luck for a positive result x

NeurologicalNed
30-06-14, 09:57
Hopefully you will hear soon Lindamay.

I applied for PIP in Feb, (moving from DLA).
Had my assessment, (at home) by Capita on 10th May.
Letter dated 3rd June from DWP to say they had all the info they needed and saying sorry for the delay. (same as your letter.)
Letter dated 20th June to say I had been awarded PIP.
So it was just under 6 weeks from assessment to award letter, and just under 3 weeks from the letter saying they had all the info.

So, hopefully you will hear very soon on the outcome. Good luck for a positive result x You're very lucky. I applied for pip last October. I had my assessment nearly 9 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for a decision!

babyblu64
30-06-14, 10:09
Hi cookmysock

Sorry to hear yours is taking so long. Was it a new claim for PIP or changing over from DLA to PIP? Have you had the letter saying they have all the info they need to make a decision?

I have said on my previous posts about my claim, that I have been very lucky that mine seemed to take a short time compared to the really long wait that some people have had.

Hopefully you will get good news soon.

Flymo
30-06-14, 10:19
It's hard to generalise too much about PIP delays, as there are two assessment providers and several Benefit Delivery Centres making the decisions.

I join you in hoping that cookmysock hears about his PIP claim soon, babyblu64.

NeurologicalNed
30-06-14, 10:37
Hi babyblu64, It was a brand new claim for PIP. I haven't received a letter saying they have all the information, but I have received a copy of the HCP report weeks ago now.

Every time I ring PIP they tell me it shouldn't be much longer and to wait another week.

Scrap that, my wife has just handed me the letter which has just come through the post LOL! Coincidence or what?!

Thank you to you and Flymo for your best wishes x

Flymo
30-06-14, 10:41
Is that the letter saying they have everything they need, or the decision?

NeurologicalNed
30-06-14, 11:20
Sorry mate, it's the letter saying they have everything they need.

Got a rough idea how long it should take after getting this letter?

Is it an automatically generated letter or does it mean someone's actually looking at my case now and it's not just assigned to a dm and in a queue?

Flymo
30-06-14, 11:29
I was holding my breath for a moment hoping your wait was over.

It's unclear precisely what triggers the "everything we need" letter, though it seems to be sent in every caseby way of apology for the lengthy assessment delays once the hard copy assessment report is available on DWP's computer system. At that point, you're dependent on the queue in the Benefit Distribution Centre dealing with your claim, though the decision can be made very quickly (mine was within days, though that was some 7.5 months ago now).

Usually, a decision is made and notified within 2-4 weeks of the hard copy report arriving on the DWP computer system. The start of this time window might have occurred some time ago in your case. In a small number of cases, the decision maker needs to request further evidence, often by asking the assessment provider to correct or clarify something in the report.

It really is an "any time now" situation. Once the decision is made, notification and implementation of that decision seems to be pretty fast in most cases, so hopefully it won't be too long until you get a decision letter.

NeurologicalNed
30-06-14, 11:46
I bet it's taken so long because I challenged the report before decision. You did say to me it was a bad idea and may delay the process and it seems you were right.

The dwp confirmed some weeks ago that they had both electronic and a hard copy of the report.

The wait had been agonising and stressful, I just want a decision now either way. I don't feel like I have enough fight left in me to challenge the pip decision if it isn't in my favour. I'm just relieved to have won my MR for esa.

On a positive note, the council have agreed to put a lift in so I can get in and out of the bath safely as well as some grab rails.

Flymo
30-06-14, 11:50
Hold on to the positive things - the ESA situation is sorted and the adaptations to the house will be welcome, I'm sure.

You only need to look for the strength to mount a challenge to the PIP decision if and when that proves necessary. I'll do what I can that is within my power to help if a reconsideration is necessary.

For now you can only wait and concentrate on living.

