Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESA and free prescriptions

ESA and free prescriptions

Please can someone help me.i don't know what to do!! I have inadvertently claimed two prescriptions thinking I was entitled to them free as I am on pip and cb ESA.i have now been told I am not!!
    Shall I phone dwp and tell them.i have read that you have to pay a huge fine if they find out.
    This was a genuinene mistake as this is my first time on benefits,
    I don't want this hanging Iver me.what can I do to put it right xxxx

Don't panic just head to the chemist and apologise and offer to pay...I wouldn't think they would take things further

How did you find out you are NOT exempt? Possibly ring them as you say (though I've no idea).

Gosh um I've been searching on the internet:

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/CounterFrau...81_leaflet.pdf

I'm in receipt of ESA Support - Income Related - I presented my letter to the dentist and optician and get free dental treatment and eye test including a pair of glasses.

As I live in Wales I already receive free prescriptions which is a relief as I fluctuate between 8 and 10 prescriptions per month, the only reason they change is sometimes I come off one or two and then have a gap before they try something else.

Another link: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...tioncosts.aspx shows what medication is exempt

With IR ESA - prescriptions are free
    CB ESA - you have to pay

If you have got free prescriptions in error don't worry it's a mistake - no need to rectify just pay for any future ones if on CB ESA

No, you will not have to pay a huge fine if they find out - as Lighttouch said - you've just made an error.

Don't worry - if I were you i'd just carry on as normal.

As you are not entitled to help under ESA rules, maybe you could check to see if you qualify for a Medical Exemption Certificate, click here:

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1126.aspx , or the Low Income Sheme may apply.

Thanks for your answers guys.
    It was a genuinene mistake.
    I will pay from now on.just hope they don't realise what I have done!!!
    Xx

please dont beat yourself up about it!
    glad you posted this as I was trying to find out if I will have to pay for mine as my benefits have changed, but am glad to see that as I am income based I will carry on getting them free
    this is a side of the coin they never show isnt it, on those silly programmes making out any one on benefits to be a scrounger,waster or fraud,,,,,someone worrying because they may have inadvertently claimed a couple of prescriptions that they were not entitled to.
    Do check to see if you qualify for the help the other poster suggested and if you are not and you have a lot of regular meds, have you considered a sort of season ticket thing
    sorry dont remember what it is called, but brain fuzzed this morning

I agree that it would be best to go back to the pharmacy, explain the error and ask for their advice. You know it was a genuine mistake but they don't - if you've ticked a box on the back of the prescription to say that you are exempt when you're not they may think you deliberately attempted to defraud the system and that could have consequences. Best to 'fess up and admit your error before they find out and contact you. You can be fined if you try to claim free prescriptions when not entitled.

As someone else stated earlier in this thread, you may be entitled to free prescriptions on the basis of having a low income so worth looking into that. If not you may find it worthwhile to get a pre-payment certificate. I do that and pay monthly for it.

I totally understand what you are saying.i am going to the pharmacy today.i am also thinking of phoning the nhs fraud line to tell them of my error.i am an honest person and if I had any intention of committing fraud I wouldn't have posted the question in the first place!!!

Have just phoned the nhs prescriptions helpline and the lady was lovely.told me not to worry and that I had done the right thing by phoning them.
    She said that if I got a penalty charge come through to ring them and they would waver the charge and I would only have to pay for the prescription.
    I offered to pay there and then but she said no just wait and see what happens..
    I feel so relieved.
    So please don't judge me saying I was hoping to get away with it because that wasn't the case