PDA

View Full Version : Technology - how useful is it to you?

Lighttouch
29-11-14, 13:06
I only brought this subject up because of an update to Apple's computer software.

I'm only just discovering how Apple like to intertwine their 'devices'.

I've always been an Apple fan as I had to use their technology at work. You don't need to know a lot about these kind of computers as they are 'intuitive' - they just work.

The latest thing happening is that if someone calls me on my iPhone I can now take the call on my iMac - I don't miss a call if the Mobile is in another room while I'm on the computer.

Another thing is I can receive and send text messages from my iMac too.

This may not be remarkable to some people but I find it fascinating. What an interesting world we live in!

reddivine
30-11-14, 08:28
Ahh, talk to Jman, he's another apple geek. Forgive me for not sharing your enthusiasm. I work and have to work with, other folks with WORD. If I send to Jman, he can read, BUT we cannot send and attachment and then edit on his computer.....incompatible software.

Lighttouch
30-11-14, 11:12
Ahh, talk to Jman, he's another apple geek. Forgive me for not sharing your enthusiasm. I work and have to work with, other folks with WORD. If I send to Jman, he can read, BUT we cannot send and attachment and then edit on his computer.....incompatible software.

Hi Reddivine, Apple bundle all sorts of software with the computers, tablets and iPhone.

I also use Microsoft Offices 'Word' because most people use it. You just have to rememember to save the file as a .doc and not as a .docx which is the default Mac setting that can't be opened on a PC. http://www.microsoft.com/uk/mac/products I always go on a training course, get a student card then buy software with Educational discount - very reasonable.

Attachments are easy to send on a Mac as you just click on the file then drag and drop onto the email - couldn't be easier!

Sorry, I couldn't quite make out your point in the last sentence - please explain.

beau
30-11-14, 11:27
Pretty useful to me as I can stay in contact with friends I am no longer able to visit. On saying that I think as a whole population, businesses, education etc. depend on it too much. Especially education, many of the old skills are being lost and when the technology falls over the kids are lost as they are unable to revert to other methods, for example, using dictionaries and being able to do calculations.

tattymama
30-11-14, 14:30
I agree with you, beau. I find it invaluable for finding information and advice that I would otherwise have to travel to obtain, or may not know where to get the advice from. I also find it a great help in me having contact with the wider, as one of my disabilities is severe anxiety, especially mixing with other people.

Flymo
01-12-14, 09:26
I also use Microsoft Offices 'Word' because most people use it. You just have to rememember to save the file as a .doc and not as a .docx which is the default Mac setting that can't be opened on a PC.

All versions of Word from 2007 upwards use .docx natively. The Windows versions of Word XP (the version of Word in Office 2002) and Word 2003 can use .docx if you install the free compatibility pack from download.microsoft.com

.docx is technically a superior format in many ways - it allows additional features and avoids some of the unpredictability with complex layouts that .doc was notorious for. I recommend avoiding .doc as far as possible and haven't had to save anything in .doc for several years. All my other applications (such an Adobe InDesign) understand .docx and my university now accepts .docx anywhere they accept .doc.

I always go on a training course, get a student card then buy software with Educational discount - very reasonable.

The rules on student discount for Microsoft Office have got a lot tougher in the past few years. I don't believe you can get any perpetual licence (outright purchase) version of Office above Home Premium with student discount now, and the licence you get forbids commercial use. You used to be able to get Office Professional as a student with no licence restrictions.

There is Office 365 University, which is a subscription product including all Office applications other than Visio and Project for four years, but this is only available to bona fide university students. Signing up for a course at the local college is unlikely to allow you to pass the verification process for Office 365 University. As courses have become more expensive with the reduction in government support for further and higher education, the days of signing up for a cheap course primarily for the discounts are really behind us.

I shall stick with my student licence versions of Office 2010 Professional Plus, Visio 2010 Premium and Project 2010 Professional on Windows that I bought at the beginning of my degree until they become too obsolete to be usable.

Attachments are easy to send on a Mac as you just click on the file then drag and drop onto the email - couldn't be easier!

I haven't come across a modern Windows e-mail client that doesn't allow drag and drop to attach a file to an e-mail. Outlook certainly does.

Lighttouch
01-12-14, 10:37
I haven't come across a modern Windows e-mail client that doesn't allow drag and drop to attach a file to an e-mail. Outlook certainly does.

Luckily I've not had to use a PC. Most of my experience of people not being able to open .docx files was from PC users but maybe it depended on what version of Word they were running.

I last got Educational discount o software about two years ago when I took a night school course on Photoshop costing £80. I was able to purchase Microsoft Office and Adobe's Creative Suite CS4 for a considerable discount.

A lot of stuff now might need to be bought through the cloud - to stop pirate copies being made.

You can also use PC software on a Mac as a PC - the question has to be why and what a waste!

Lighttouch
01-12-14, 18:03
NETFLIX - Digital Films

I'm with Virginmedia and it always annoys me when I see this company dangling carrots to entice new viewers to join with special offers.

I phoned and complained so they asked what I wanted. Now I'm paying less for the same bundle but they've thrown in NETFLIX for free for 6 months. Is it any wonder that Blockbusters went bust!

