Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accommodation in Derby or Shrewsbury, ideas please.

Just out of interest I was talking to a friend of mine whose disabled partner died recently. She said that they found Holiday Expess Inns exceptional as they are happy to supply a room for the disabled person and an additional free room for a carer. They use to take advantage of this ruling if another disabled friend joined them as they'd give her the room instead. And the hotel staff didn't mind!

Well, our trip did not go quite as well as planned.

The hotel was nice, although describing the room as suitable for disabled was not totally accurate.

We had to check in at reception in the main house, up 3 steep steps. (no grabrails). The room we booked was in the "garden lodge", which we were aware of, as we needed a ground floor accessible room. (The room was described as suitable for a disabled person accompanied by a carer).

The "lodge" was through a side gate and located in the garden at the back of the hotel. There was a ramp, but in very poor condition, with cracks and raised bits of concrete etc, also a tree/vine type thing along the railings with large twigs etc poking out over the ramped area. (I decided not to take my wheelchair and hire one there if needed. As it happens, it would have been a bit of a job using it up the uneven ramp and the height of the twigs etc would have been at head level in a wheelchair.)

The room was ok, but not accessible if using a wheelchair as there was very little room around the beds and impossible to manouvre a wheelchair. The bathroom was fine, a very large area, level access shower etc. The bedroom was a bit on the "tatty" side and not up to my standard of clean. (cobwebs, dust etc).

For breakfast we had to make our way back over to the main hotel part to get to the dining room. (down the wonky, uneven ramp again and up the steep steps). Breakfast was average at best, very cheap ingredients and pretty flavourless.

Shrewsbury itself was nice, lots of shops, plenty of places to have a cuppa etc. We visited the Abbey, (home of Brother Cadfael in the Ellis Peters books), which was lovely.

Unfortunately, on the Wednesday afternoon, I ended up at the Hospital, (nearest walk in centre). I had a bit of a tickly cough as we left home Tuesday morning, by Wednesday afternoon I was feeling very poorly. I was coughing really bad, having trouble with my breathing and a high temperature. I was seen by the Doctor and I have another nasty chest infection. So, 2 more lots of antibiotics and a joblot of steroids!!

We came home Thursday and I have been laid up in bed since then. So, all in all, a bit of good and a bit of bad.

We would probably not go back to Shrewsbury, although it is nice. We like to take a couple of mini breaks a year if we can manage it, but like to visit a different place each time.

I would not recommend the hotel, especially for mobility impaired/disabled guests as it does not really have fully accessible rooms and public areas.

Our next holiday is in June. We are off to Butlins in Skegness with the whole family for a week.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Interesting to read. Thank you for sharing.

I'm planning on a couple of short breaks this year - would be travelling alone, require it flat, and near local amenities. Been looking about as I would want to rent a scooter or similar so that I could enjoy the place I'm visiting.

Looked at a hotel recently in/near St. Austell as I would love to re-visit the Eden Project.

I'll look extremely carefully at the facilities before making any decision.

Hi AmyS

I think one of the best places we have been with regard to being flat and near things has to be Weston-Super-Mare.
    We stayed in a lovely b and b, rooms lovely, breakfast fab and owners very helpful. Weston is flat and there is lots to do. Plenty of shops, the pier etc. We had a lovely time.
    We also enjoyed Chester last year. Again a lovely guest house. We were about a mile from the centre, but there are great bus links.

I always make sure there are ground floor or adapted rooms available where we are staying. I also use Trip Advisor to see how the hotels, guest houses etc perform. You can also find info on several other sites about disability access.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Thank you babyblu64 will definitely bear these in mind - like the idea of Chester, Weston is not that far from me.

Cheers

I lived in Cornwall for a number of years Amy, (Bude, North Cornwall) and it is a beautiful county. The only problem is if you do not drive, the public transport is very sparse in places. If you drive/have a car, then its a wonderful place. (I used to drive, but when I had to stop driving, things were difficult.)

I miss Cornwall immensely and would love to go back, visit friends etc, but the journey would be too much for me now I think.

Sorry to hear shrewsbury dissappointed. I have stayed in a load of hotels, here and abroad and i would say. Phone before you book and interrogate the management. Explain you need a ramp etc etc. And if is below par, give em hell.
    i should leave a suitably honest review on the website.
    I have found Premier Inns to be pretty good re: wheelchairs. The best ever disabled room was in Travelodge in Lancaster. It was HUGE!
    Accessed by lift, as its above shops but worth it. They don't do meals, but the 1st day i did a little exploration and found places v near!
    Got from the station to hotel by taxi.
    Its worth being firm about your expectations. In Rhodes they do not consider a kettle as standard. Well I threw a wobbly and got one!
    In Blackpool they gave us 2 singles instead of a double and the wetroom stank of chlorine........needless to say we got a room change.

good luck

Hi reddivine

I will certainly be leaving a review. I am a member of Trip Advisor and always give honest reviews as I feel this is the only way to be. It is no good saying things were alright, especially if you have needs above and beyond the average guest. I like to think by leaving honest reviews that it will help other travellers with similar needs etc.
    I did read the hotels accessibilty statement and could not see a problem, so I was disappointed to find that things were not as good as I was expecting.
    We paid the same price for this hotel as we did when we stayed in Chester. Comparing the two, Chester was far superior. I had no problem leaving very good reviews for Chester. I am afraid that for Shrewsbury it will not be so good. Shrewsbury itself was very nice, it is just the disappointment with the hotel that took the shine off our break.