Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Controlling Neuropathic Pain

Controlling Neuropathic Pain

Pain is the name of the game!

Lat night was the first night where I was able to sleep a good 7 hours without being woken by a jumping leg.

After my chiropractor cancelled our appointment I left a message with my GP to see what he considers best to mask pain.

His plan s to dose me with drugs that mask the symptoms rather that get to the root of the problem.

As I've lost the will to live so I agreed to medication. I've taken a pain killer normally taken by people with epilepsy but it also works for people who suffer from neuropathic pain - which is me. It's called 'Gabapentin' has anyone else tried it?

Yes I have and had dreadful side effects. After about 5 days of taking it my mouth became so sore and my tongue cracked and bled. I couldn't clean my teeth properly without the whole of my mouth stinging and bleeding. It took about 4 weeks after stopping it for everything to calm down.
    It is now listed as a drug I am allergic to.

Yes tried it - didn't help me. Funnily enough it was also recommended to me by my son - he's a Neuroscientist (Dr.) with a pharmacology degree - he wrote a note to my consultant (Pain Clinic). In fact I've worked my way through most of the drugs and what is left is just the Opiates etc which I'm reluctant to use as it would impair me for driving etc...

I tried topirimate,which is the same type of drug, but I couldnt tolerate it, made my speech worse than usual and made me very dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    I tried topirimate,which is the same type of drug, but I couldnt tolerate it, made my speech worse than usual and made me very dizzy
    Deebee....you mention topirimate I'm on the same tablet and have been since 2013 but I was prescribed it for headaches....I'm also aware it's used to treat epilepsy...can you tell me a little bit more about it if u have found it any use and side affects as your the only person I've heard on it ????

Wow I don't believe how bad a reaction every body has had.

The doctor wants me to take 100mg capsule 3 times a day and slowly increase the dosage to 200 mg a day three times a day.

I'm not really a pill taker so my plan is just to take a 100 mg capsule in the morning and again before bedtime - if I took as many as described I'd be like a zombie!

Chiropractors on Thursday and if that sorts out the sciatic pain down my leg I might put up with the other regular pain.

I was given it for nerve pain Blastoff,although it is an anti epilepsy drug
    I am extremely sensitive to medication and it made me very dizzy and my speech was very slurred on it
    I did read on here that the side effects settle down if you persevere, but I gave up
    Hope it works better for you

Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    I was given it for nerve pain Blastoff,although it is an anti epilepsy drug
    I am extremely sensitive to medication and it made me very dizzy and my speech was very slurred on it
    I did read on here that the side effects settle down if you persevere, but I gave up
    Hope it works better for you
    Thanks...I take 5mg twice a day and to be honest I feel little effect of it....I'm due to go to a pain clinic in May for a review so see what happens...thanks again

My wife has been taking Gabapentin at 3 x 100 mg per day. It has been described to us as a 'muscle relaxant' to relieve pain and stiffness caused by spasticity (my wife had a stroke and is left with paralysis in left arm and leg). Initially she did experience side effects but these have subsided with time. About a year ago one of my wife's consultants recommended upping the dose to 6 x 100mg per day we tried it and the side effects were horrendous including the types of symptons described by Beau. Have also tried Baclofen as an alternative but this sent my wife into a permanent sleep! Back on the original dose of Gabapentin now and things have settled down thank goodness. My wife's pain does seem to be quite well controlled now.

I think that others are correct and that Gabapentin is routinely prescribed for epilepsy.

Hope you get it sorted Lightouch.
    Caring is an art not a science

yes I take gapapentin. It doesn't eliminate my pain but it helps a bit. I dread to think what I'd be like without it. I take 600-900mg 3 times a day. I take it for neuropathic pain.

It's not the type of pain killer that works quickly - I believe the maximum benefit is felt approx. 3 hours after taking a dose - so you need to take it regularly in order to get any effect as opposed "as required"
    Last edited by catlover; 01-04-15 at 07:50.