The technology now means you could watch movies on any digital device once you log in.

catlover
02-12-14, 13:13
A friend's husband had a heart attack recently. He's now home with some sort of defibrillator that's monitored by the hospital via wifi.

nukecad
02-12-14, 15:48
Our internet was down all day yesterday (and half of last Friday).

I have wifi access to both a BT router and a Talk-Talk router on different landlines so have been buffered against this sort of thing.
But both were offline yesterday (and Friday), and only the Talk-Talk is back at the moment.

I blame Black Friday and Cyber Monday, the servers were getting overloaded so they cut off us rural Northerners.

Lighttouch
02-12-14, 17:15
I saw an invitation that addressed disabled people to see if they could help in a research project relating to 3-D printing technology. And today I was notified that I can join the team.

I know it's geeky but I'm quite excited to be involved and will hopefully be able to experiment with this relatively new technology that's at the cutting edge of custom manufacturing. Here's what I'm in for starting on 12 December 2014. . . . .

Could you help to shape our research project?

We aim to explore the possibilities of 'digital fabrication', or '3D' printing - a new technology which allows us to print three dimensional objects from computer files.

? We want to find out whether this technology can help to improve the lives of disabled people, their families and their communities.

? Working with disabled people, their friends, families, carers and communities, we want to offer access to and training in digital fabrication.

? In return for your time, we can offer expert facilitation, training, mentoring, and support . We can pay expenses too.

HOW COOL!!

<span style="font-family: arial; font-size: medium;"><strong>
http://youtu.be/VjzibrCi9Js

Lighttouch
12-12-14, 18:11
I was really looking forward to getting involved with this forum above in person this afternoon.

Programmed in the destination on my smartphone and I was talked through the directions and ended up on Campus but then disaster . . .

The very street I needed to use to gain access to the building we were meeting in had been closed while heavy industrial trucks and cranes were being used on a nearby building - bugger!! It was too far away to park up and get there on foot - if only my electric wheelchair had been ordered. I had no option but to head for home.

What irritates me is that the people who organised this day wuld have been away of an 'access issue' on Monday. Goes to show you that people do need 'disability awareness training' to understand that simple barriers to some turn out to be big disabling barriers to some disabled people.

So how did it make me feel - a bit sad, a bit angry and a bit non-plussed to think that a University can't think ahead and find a new accessible venue for disabled people to attend!

reddivine
17-12-14, 07:28
LT: hope you emailed said uni with your concerns. Well in fiction ie on telly they have 3D printed heart valves and Jman says they are theoretically proposing printing a kidney.....
I too have Virgin media...I'm pleased overall....we downsized our "bundle" - I don't WANT all the flippin sports channels! and son paid for netflix! Very useful I can pause (loo breaks) and stop (phone call from Jman) and record when there is good prog and watch when there is zippo!

Lighttouch
17-12-14, 11:28
Reddivine, when I was on the Campus looking at the blocked road I did leave a message on the lecturer's answering machine highlighting what I thought of his accessible venue. Maybe that's why he never got back!

More technology - ordered xmas presents through Amazon which were delivered yesterday by Alex at DPD - he even brought them into the spare room - what a service.

Finalised xmas shopping online and using 'click and collect' which makes life easy!

reddivine
17-12-14, 16:41
I order my groceries online (couldn't manage otherwise). Done a lot of xmas shopping the last 3 yrs online. (crowds and wheelies do NOT mix). I do LIKE shopping but with a wheelchair, you can't get much or you need a "minion" to carry bags!
But to get back to
Technology - how useful is it to you? (http://www.youreable.com/forums/showthread.php/9613-Technology-how-useful-is-it-to-you/page2)
Well w.o. the laptop, i could not do shopping, talk to the b/friend on Skype, contact people, do my banking, network (like here).
Also am part of the admin team at church. Which works as i have TIME and skills and wd go insane w.o. my work.

nukecad
18-12-14, 21:33
I had no internet connection for the last two days. (Long story).

Withdrawal sypmtoms.

jt14972
24-06-15, 10:20
Tech is so useful in our everyday lives! Most of us couldn't get anywhere without Google Maps. And who doesn't love playing on a bit of Candy Crush?

Does anyone think they could go a week without using their smartphone? I certainly couldn't!

carl30
24-06-15, 10:55
Without technology none of us would be able to talk to each other. Were all using some form of device to access this website.

Whilst i wouldnt consider myself a tech geek, the technology i do have is very useful to me. For example the internet has been a valuable source of information for me over the last year with everything that has been going on with my health. Looking up symptoms of depression and matching them up to me is what gave me the confidence to make that initial trip to my GP.

Even things like ebay and amazon have been great for me being able to find items without having to search through store after store.

Sat nav has gave me the freedom to go out and visit places. I can remember the days before i had sat nav, attempting to use an a-z and more often than not, getting lost. Constantly having to stop to look at the map again.

Lighttouch
24-06-15, 22:38
Quite a lot of the technology we use today stems from the military. Sat Nav is on your smartphone or TomTom but initially it was used to guide Cruise missiles to blow up their target.

The next time you have a fry up remember that 'Teflon' for non-stick qualities originated via the US Space Programme!

reddivine
04-07-15, 06:29
thats where the funds for research go. Digital fabrication? well for all the talk of printing body parts, didn't take long for someone to try printing a gun, did it? Le sigh......

Fliss
19-07-15, 09:24
How are you getting on RD?