Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Election

Election

So just wondered peoples own opinions on what party if they got into power would be of any help to disabled people, in areas such as benefits, work, housing and health care? I've listened to all the debates and know most views on nhs but i'm just not hearing anything in regard to helping the disabled population, maybe i'm just missing it but just wanted people who know what it's like to have disability issues to let me know their views thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freedomeagle View Post
    So just wondered peoples own opinions on what party if they got into power would be of any help to disabled people, in areas such as benefits, work, housing and health care? I've listened to all the debates and know most views on nhs but i'm just not hearing anything in regard to helping the disabled population, maybe i'm just missing it but just wanted people who know what it's like to have disability issues to let me know their views thanks
    I wouldn't waste your time mate. The vast majority of people on here just aren't interested or don't understand politics or how they might be affected by whoever is in office. On the one hand there are those on here who are think they are more deserving than others, they appear to have fallen in to a Tory trap; whereas, on the other hand, the others appear to be made up of incoherent ranters who don't have a clue that they are being lined up for treatment at the hands of a heartless Government, that will fundamentally change their lives for the worse for ever.

Buster

Buster, I kind of resent your sweeping statement with regard to the forum members.

You have pigeonholed all members into two groups, which I feel is unfair and a gross misrepresentation of the members. Your comments come across as very bullish and inflammatory.

To say that members either feel that they are "more deserving" or are "incoherent ranters" is rather offensive.

There may be a few that fall into these catagories, but the vast majority do not.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote Originally Posted by buster21 View Post
    I wouldn't waste your time mate. The vast majority of people on here just aren't interested or don't understand politics or how they might be affected by whoever is in office. On the one hand there are those on here who are think they are more deserving than others, they appear to have fallen in to a Tory trap; whereas, on the other hand, the others appear to be made up of incoherent ranters who don't have a clue that they are being lined up for treatment at the hands of a heartless Government, that will fundamentally change their lives for the worse for ever.

Buster
    This sort of post is one of the reasons why these political discussions go absolutely nowhere on here.

You could have given your opinion on what freedomeagle was asking about, instead you chose to insult everyone on here.

What is the point? Unless you just wanted to put people off posting on this thread?

It's fair enough to say that both main parties want to cut the welfare bill. Suspect labour might be a little less harsh in doing so. After all those at the bottom of the ladder are traditionally labour voters. It'd be foolish to do something to risk those votes.

Generally disabled people are likely to be above average users of the nhs so any commitment on nhs would be a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by freedomeagle View Post
    I find discussing matters of a political nature is 'personal' and will not discuss it in a forum. I know who I will be voting for - though if things change closer to the Election date, I may be swayed - but at this moment I know exactly which party will be getting my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by rich-ward View Post
    This sort of post is one of the reasons why these political discussions go absolutely nowhere on here.

You could have given your opinion on what freedomeagle was asking about, instead you chose to insult everyone on here.

What is the point? Unless you just wanted to put people off posting on this thread?
    My point is my friend - I have tried and tried on numerous occasions to encourage political and social debate in these forums, however, it has proved to be a complete and utter waste of time (how ironic people are expressing opinions all of a suden). Consequently, I have come to the conclusion, the vast majority of people who use this forum present as being not interested, in denial, or chirpy confused unsuspecting victims of a Tory and mass media led attack on their already fragile lifestyles.

I fear this is still the case even now on this forum - even after the widely known Conservatives intentions to hit the disabled and other vulnerable groups has now been made absolutely crystal clear - due to leaked documents and a refusal by the Prime Minister to rule out such outrageous action, only a few days ago. It seems to me, the onslaught will be sustained with no chance of abating - under a Conservative led government. Do people on here care about this or even have an opinion about this - apparently not - I for one can't hear any noises whatsoever being said about this - not even by future victims being lined up like sitting ducks. This is my point, worrying indeed for someone who cares passionately about Social Justice and doing the right thing.

Buster
    I find this fairly dismissive of people on this forum, their views and their opinions. Hardly respectful.

Anyway, back to the original question. Labour, and the SNP, have stated they would remove the 'bedroom' tax. Lib Dems , and the Tories I think, have stated they would increasing spending on mental health.

However, to be honest I don't think we'll hear much specifically directed at those with disabilities. Although, that does not mean parties have no policies which will impact disabled people. Changes to the NHS, transport investment, education, and tax impact all regardless of disability.

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if all parties do mention some limited movement on help for carers, or research on specific conditions.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Buster
    I think is is quite ignorant. I have a very good understanding of politics and I am interested. I don't, however, get into political debates. I am in neither of your judgemental categories, thank you very much.

Just because some don't wish to engage in political debate on this forum does not mean they are not interested in or don't understand politics.