Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 101

Thread: Election

  1. #81
    Senior Member AmyS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,096
    Well my vote has been cast - surprised as there was actually a queue. Last time only five (Yes 5) people turned up to my local Polling Station.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Let's face it, once a party gets in control they do just what they want regardless of their manifesto.
    In my opinion they are all tarred with the same brush.
    Beau I very much share your opinion!! I saw this 'joke' the other day, which I found quite funny but unfortunately, probably rather apt:
    Politician decides between Heaven and Hell – While walking down the street one day, a corrupt politician is tragically hit by a truck and dies. His soul arrives in heaven and is met by St. Peter at the entrance.

    “Welcome to Heaven,” says St. Peter. “Before you settle in, it seems there is a problem. We seldom see a politician around these parts, you see, so we’re not sure what to do with you.”

    “No problem, just let me in.” says the politician.

    “Well, I’d like to but I have orders from higher up. What we’ll do is have you spend one day in Hell and one in Heaven. Then you can choose where to spend eternity.”

    “Really, I’ve made up my mind. I want to be in Heaven,” says the politician.

    “I’m sorry but we have our rules.” And with that, St. Peter escorts the politician to the elevator and he goes down, down, down to Hell. The doors open and he finds himself in the middle of a green golf course. In the distance is a club and standing in front of it are all his friends and other politicians who had worked with him, everyone is very happy and in evening dress. They run to greet him, hug him, and reminisce about the good times they had while getting rich at expense of the people. They play a friendly game of golf and then dine on lobster and caviar. Also present is the Devil, who really is a very friendly guy who has a good time dancing and telling jokes.

    They are having such a good time that, before he realizes it, it is time to go. Everyone gives him a big hug and waves while the elevator
    rises. The elevator goes up, up, up and the door reopens on Heaven where St. Peter is waiting for him.

    “Now it’s time to visit Heaven.” So 24 hours pass with the politician joining a group of contented souls moving from cloud to cloud, playing the harp and singing. They have a good time and, before he realizes it, the 24 hours have gone by and St. Peter returns.

    “Well then, you’ve spent a day in Hell and another in Heaven. Now choose your eternity.”

    He reflects for a minute, then the head of state answers: “Well, I would never have thought it, I mean Heaven has been delightful, but I think I would be better off in Hell.”

    So Saint Peter escorts him to the elevator and he goes down, down, down to Hell. Now the doors of the elevator open and he is in the middle of a barren land covered with waste and garbage. He sees all his friends, dressed in rags, picking up the trash and putting it in black bags. The Devil comes over to the politician and lays an arm on his neck.

    “I don’t understand,” stammers the politician. Yesterday I was here and there was a golf course and club and we ate lobster and caviar and danced and had a great time. Now all there is a wasteland full of garbage and my friends look miserable.

    The Devil looks at him, smiles and says, “Yesterday we were campaigning. Today you voted for us!”

  3. #83
    vikstar
    Guest
    For any night owls who are planning to stay up for the results, here are the expected times of declarations for all the constituencies.

    http://election.pressassociation.com...15_by_time.php

    Here are the key existing DWP and Justice candidates by party and constituency that you might want to keep an eye out for.

  4. #84
    vikstar
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vikstar View Post
    For any night owls who are planning to stay up for the results, here are the expected times of declarations for all the constituencies.

    http://election.pressassociation.com...15_by_time.php

    Here are the key existing DWP and Justice candidates by party and constituency that you might want to keep an eye out for.
    Sorry to say that IDS's seat in Chingford (Norman "get on ye bike" Tebbit's old constituency) looks safe with an existing majority of 12,963.

    However, Esther (ex second rate failed TV presenter) McVey's seat in Wirral West looks to be unsafe with a majority of 2,436.

    If we can't see IDS humiliated, "she" will have to do !

  5. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    It's always good to see people thinking ahead.

    There's nothing like wanting to vote but disabling barriers prevent you from using the venue.

    So this is fully inclusive design polling venue aimed at letting disabled people have their say . . . or not

    Attachment 1286
    That is terrible and totally unacceptable. Its not as if the local council didn't now the date of the election for years.

