Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice needed for pip mandatory reconsideration

advice needed for pip mandatory reconsideration

Hello everyone i have just registered and any advice will be greatly appreciated. I applied for PIP and was given 9 points for daily living and 0 for mobility. I have an appt with citizens advice next week to help with a MR. In a nutshell I was so disappointed I didn't get more points. I have OCD and have the same microwave meal each night. If I don't have that meal I won't cook anything else so I need the microwave because I am entrenched in OCD rituals even down to my meal each night. No points I was told in the decision section that it was my personal choice to have that meal. I said I need help getting in and out if the bath and the assessor asked me did I need help washing once in the bath and I said yes I need help washing my back as I cannot reach. I am very overweight with a paraumbilicial hernia.I only got 2 points that I need encouragement to wash or bathe. This is wrong underscored there. I have issues with using the toilet and cannot use the toIiet for bowel movements I use newspaper due to a traumatic stillbirth. Have been for 13 years. No points at all I can use the toilet normally. No mobility points at all even though I have never left my house for an overnight stay in 13 years because of my toilet issues. Can't visit my family who do not live near me because I am too embarrassed to tell them of my toliet issues.no points for mobility when the assessor asked me do I go into town and I said no and she said oh because of your toilet issues. She asked do you know how to get into town and I said yes so I presumed she might be going down the cannot follow a familiar journey hence mobility points. . Because I said I go to the doctors at the end of my street and have been to the corner shop I score nothing for mobility even though I told her that when I go to the shop I stockpile food back at the house and then it goes out of date and I have to throw it out and because of this I need help to budget my money and got 2 points. Should I be asking them for a copy of my detailed report. The section in the result letter about the decision points is it the assessor on the day that five you the points or the actual decision maker. Thanks for reading
    Last edited by emedals96; 13-03-15 at 09:37. Reason: one additional point to add plus correct typo.

Advice also needed please. I have recently been awarded the lower rate for both the living & mobility elements. I have Parkinson's. I was scored 11 points for living & a total of 8 for the mobility. I am considering a MR on the fact that there numerous elements for the living component where I have scored zero points. However am scared of being totally re evaluated and loosing what I already have. Any advise please on what action I should take?

Hi rowej03
    All i can say is if you are going to ask for a MR just be aware that you can lose what you have been awarded. I was successful in getting award for PIP standard rate however i asked them to reconsider mobility part, no change to award and details of how to appeal. I actioned an appeal and DWP sent me a letter say that at appeal stage they will look at whole award again and decided I was not entitled to any award at all and withdrew my payment
    So in effect HCP recommend standard rate care, !st DM agreed so was awarded, 2nd DM agreed still entitled to care at MR stage but soon as went to appeal lost everything. Went to appeal and they stuck with DWP, didnt have anyone with me and obviously didnt know what to expect
    Have applied again, decision declined, now at MR but have had help from welfare rights. HCP stated in this report i cant lift arms above neck or put them behind my back and recommended 2points for needing an aid to wash or bathe lol in theory the decriptor 4f i fit is need help to wash between my shoulders and waist and descriptor 6e needs help to dress upper body but got 2points for needing an appliance
    No points for preparing food or taking nutrition.
    If you can get help from wefare rights or cab then i would seek help before making a decision that could lose you what you have.

If asking for a MR is it possible you can lose any original award given or is it more likely they stay with the original decision or increase it. I got 9 points and if I wanted to be doom and gloom I could think I was only 2 points from getting nothing. But I feel I have been underscored and would only need another 3 points at MR to give me enhanced daily living .

Hi xxxshonaxxx
    Many thanks for your feedback. I think I will arrange to obtain a decision report speak to Parkinson's advisor & CAB. See what they say but at this stage am tempted to hang on to what I have.

Hi, I had DLA to PIP the end of 2014.

When PIP came through I put in for reconsideration. Was clearly 'warned' you may lose all your PIP award, or it could stay the same or it could be amended.

I stated I wanted reconsideration. January 2015 - letter arrived and it was more favourable.

Hi AmyS, Did you request a copy of the decision report or go an advisor. Did you appeal against both elements. What was your approach. How long did thej reply take. Did it involve telephone contact? Sorry so many questions.
    Last edited by rowej03; 15-03-15 at 06:13. Reason: Grammer

Quote Originally Posted by rowej03 View Post
    Hi AmyS, Did you request a copy of the decision report or go an advisor. Did you appeal against both elements. What was your approach. How long did thej reply take. Did it involve telephone contact? Sorry so many questions.
    I didn't see an advisor - though HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

I had a PIP award just wasn't happy with it, so I saw the decision report with the letter advising of the outcome. You do not get a choice with appeal - reconsideration regardless means they look at the entire application again, they warn you if they reconsider you may lose ALL of your PIP, some of your PIP, it may remain the same or it may go up. You cannot appeal 'ONE' section.

I did this all over the phone. This was November 2014, they eventually rang me back mid January 2015, clarified are you sure you want a reconsideration - YES - warned AGAIN they do not look at just one part - they look at all of it. From that conversation within 10 days had a reconsideration letter.

For me it was more favourable.

AmyS. Many thanks for your assistance.

Well. I decided to apply for a MR on the basis that I only had to gain 1 point and to loose all my entitlement I would have end up having to loose 3 points within the living allowance element to loose the lower rate. I only appealed against 2 elements within the living allowance those being Managing toilet needs and washing and bathing. When I phoned up to register my intention to Request a MR I gleaned from the person I spoke to that I had a good chance of being successful and that I should supply some additional evidence to aid my MR. My MR only took approximately 1 week to be responded to and I have now received confermation that I will get the enhanced rate backdated to July last year. Happy days! : Many thanks for all your advice.
    Last edited by rowej03; 16-04-15 at 02:27.