Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 is here (nearly) and its FREE

Windows 10 is here

So I ran windows updates last night and got a new 'windows' icon in the system tray, bottom right of the screen.

I'm sure others will have got this or will get it in the next few days.
    You need to have Windows Update set to Automatic Updates or to Notify.

Hovering the pointer over it - the tool tip shows "Get Windows 10".
    It should actually say Reserve Windows 10 because thats what its asking you to do.

In case you dont know Microsoft have announced that Windows 10 will be released on 29th July, upgrades from home editions of Windows7 and Windows8.1 will be FREE.
    (If you have Windows8 then get a free upgrade to Windows8.1 and then you will get this offer too http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...ows-8-tutorial).

It seems that its just Windows7(SP1), and Windows8.1* users who are getting sent this notice at the moment, and all it seems to be doing is running a check to see your system is compatible and then asking you to pre-register for the upgrade.

So I registered, (to try and stop it nagging me until the 29th July release).
    This means that it will download automatically when released and then I can choose when to install it.
    (I can cancel the registration if I change my mind).

Question is when Windows 10 does get released should you install it straight away or wait a month or two?

The last few releases of Windows, before windows 8.1, were a bit of a mess with bug fix after bug fix needed in the first few months.
    (Apple iOS releases have been just as bad if not worse).
    General advice for non-techies was always to wait a few months before getting the new version.

With Windows 10 though they have done things a bit differently.

There has been a version of Windows 10 available for about the last year, known as the 'Technical Preview'.
    This has been given out to thousands of techie people and large users to test (beta testing) and report any issues found so that they can be fixed before it is released to the general public
    This should mean that there are no problems with the general release.

However I for one, and I suspect everone who knows how to, will be making a full backup of my Windows 8.1 so I can reinstall that if Windows 10 does have problems.
    (Although windows8 was bad, I've come to like 8.1)

To learn more about Windows 10 (or 8.1) click here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/features
    Last edited by nukecad; 08-20-2016 at 07:55 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I was chatting to an IT bloke at work who came to install my new PC, with Windows 7! He said my organisation is not happy with security of anything more recent. Apparently lots of bank systems use even older versions (he seemed to saying ATM's, etc) as they trust the security more.

I've really no idea if he's right or not, and am happy to use whatever they want me to. Just liked the idea of using something newer and being a bit more up to date!

Ps nice to think about you with a fully functioning laptop Nuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
    I was chatting to an IT bloke at work who came to install my new PC, with Windows 7! He said my organisation is not happy with security of anything more recent. Apparently lots of bank systems use even older versions (he seemed to saying ATM's, etc) as they trust the security more.

I've really no idea if he's right or not, and am happy to use whatever they want me to. Just liked the idea of using something newer and being a bit more up to date!
    This is a known bit of a missconception - because of a stupid naming decision by Microsoft.

Windows 7 and before had a application called 'Windows Defender' which was just anti-spyware (checked that nobody was recording which websites you visited).
    There was also 'Microsoft Security Essentials' which was an anti-virus / anti-malware suite.

With windows 8 and 8.1 (and presumably 10) Microsoft put both programmes together and just called the new programme 'Windows Defender' (same name as the old anti-spyware).

This led some people who hadn't realised the programmes had been merged to shout that 'Microsoft Security Essentials' had been dropped and so you computer was not as secure.

A lot of people still don't realise that with Windows 8 and 8.1 'Windows Defender' is now a full anti-virus programme - you don't need to install (or pay for) any other anti virus (AVG, Avast, McAfee, Kapersky, Norton, etc).
    You can do if you want to, but there is no real need.