NeurologicalNed
30-06-14, 12:29
Bless you mate, I really appreciate all you do for me and others on here. You're a rock to so many of us ;)

Fieldymouse21
30-06-14, 13:01
Bless you mate, I really appreciate all you do for me and others on here. You're a rock to so many of us ;)

I second that !! Flymo is without question a Godsend giving his valuable time offering help and advice even when hes feeling unwell he does his very best to help and advise. Xx

NeurologicalNed
30-06-14, 13:43
Sorry double post. My mistake

perditaf
30-06-14, 14:16
Hi Cookmysock,
I too held my breath and thought 'this is it' It is so difficult when you see a brown envelope to contain the emotions which run through you. I totally agree with you all on here that Flymo is a rock and this forum wouldn't be the same without him.
I hope the DWP make the right decision the first time and you receive that within the next couple of weeks, but Flymo is right you have battled through ESA and getting suitable adaptations for your home. With his support, if necessary, you will find the strength to get through a mandatory reconsideration.
Let us know when that 'letter' does drop on the door mat.
Helen

NeurologicalNed
30-06-14, 15:02
Hi Cookmysock,
I too held my breath and thought 'this is it' It is so difficult when you see a brown envelope to contain the emotions which run through you. I totally agree with you all on here that Flymo is a rock and this forum wouldn't be the same without him.
I hope the DWP make the right decision the first time and you receive that within the next couple of weeks, but Flymo is right you have battled through ESA and getting suitable adaptations for your home. With his support, if necessary, you will find the strength to get through a mandatory reconsideration.
Let us know when that 'letter' does drop on the door mat.
Helen
Hi Helen :) Thanks ever so much.

You're right, the emotions really do run through you and you go through all different ones. I pray that the DWP make the right decision the first time, they got it half right the first time. I can't really complain because they ignored Atos' assessment of me and awarded me points based on my own evidence, even though I still had to challenge it.
It seems the DWP tend to, on most occasions, award more points than the HCP rather than less and the HCP awarded me 8 points in both care and mobility in her report.

I just want it over and done with now, even if it's only for 12 months and I have to go through it all again!

OP, I'm sorry for hijacking your thread xx

dhcasual
02-07-14, 22:15
hi, just found this forum and mighty glad I did, really interesting reading, would like some help please regarding pip decision, had my assesment at home on april 16th this year , was carried out by capita, now that's 11 weeks ago now and haven't heard a thing from the dwp, this is a new claim sad I haven't had dla, now seems mighty long time to not hear a thing, is it best to phone dwp and see what's going on, and is there a specific number regarding pip claims, really appreciate any help

yvonne76
02-07-14, 22:27
Hi there. Am also new here. I applied in October 2013 and went for face to face assessment just after the bank holiday in May. Hopefully a decision will b made soon, considering the time scales some have been quoting here am hoping it wont be too long now. I have been reading up on several threads here and getting more knowledge and am thankful as I was clueless as to what exactly happens regards to the process and the inevitable delays. Just knowing there is someone out there either who has gone through the same, or who have taken their time to research and post ( Flymo and Paul spring to mind). Thank you ever so much I know I can always post if and when the need arises my question and get help here :) :D

Flymo
03-07-14, 06:22
hi, just found this forum and mighty glad I did, really interesting reading, would like some help please regarding pip decision, had my assesment at home on april 16th this year , was carried out by capita, now that's 11 weeks ago now and haven't heard a thing from the dwp, this is a new claim sad I haven't had dla, now seems mighty long time to not hear a thing, is it best to phone dwp and see what's going on, and is there a specific number regarding pip claims, really appreciate any help

The DWP PIP helpdesk is on 0345 850 3322 (at 'normal' call rates - you can also use the older number 0845 850 3322 but that may well cost you more). If it turns out that DWP have yet to receive anything from Capita, you can contact Capita on 0808 178 8114.

When DWP get the hard copy of the report, the decision is usually made and notified within 3-4 weeks. Unfortunately, some people have suffered lengthy delays between their face to face assessment and Capita sending the report to DWP.

Flymo
03-07-14, 06:56
Hi there. Am also new here. I applied in October 2013 and went for face to face assessment just after the bank holiday in May. Hopefully a decision will b made soon, considering the time scales some have been quoting here am hoping it wont be too long now. I have been reading up on several threads here and getting more knowledge and am thankful as I was clueless as to what exactly happens regards to the process and the inevitable delays. Just knowing there is someone out there either who has gone through the same, or who have taken their time to research and post ( Flymo and Paul spring to mind). Thank you ever so much I know I can always post if and when the need arises my question and get help here :) :D

Sadly, you are not alone with the delays.

It seems to have become common practice from DWP to send out letters saying they have everything they need to make a decision once they have received the assessment report and loaded it onto their system. If you haven't yet had one of those letters, the assessment provider might not yet have sent the report.

The worst of the delays are in getting an appointment for face to face assessment, but there are sometimes significant delays between assessment and the report being sent to DWP.

