Thread: I think I'm losing my home because my child started working. Any help please?

I think I'm losing my home because my child started working. Any help please?

Hello to All

I'm on ESA SG. My child decided to leave college at 18yrs. I told the goverment and my Child Ben stopped and so did my Child tax credit. I expected this.

What I didn't expect was to lose my housing benefits and have to pay a hefty Council tax bill this year.

Does anyone know if this Is right because I thought I just lost my child ben and child tax credits?
    If this is right it means I will be moving again but have worse health. This means I'll have to leave everything as I don't know barely anyone.

I've been treated very badly by the housing councils and assoc and they know I'm alone. They have done things to me in my home that is beyond right and beyond comprehension. Now I think they have reached their ultimate goal to get me evicted as that's the only way I can lose my home is rent arrears as Ive got a good lifes worth of good clean living. I'm so down with it all.

I went to the local council and they said yes this is all correct. That once a person starts earning 91.00 per week I lose all my housing benefits.

So on ESA SG I get nearly 100 pw. My rent is s530 p month. Even with my daughters income there won't be enough for food or heating.

Thanks all
    Flowers14

Hi Flowers,

Sorry to hear of the situation you are in. Others on here may have much more informed advice to offer you but I would strongly suggest contacting your local Citizens Advice Bureau as quickly as possible.

I believe housing benefits limits do vary so you may want to research your local limit. Could your local authority provide a discretionary housing payment? Will your son be helping with the household income?
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Quote Originally Posted by Flowers14 View Post
    Hello to All

I'm on ESA SG. My child decided to leave college at 18yrs. I told the goverment and my Child Ben stopped and so did my Child tax credit. I expected this.

What I didn't expect was to lose my housing benefits and have to pay a hefty Council tax bill this year.

Does anyone know if this Is right because I thought I just lost my child ben and child tax credits?
    If this is right it means I will be moving again but have worse health. This means I'll have to leave everything as I don't know barely anyone.

I've been treated very badly by the housing councils and assoc and they know I'm alone. They have done things to me in my home that is beyond right and beyond comprehension. Now I think they have reached their ultimate goal to get me evicted as that's the only way I can lose my home is rent arrears as Ive got a good lifes worth of good clean living. I'm so down with it all.

I went to the local council and they said yes this is all correct. That once a person starts earning 91.00 per week I lose all my housing benefits.

So on ESA SG I get nearly 100 pw. My rent is s530 p month. Even with my daughters income there won't be enough for food or heating.

Thanks all
    Flowers14
    You will not loose your home if your daughter is earning less than 126 pounds a week which according to you she is, then the most your council can deduct from your Housing Benefit is about 15 pounds a week. am guessing your rent might be about 100 pounds a week. Therefore stop panicking and go and see your CAB for reassurance. Whoever told you you'd loose all your Housing Benefit is a complete and utter idiot; take their name and report them. Good luck. Buster.

Generally, when a child becomes "non dependant" the housing benefit is reduced by 40%
    Do you receive ant DLA?
    You really do need to get a proper benefits check as the council tax could be incorrect(if you get DLA)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by buster21 View Post
    You will not loose your home if your daughter is earning less than 126 pounds a week which according to you she is, then the most your council can deduct from your Housing Benefit is about 15 pounds a week. am guessing your rent might be about 100 pounds a week. Therefore stop panicking and go and see your CAB for reassurance. Whoever told you you'd loose all your Housing Benefit is a complete and utter idiot; take their name and report them. Good luck. Buster.
    Thanks Buster but theyve already just taken it all away from me. Just like that and I have it on paper or I wouldn't panick. I'm already in housing and council tax debt because of them. BUT...I've just read that if your'e on ESA SUPPORT GROUP (that's me) then a person is exempt. They just read ESA not ESA Support group. I've contacted them and they are very nasty to me. These are horrible people at this council just horrible. Anyway she wrote another silly email (speaking to me like I'm thick). I replied nicely but stated at the very beginning...but I'm on ESA Support Group I thought I was exempt. Phew, I just wanted to give her a mouth full the silly cow Now my housing assoc have just wrote to me saying I'm on Rent arrears and to avoid court action they have proposed an agreement that I should agree to (charming nits). I've explained theres a hiccup with my housing and council tax bens and emailed them. Mind you theyre just as dense. Sorry I'm in a horrible mood as been typing and fighting my corner for 7 years now. They are just trying to evict me (they really are) because I have brains. I better go now before I say more of whats on my mind LOL LOL LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Flowers14 View Post
    Thanks Buster but theyve already just taken it all away from me. Just like that and I have it on paper or I wouldn't panick. I'm already in housing and council tax debt because of them. BUT...I've just read that if your'e on ESA SUPPORT GROUP (that's me) then a person is exempt. They just read ESA not ESA Support group. I've contacted them and they are very nasty to me. These are horrible people at this council just horrible. Anyway she wrote another silly email (speaking to me like I'm thick). I replied nicely but stated at the very beginning...but I'm on ESA Support Group I thought I was exempt. Phew, I just wanted to give her a mouth full the silly cow Now my housing assoc have just wrote to me saying I'm on Rent arrears and to avoid court action they have proposed an agreement that I should agree to (charming nits). I've explained theres a hiccup with my housing and council tax bens and emailed them. Mind you theyre just as dense. Sorry I'm in a horrible mood as been typing and fighting my corner for 7 years now. They are just trying to evict me (they really are) because I have brains. I better go now before I say more of whats on my mind LOL LOL LOL

Hello flowers14 which council do you come under? If you don't mind me asking? as each council as far as I know have a team within and part if their job is prevention of homelessness!! Benefit checks will be carried out to ensure everything you are entitled to you are getting. There are ways around this you really do need to request to speak to a manager within this team.

If for some reason your council do not have such a team ( which I'm sure they will) you need to contact 'The Citizens Advice Bureau' as you need someone who can liaise with the council on your behalf even if this means attending court. '
    How long has this been going on for 7 yrs?? As sometimes you feel that low you cannot face letters arriving or contact with the council then these things can get out of hand as you are not handling the situation as sometimes you need support from someone who knows the inside and out of the benefit system and the law! can assure you though this is not the end of the line of losing your home. You definitely need someone to contact on your behalf if this is how they are treating you. It makes my blood boil when people like yourselves get treated in this way. X hope you get sorted out soon

Hello Minnirodg
    Thank you for your reply you've given me hope. Yes i've had serious problems for 7 yrs and all paper work to go with it. I'm now losing the plot as my health is so bad. No physical strength, chronic fatigue and pains everywhere. They have seriously abused me. One time on a management move she deliberately moved me and my daufhter opposite a paedophile. She knew we was alone but played with our lives. So yes he made a B line for me and my daughter, it was awful as he groomed me to distrust my daufhter. it went to the police but council wouldn't do anything. Eventually I got a local councillor involved she got me another management move but they took away my Secure Tenancy this time. So now I have a 5 year assured tenancy. I had to pay for everything with both moves. This last move I haven't had the strength to even unpack properly. I've been here 2 years now. Ceo won't do anything about losing my Secure Tenancy. They've all just coveted each others backs. The ombudsman got my complaint wrong and refused to do anything. Must sleep now I'm shattered. Thanks for your thoughts and frustration for me. Lovely chatting to you X
    Flowers