Thread: Advice for pip reconsideration

Red face Advice for pip reconsideration

Hello, my son who has just changed over from dla to pip and was awarded enhanced care scoring 26 points for 7 years. We are more than happy with this but we feel that he should also be awarded low mobility (he scored 4 points) he cannot plan or follow a unfamiliar route due to lack of communication skills and other difficulties.
    We really don't know what to do regarding appealing this as I worry that if the whole award is looked at again they will reduce his award length, and I don't know if we should risk it. Does anybody have any previous knowledge of wether they can/ or do , or even heard of a award being reduced when asking for a mandatory reconsideration. Many thanks in advance.

In October 2014 (the expiry of my DLA) I had face2face home assessment for PIP2.

Previously DLA Low Rate Care and High Mobility Rate.

November letter arrived about PIP.

PIP Standard Rate Care and Standard Mobility Rate.

I asked for reconsideration as my High Mobility went to Standard Rate. I was warned I could lose all my PIP as they look at both components and not specifically just one component. I said I still want it reconsidered - realising I could lose it all.

January 2015, was asked again do you want reconsideration and again a warning. I said Yes.

A week or so later brown envelope arrived. New reconsideration for PIP.

PIP - Standard Rate Care
    PIP - Enhanced Mobility Rate

For me I benefited from the reconsideration.

Hi, did they change the length of the award at all. I just don't want to jeopardise is as he has been given seven years. Can I ask if you had a short or long award given?

Mine are always three years, possibly my age, no idea as I have a lifelong condition which over time will get worse - will never recover or improve - though if a miracle came along?

The reconsideration was just backdated to the start of PIP - not DLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettypetal1 View Post
    Hello, my son who has just changed over from dla to pip and was awarded enhanced care scoring 26 points for 7 years. We are more than happy with this but we feel that he should also be awarded low mobility (he scored 4 points) he cannot plan or follow a unfamiliar route due to lack of communication skills and other difficulties.
    We really don't know what to do regarding appealing this as I worry that if the whole award is looked at again they will reduce his award length, and I don't know if we should risk it. Does anybody have any previous knowledge of wether they can/ or do , or even heard of a award being reduced when asking for a mandatory reconsideration. Many thanks in advance.
    I asked for MR on my 1st award, nothing changed so went to appeal and DWP decided i wasnt entitled to anything and took award away. Tribunal agreed with DWP so lost appeal. When I think about things now I am sure they made a error of law or something as they said they relied on my rhuematologist reports, the said reports were only results of xrays and basically comfirming arthritis and fybromyalgia. Nothing in them detailing my self care problems or mobility. however im not a legal person so dont know.
    Just be careful in deciding what you do because it can happen
    Good luck x

Doubt he will get low mobility. They base that on your physical ability or not, to walk a certain distance. If can PHYSICALLY walk then its not a matter of mobility, but of communication/comprehension ie mental skills.

Yes thanks, it's to do with descriptor d, and wether he can plan and travel a unfamiliar journey, which he can't but like you say,is it worth? I have a little voice in the back of my mind saying don't risk it. I'm not so worried about them lowering his enhanced care as they would have to have a good reason to lower 26 points to below 12,it is the lenght of award I don't want to gamble with, it is his security. Does anyone know of any instances where a reward has been reduced when asking for a manditory reconsideration??

i was awarded life time dla in 1993 and have been living with severe back and hip pain for a long period of time this has not changed and as i reported a change in circumstances to the dwp in November last year i was told i had to apply for pip. this was done over several appointments which i attended and was told i do not qualify for pip or any component. as of the 28th of this month i will not be awarded any money for my care and support. Im one of the very many people who live with constant pain from sitting to lifting to moving around my life has changed and depression has taken a hold. Help

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    i was awarded life time dla in 1993 and have been living with severe back and hip pain for a long period of time this has not changed and as i reported a change in circumstances to the dwp in November last year i was told i had to apply for pip. this was done over several appointments which i attended and was told i do not qualify for pip or any component. as of the 28th of this month i will not be awarded any money for my care and support. Im one of the very many people who live with constant pain from sitting to lifting to moving around my life has changed and depression has taken a hold. Help
    Hi triumph

You've tagged this onto another thread, you may get more answers by starting a fresh thread.

Unfortunately, with DLA and PIP they have entirely different descriptors. You need to demonstrate the care and mobility needs quite specifically - not just - I'm in pain. I'm sure most of us on here live with pain 24/7 - the descriptors ask how do you manage your day to day daily life - not purely 'I'm in pain'.

On DLA I was on Low Rate Care and High Mobility Rate.

PIP - different descriptors - went to Standard Rate Care and Enhanced Mobility Rate.

I recommend you start a new thread - this one may be overlooked as being inactive for several weeks.

I asked for MR of just the mobility component and was successful and stated I agreed with the care award. There are no guarantees but I haven't personally heard of anyone having one reduced or taken away .