There's no harm in an occasional call to DWP and the relevant assessment contractor helpline if you want to know what is happening with your claim.

dhcasual
03-07-14, 09:15
The DWP PIP helpdesk is on 0345 850 3322 (at 'normal' call rates - you can also use the older number 0845 850 3322 but that may well cost you more). If it turns out that DWP have yet to receive anything from Capita, you can contact Capita on 0808 178 8114.

When DWP get the hard copy of the report, the decision is usually made and notified within 3-4 weeks. Unfortunately, some people have suffered lengthy delays between their face to face assessment and Capita sending the report to DWP.

many thanks for that , will try and speak to them later👍

marcus6
03-07-14, 18:36
You're very lucky. I applied for pip last October. I had my assessment nearly 9 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for a decision!

Hi, i'm also new to this site!
I put in for PIP last October like you, and i'm still waiting for F2F assessment date. been on ESA for just over 2 years now, i had a reassessment done back in march for ESA but a week before my reassessment they put me in WRAG lol, so i have my reassessment done and the woman that done it was very good and understanding i was in and out with in 20min , and i phoned DWP up about 5 days later and they told me i had been put back in the support group.

so just waiting for my PIP assessment date now.

dhcasual
04-07-14, 13:47
well, spoke to capita this afternoon and apparently my report is still with the health assessor , so not even been sent to dwp after 10/11 weeks, which is a joke, guy from capita very apologetic and said it could be that my case is bit more technical than I thought it was, so will not be expecting a decision any time soon👎😡

NeurologicalNed
04-07-14, 15:55
Sorry to hear that dhcasual. I would be asking my MP to call them and give them a kick up the back side.

NeurologicalNed
04-07-14, 15:55
Nice one Marcus. How long for?

marcus6
04-07-14, 18:23
Nice one Marcus. How long for?

Thanks,

How long for what?? << what my ESA (i dont know i'm waiting for a copy of my report.) , i'm still waiting for my PIP F2F assessment its only been 8 months, i did phone them today but they said there system was down. :(

yvonne76
12-07-14, 07:42
Thank you Flymo. Will do just that. I happened to receive one such letter yesterday stating they have received the information from atos and apologising for the delay. Will definitely chase it up as I had tried holding back on ringing them at least once a week as I used to do before I hot my f2f assessment. Once again thanks

dhcasual
23-07-14, 20:56
well 14 weeks today since assesment , and still haven't heard a thing from dwp, will speak too capita tommorrow as have been away for a week, disgraceful I think

sev68
25-07-14, 14:16
Hi ive been awarded Enhanced rate for Personal Care an lower rate for mobility ,i was sent a form for Severe disability premium an filled out the form got a letter today telling me i was not entitled to this as i have my Daughter who lives with me even though she is a full time university student ,i dont have a regular carer but do have 3 very close friends who do alot for me on a daily basis ,was told that in order for me to claim carers allowance it has to be one person who cares for me ,is this true can they not put carers allowance on to my ESA an me share it out equally to the people that care for me?

deebee
25-07-14, 15:07
carers allowance an only be claimed by one person,who does the caring, not the person being cared for
I am not sure about the premium, hopefuly someone else will answer that

Flymo
25-07-14, 15:25
i was sent a form for Severe disability premium an filled out the form got a letter today telling me i was not entitled to this as i have my Daughter who lives with me even though she is a full time university student ,i dont have a regular carer but do have 3 very close friends who do alot for me on a daily basis ,was told that in order for me to claim carers allowance it has to be one person who cares for me ,is this true can they not put carers allowance on to my ESA an me share it out equally to the people that care for me?

That's not the way it works, I'm afraid. It's not an extra pot of money you can claim to divide up amongst others. To claim anything extra for care, you must meet the conditions for Severe Disability Premium, or allow someone to claim Carer's Allowance for looking after you.

To claim Severe Disability Premium you have to live alone or be treated as living alone. The rules on "treated as living alone" are complex, but in most cases anyone living with you who is not on DLA or PIP will disqualify you for SDP.

Only one person can claim Carer's Allowance for looking after you. To qualify they must be caring for you for at least 35 hours per week and earn less than £100/week. If several people meet these criteria, you have the choice of who claims CA.

From the description you give, it sounds as if DWP were probably correct to rule that you are not entitled to SDP and it doesn't sound as if any of the friends you mention will meet the CA requirements. However, I don't have a complete picture.

