Thread: Severe Disability Premium, Is backpay due if application form is delayed

Severe Disability Premium, Is backpay due if application form is delayed

Hi, a relative recently was awarded higher rate care and lower rate mobility on a recent PIP application. They are also on the ESA support group. Because of this an application form arrived through the post for Severe Disability premium. this has not been filled in yet because somebody applied for carers allowance in order to spport this individual. It looks like this care allowance application is going to be refused due to carers income being a bit too high.

So my relative now wants to go forward with the severe disability premium application which they are entitled to. My queston is. When the application is accepted will the severe disability premium be backpayable from the initial PIP decision which gave my relative the right to claim it or will the severe disability premium be payable from the date when they receive the form?

Any information would be helpful.

mine was awarded and backpayable from the initial PIP decision

Thanks for your answer Gentlegiant.