    Apparently the Electoral Commission issues guidelines and a checklist but they are just guidelines. A voter is suing Kingston Council for breaching his human rights when he couldn't access his polling station last year.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

  6. #86
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    8,841
    Well my voting experience today has got me thinking.

    I knew that we had three votes in my area today; it plainly says at the top left of my Poll card:

    Election of Mayor for ******** Borough Council.
    Election of Councillors to ******** Borough Council - ******** South Ward.
    Election of a Memeber of Parliament for the ******** Constituency.


    But when I got to the poll station I was suprised to be given FOUR voting papers.
    Talking to others this evening I was not the only one to be suprised by this.

    The extra ballot was for the election of local parish councillors.

    I am not sure that this is legal.
    OK, its only the parish council but the papers were given at the same time as the other three making it part of the official process.
    I had not seen any announcement of this poll (neither had others I have spoken to) and it is defininitley not on the poll cards issued.

    Which begs the question - as it is not on the polling notification then is this poll legal?
    If it is not then does that fact invalidate the other three notified polls caried out at the same time?

    Could be a real mess if this un-notifed poll cancels out the others.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  7. #87
    Senior Member Lighttouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    3,800
    Well, having watched the TV for an hour after the results are in for two seats.

    The exit polls based on 22,000 voters say the Conservatives will get 312seats and win with a minority government.

    They will need to form a Coalition government to gain 326 seats. As the exit poll only give the Liberal Democrats 10 seats they may need to form alliances with a third party to get a majority in order to pass legislation in parliament.

    In my view, I still can't predict the final outcome so I'm hitting the sack.

    I'm sure that we'll have a better picture in the morning!

  8. #88
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    Posts
    8,841

    Standing up for his beliefs?

    Its well past 10 o'clock so I thought I would share this.
    Spelling - its not hard, or is it?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	erection.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	1287

    P.S. that has not been photoshopped, it is a genuine poster.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/steerpi...mes-duddridge/
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-05-15 at 05:43.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  9. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,782
    Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Well my voting experience today has got me thinking.

    I knew that we had three votes in my area today; it plainly says at the top left of my Poll card:

    Election of Mayor for ******** Borough Council.
    Election of Councillors to ******** Borough Council - ******** South Ward.
    Election of a Memeber of Parliament for the ******** Constituency.


    But when I got to the poll station I was suprised to be given FOUR voting papers.
    Talking to others this evening I was not the only one to be suprised by this.

    The extra ballot was for the election of local parish councillors.

    I am not sure that this is legal.
    OK, its only the parish council but the papers were given at the same time as the other three making it part of the official process.
    I had not seen any announcement of this poll (neither had others I have spoken to) and it is defininitley not on the poll cards issued.

    Which begs the question - as it is not on the polling notification then is this poll legal?
    If it is not then does that fact invalidate the other three notified polls caried out at the same time?

    Could be a real mess if this un-notifed poll cancels out the others.
    Hello Nuke,
    I think you'll find the election/institution of either a 'Parish' or 'Town' Council, they are one and the same, is treated as something of an optional extra/ not 'Statutory', as the others are. You can check out your 'Parish' Or 'Town' boundaries at either your local Church (C of E) or Council Offices.
    Where I live some of the 'Towns' have a Council and some don't, where we don't council tax is significantly cheaper, but we all come under the same 'Borough' (one MP).
    Last edited by Jard; 08-05-15 at 00:16.

  10. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    1,483
    Quote Originally Posted by vantage View Post
    That is terrible and totally unacceptable. Its not as if the local council didn't now the date of the election for years.

    Apparently the Electoral Commission issues guidelines and a checklist but they are just guidelines. A voter is suing Kingston Council for breaching his human rights when he couldn't access his polling station last year.
    I don't know @ you vantage but postal voting is alive and well in Telford. If you have any disabilities, why not register for it? Its pretty darn easy.

Similar Threads

  1. How disabled could affect the outcome of the next election
    By tinytim in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29-01-15, 11:50
  2. Disabled, Standing for election, or wanting to – you can get help
    By Paul in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-01-13, 17:34
  3. I.D.S Planning to hit pensioners benefits in next election
    By mikeydt1 in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-13, 15:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •