Thread: Rollators/Walkers

Rollators/Walkers

Hi all

I currently use a walking stick and also need to use a wheelchair when I am at my worst. (attendant type).

I am having more and more difficulty in just using my stick and do not want to have to use my wheelchair all the time. I want to remain as independant as possible for as long as I can and not rely on my partner to push me around in my chair all the time.
    I have bad problems walking, (due to pain, back problems, arthritis etc) but also have arthritis and carpal tunnel in my hands. This means I cannot self propel a chair and also unable to use 2 sticks or crutches as my left hand has very little strength or grip at all, (my right hand is not as bad).

I am wondering if a Rollator/Walker might be a solution? I am thinking that with a Rollator walker my body weight might be distributed better taking pressure of my hip, knees and back. But would my hand strength and grip mean I would not be able to use one? I was thinking of the type with a seat, so when I am out, it would mean I could take frequent rests.

Has anyone with similar problems had experience of using a Rollator/walker?

I am willing to buy one myself, but would need to borrow or hire one for a week or two to see how I got on before making a purchase. Does anyone know of a way I can do this, (a bit like "try before you buy" scheme).

Thanks in advance for any input/advice.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Don't think a walker would be suitable because of your wrists. I hold myself stable with mine and it takes a great deal of upper body strength. You also need to be able to pull the brakes on, like bike brakes. With carpel tunnel it would be painful.

You sound like you have similar problems to me. I walk using one crutch but that good hand now has carpal tunnel syndrome due to crushing nerves. Like you I can't use a manual wheelchair and have just ordered a manual wheelchair that will have a bolt on engine added.

No harm in trying this out http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lightweigh...34687246&rt=nc

Thanks for the feedback.

Beau, I think you could be right with regard to my hands/wrists. Also, I do not have a great deal of upper body strength, so not much good on that front.

Thanks for the link LT. I had a look and it does look a good one, but as Beau says, maybe a Rollator/walker not a good idea for me.

I am going to try and see my GP this week about a couple of problems. Whilst I am there, I think I will request a referral for a full Social care/OT assessment. I am well overdue for this. I have left it a while as my bungalow has most of the adaptations I need, but now my walking/moving around has got so bad, maybe an assessment is required.

Hopefully they may have some solutions to suggest.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Hi babyblu64

I do pretty much the same only use a wheelchair when I have to - also attendant type. Also have osteoarthritis in wrists/hands and carpel tunnel in both.

Previously considered a Walker/Rollator.

Been to Hand Therapist in the physio department and have two night wrist/hand braces and two day braces. With these day braces - it has made it a little more comfortable to use walking sticks - I've a selection of walking sticks with the moulded handles.

Have you asked your consultants to refer you to a Hand Therapist?

I don't think I would get on with the Rollator and I've noticed when people use them they lean over it, which I'm not sure is particularly good for the spine? Or am I being weird saying that?

Amy, yes people do tend to lean over them. You have to make a conscious effort not to do that as you are asking for real back problems. If they are adjusted correctly there is no need to lean. Like pushing a pram really.
    I have been using one for about 11 years now, since my early 50's, and always try to walk as upright as possible but I have to hold myself up on it so I don't fall over. Plays havoc with hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders.

Beau

I'm quite tall (the shorty in the family), 5ft 8in and then add my boots with orthopaedic insoles etc, thick socks, makes me about 5ft 10in - the last thing I need is adding stress/strain to my lower back.

Thanks for clarify that Beau.

Amy, it is very difficult to get a rollator to accommodate taller people. Usually the bariatric ones adjust higher but not that high. I know of a couple of men who have them and they are 6', and I can't remember which ones they have but they still have to stoop.
    Do you realise they are also weight limited, that is no offence as I don't know your weight, but just making a point.

Thanks Beau - it's the height I'm worried about.

Returning back to babyblue64 - have you ever tried one? Was thinking if you went to a shop that supplies them, ask them to adjust it, wander round the shop. Think about it and then decide. If need be, go several times, especially on a 'worse' type day - nothing better than seeing how you would manage when you are having a bad day. Then once decided - shop around, lighttouch's link showed a really good price.