As always, if you are unsure, it's best to seek advice from a local advice provider such as a local authority welfare rights project if you have one, or Citizen's Advice.

sev68
25-07-14, 16:01
So basically ive been penalised for allowing my 19yrold daughter to live with me even though she is not earning an is in full time education ?Well i wont be allowing anyone to claim carers allowance for me as its not one person who cares for me so i will not be claiming the "Extra Pot" as you so rudely put it ! I have paid into the system all my adult life an now unfortunately unable to work any longer so im not looking for "Extra Pots" just what im entitled to ,an having no knowledge of the Benefit System im finding it hard to find out what im entitled to !:mad::confused:

deebee
25-07-14, 16:16
I don,t think Flymo was being rude, just explaining how carers allowance works, basically, if a person gives 35 hrs a week or more of care then they would not be able to work full time,so the allowance is for them,does that make sense?
The carers premium is for people who live alone and do not have a carer
The bit that I was not clear on is certain people living with you don,t count and I was not sure if a daughter in full time education counted

RubyRed
25-07-14, 16:34
Sev68, if you have a look at this 'www.gov.uk/browse/benefits' it will tell you everything you need to know about claiming benefits.
Or have a look at Age UKs site.

Unfortunately all benefits have their own criteria to meet and the criteria is getting much stricter now with a lot of people not able to claim what they think they should get and a lot of benefits being taken away from those that have claimed them for years.

Flymo
25-07-14, 17:15
So basically ive been penalised for allowing my 19yrold daughter to live with me even though she is not earning an is in full time education ?Well i wont be allowing anyone to claim carers allowance for me as its not one person who cares for me so i will not be claiming the "Extra Pot" as you so rudely put it ! I have paid into the system all my adult life an now unfortunately unable to work any longer so im not looking for "Extra Pots" just what im entitled to ,an having no knowledge of the Benefit System im finding it hard to find out what im entitled to !:mad::confused:

Thank you for taking offence at what was intended as a polite explanation. If you don't want the community's comments, you don't need to post here.

You suggested the amount of Carer's Allowance could be added to your ESA for you to divide up against your carers. For ease of explanation, I termed that the "extra pot of money", which was an approximation of how you were attempting to view it, and explained that sum can only be claimed as SDP or CA.

Carer's Allowance is designed to provide for the basic living needs of someone who has limited or no opportunity to work because they care for a severely disabled person for at least 35 hours per week. A student cannot claim Carer's Allowance because their basic living needs are covered by their student finance package.

Severe Disability Premium is designed to provide for the extra living costs incurred by a severely disabled person who lives alone and has no carer on Carer's Allowance. Such a person might have to pay for additional things to be done for them. Those who do not live alone are assumed to have some opportunity to pass these tasks on to those they live with.

Part of the cost of allowing your student daughter to live with you is loss of entitlement to Severe Disability Premium. It is up to you whether you accept that or demand an extra contribution towards household bills from her as a result.

If you are on Housing Benefit, your PIP Daily Living component means you will no longer have to pay a non-dependent deduction for your daughter. If you contact the council office dealing with your Housing Benefit with proof of your PIP award, they should be able to recalculate your Housing Benefit for you.

beau
25-07-14, 18:48

There are many of us on here who have been penalised, not the least for saving as hard as we could in previous years to help us through later life. Any savings we may have are now been eaten up by disability needs. We do not get any help towards anything and any income is cut because we have saved in the past yet many of us have worked all our lives and paid into the system for years.

seriouslyfedup
26-07-14, 01:18
There are many of us on here who have been penalised, not the least for saving as hard as we could in previous years to help us through later life. Any savings we may have are now been eaten up by disability needs. We do not get any help towards anything and any income is cut because we have saved in the past yet many of us have worked all our lives and paid into the system for years.

Very true Beau. If my husband was to lose his job, the only state help we'd get would be 6 months contribution based JSA for him then I'd be supporting him from an occ pension. Despite the fact aged 60 he has worked continuously since the age of 17, and I worked for over 30 years , and in the majority of those work years was a higher rate tax payer. Friends of mine have worked all their lives but didn't live long enough to receive a pension.

But the revenue the government collects from net tax payers, corporations and stealth taxes is all used to support public services we expect, and provide a safety net standard of living for people in times of trouble. The UK has one of the best welfare distribution systems in the world so I think residents are very lucky despite all the complaints to the contrary .