Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accommodation in Derby or Shrewsbury, ideas please.

Accommodation in Derby or Shrewsbury, ideas please.

Hi all

I am after some advice/info/ideas for accommodation please.

My partner is treating me to a couple of days away next week. We are looking at Derby or Shrewsbury, (both within easy travelling distance by train, as we do not drive.)

Has anyone been and if so, could you recommend somewhere to stay?

It would need to be close to the city centre.

We are looking up to about £75 per room per night.

I have looked on the internet and also Tripadvisor, but getting worn out trying to find something.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I haven't been to Derby before but have just booked a room at the Hampton's by Hilton. Booked an accessible room online for £53 and as I collect Hilton points I get those as well.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Hi Vantage

I have already looked at that one. Unfortunately it is not central enough for us, but thanks for the info.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

We have found a nice place to stay in Shrewsbury. It is in the centre, so very good for getting about.
    I contacted them direct and got a good deal. Ground floor twin ensuite for cheaper than the website price.
    Our dog is already booked in kennels, so we can look forward to a nice relaxing couple of days away.

Well done, hope you have a good time
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Shrewsbury is very nice. i live in Telford, short train ride away. i don't know your disability and mobility. Just be warned, its HILLY and as a medieval town, cobbles in places. City centre pretty well accessible tho. Some great tea shops. Visit the information service first and get a map! It a confusing town w.o. one!

Thanks .

I had a good read through reviews on Tripadvisor, (my "go to" thing when thinking of going away). The majority of reviews were very good. The hotel has 4 specific rooms for less able people, 2 in the main hotel on the ground floor and 2 in the "garden lodge". (it does state suitable for people accompanied by a carer, which is fine for us).

I hope you have a nice time in Derby.

Thanks for the tips redvine.

We are not too far away, Stoke on Trent. We try to not go to far when we are having a short break.

The hotle is in the centre of Shrewsbury, so a good base to start.
    I know the hotel provides guests with maps etc. Also, I found some tips on another site, ( ways to get around town etc).
    I will be taking my time with plenty of rest stops, so the tea shops will be getting plenty of custom, lol.

Indoor markets worth a tootle around as well.

Im sure there has to be a premier inn or a travellodge somewhere too really like those especially their accessible rooms