My techie friends and myself let Defender take care of day to day protection on Windows 8+ with an extra scan when it asks for one.
    Don't just leave it at that though, once a week we run scans with other products (different ones are better at finding different things).
    Everybody should have and use the most popular three (all FREE):

CrapCleaner - not an anti-virus; clears out cookies, temporary files, and other stuff you dont need.
    Run it before shut down - takes minutes, or run if you have been on line for a number of hours and things slow down.
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

SuperAntiSpyware - checks your system for any nasties that are trying to track what you are doing, steal your passwords, steal your personal info, etc.
    Run it once a week - takes between 20min and 2-3 hours depending on what you have on your hard drive.
    http://www.superantispyware.com/

Malwarebytes AntiMalware - Definitely use this - Checks for all kinds of nasties and unwanted stuff that tries to take over your computer.
    Run it once a week - can take up to a couple of hours depending on what you have on your hard drive.
    https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-02-2015 at 08:25 PM.

Well, security is never an issue with Mac system software as security is built in.

https://www.apple.com/osx/what-is/security/

Also all Apps in iTunes are vetted and added after vetting. Unfortunately for Window users anyone can submit Apps for Android devices that may even include viruses/trogan horses.

Hackers tend to target Microsoft and Windows with viruses - they can't be bothered to target Apple software. I used to sit near an IT guy who sorted out IT issues for the whole company. I asked him what computer he used at home - he had all Apple products - enough said.

Fliss, if you are looking for a first generation Apple iMac 24 inch aluminium beast let me know.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=apple+imac+24

Be careful with saying 'never'. Thats the way to get caught out.

Both MACs and Windows have built in security, this has got better on Windows with the new 'Windows Defender' mentioned above now being built into the win 8.** OS.

Apple used to like to have you believe that MACs 'never' get a virus, but they do have their own malware and Apple admit this nowadays.
    This is a good resource on MAC malware.
    http://www.thesafemac.com/mmg/

MACs don't get targeted as much as Windows systems do.

The reason is simple - there are more Windows systems out there than there are MACs.
    So virus / malware writers go for the bigger target.

Of course the more people who get a MAC the more tempting the target becomes.

If you want to beef up your MACs protection:
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-ant...ew-2588-6.html

Good choice Raspberry Ripple you won't go far wrong with that.

My lodger has a Windows laptop and what I wasn't aware of was how long it takes for a PC to boot up from scratch. A Mac takes less than 60 seconds before you can use it.

My lodger turns her PC on then has the time to prepare tea then eat it before the PC can be used.

Touch wood, I've not experienced any viruses as I keep my system software up to date with free patches.

Presently on OS X Yosemite version 10.10.2

I wouldn't be surprised if a new version is released in October this year.

My concern would be the performance impact running the newer windows 10 would have on my entry level windows 7 PC. This thing isn't exactly top of the range and newer software generally has higher system requirements.

As I seem to be the first to get this notification it seems as if I am pushing it.
    Not so I am just sharing what I have found.
    As I noted above I will be making a full copy of my current windows 8.1 before installing 10, so that I can restore 8.1 if I don't like it.

As for boot times, and restart times, that was one issue tackled with Windows 8.
    My old laptop with XP used to take around 60 secs to boot, and 20-30 to wake from sleep.
    My new 8.1 laptop boots from cold to the desktop (or metro UI screen) in about 15 seconds, and 5 of that is the time it takes for me to type my password.
    To restart from sleep takes less than 1/2 second, they particularly optimised this to be comparable with a smartphone wake up, press the button and its there.

Carl if you are running Windows 7 then Windows 10 should be fine if not faster.
    see below for the spec needed, even an entry level PC will have that.

Windows 10 overview- what t looks like:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/features

FAQ
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windo...earnMore_win10

Specification needed
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windo...specifications
    Last edited by nukecad; 06-03-2015 at 03:29 PM.

It's not always a good thing to upgrade to the newest operating system. Those that do are known as 'early adopters'. The downside is that the software has been launched too early and lots of bugs haven't been sorted out.

If your machine is four or five years old there might be clashes between old software and your new software. Your computer may lack memory and slow down. If you can upgrade the memory as this is easy to do and cheap.

By the time your machine gets to 4 or 5 years old the chip or processor will be well out of date for heavy 'number crunching'.