Thread: ESA WRAG and Work Programme - What to expect?

Question ESA WRAG and Work Programme - What to expect?

I was just wondering what to expect for a first meeting on the Work Programme with Ingeus for my husband who has severe social phobia and depression? Bit concerned it will result in courses/work related activity he's not ready yet, though I know that as the rules go, he can't be made to do something unreasonable to his circumstances. I have to go with him as he finds it difficult to communicate. We also have a 15 month old daughter. I'm a bit worried we might be coerced into putting her with a childminder in order for my husband to do this programme!

I'm aware there are rules Ingeus have to follow, but not convinced they really do with all the stories that crop up in the media.

I suspect my brain is going into overdrive because of my anxiety disorder (and it's in recovery mode )

I wrote a blog about my experiences of the work programme as an ESA WRAG claimant.
    You can find it here (click on the blue text)
    http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...Work-Programme

Bear with it - it starts a bit slow because I was asking if others had experience, but goes on to give my experiences from the start and my overall impressions.

Hope it is of some help.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    I wrote a blog about my experiences of the work programme as an ESA WRAG claimant.
    You can find it here (click on the blue text)
    http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...Work-Programme

Bear with it - it starts a bit slow because I was asking if others had experience, but goes on to give my experiences from the start and my overall impressions.

Hope it is of some help.
    Thanks, it was useful. Will let you know how it goes on Monday.

Hi ghostlyaspects, just thought I'd give you my views. I've been on the work programme with ingeus for just over a year, my last appointment with then is in May. The advisers are great and very friendly, they never asked me to do anything I didn't want to and we're very accommodating in me taking someone with me as I also suffer from social anxiety and depression.

Each session we sat down and had to do an action plan which was just 3 or 4 things you would like to work on before the next appointment. Mine included things like exercising more or trying to increase my confidence. Then at the next session you review the last action plan and make a new one. My advisors told me that if I didn't do one of the points it was fine and just do what I could manage. There was never any mention of jobs and my advisor said this was because it's a health programme but the letters they send out have to say it's a work programme. I doubt you will need a child minder for your daughter as each appointment is only 30 mins to an hour long. You can also claim back your expenses for travel.

Only negatives for me were that even though I stated at the start I find it difficult to talk to new people, I had a new advisor every appointment which was very stressful. Also if your husband is like me and can't talk on the phone, if you miss an appointment without ringing ingeus then you get sanctioned. I had to get my mum to ring and cancel for me. Apart from that it was all a good experience and they offered to get me into weight watchers and swimming/gym for free if I wanted and helped me learn relaxation techniques. Hope this helps you to not worry about it and I wish you and your husband luck

Hi,
    I am going through exactly the same as you at the moment with my relative. My relative started to receive quite a few 'hounding' letters & phone calls. I have intervened and basically stopped this - please do not let anyone at Ingus push your partner into becoming ill - you must tell them if they are going too far. I appreciate that these interviews have to take place - if at any time your partner becomes uncomfortable tell them and politely inform them your partner is not feeling well if this is the case - you cannot risk an exacerbation of your partners illness.

At the end of the day you partner is 'ill' and awarded ESA. Your partner has turned up as required - they cannot sanction you for turning up to the appointment as required. If Ingeus push for some activity your partner is not comfortable with inform them and tell them what you 'WILL' do that your partner is comfortable with - do not allow anyone to make your partner ill - your partner & you must rule that one. At the end of the day it is you that will end up picking up the pieces - INGEUS will go home at 5pm.

Hope this helps.

I care. Kate

The warning about Work Programme sanctions is a very good point.

If you miss a Work Programme appointment, without telling them first you won't make it, then they HAVE to raise a "Compliance Concern" (form WP08) with the DWP.
    They have no choice on this they HAVE to do it.

A recent review by the Government Select Committee on works and pensions of how sanctions work recommended that the WP provider be given more leeway on this, so that if they could see that there was good cause for not attending then they could just note it rather than informing the DWP.
    http://www.publications.parliament.u.../814/81402.htm
    I don't think that this has been implemented yet.

In my two years on the work programme I got sanctioned once. Luckily I knew what the rules were and got it overturned before loosing any benefits.
    You can read about my sanction experience here:
    http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...ramme-sanction
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.