Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 is here (nearly) and its FREE

I am doubtful about downloading Win 10 because when I upgraded to Win 8.1 there was no software update to download for my printer and there still isn't. I had to buy a new printer. I don't want the same thing to happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    It's not always a good thing to upgrade to the newest operating system. Those that do are known as 'early adopters'. The downside is that the software has been launched too early and lots of bugs haven't been sorted out.
    Agree with this totally, there have been some major problems with new launches in the past.

MS do seem to have learned though and as I said before the have a 'Technical Preview' version of Win10 out in the wider community for a year or so. (Anybody could get one to play with and test, not just the usual beta testers).

Hopefully these were the 'early adopters' and most of the compatibility issues will have been found and solved before the general release.
    The same should go for printer drivers, etc. The manufacturers have had access to Win10 and have had plenty of time to update their drivers, although you may have to download the latest version.

Again though I have made a 'mirrior image' backup of my current system just in case.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I have windows 2003. windows 7 was complete DI-AST-ER dahlings! Open Office is free, but windows ain't free if you gotta have Windows 7 in first place!!!

Build 10145 is a version of the 'Technical Preview' of Windows 10, it is not the 'final' general release to the public.

10145 is being offered to those who already have the Technical Preview installed, not to the general public.

Having said that with the 29th July general release date so close, build 10145 should not be far off the finished version.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Build 10145 is a version of the 'Technical Preview' of Windows 10, it is not the 'final' general release to the public.

10145 is being offered to those who already have the Technical Preview installed, not to the general public.

Having said that with the 29th July general release date so close, build 10145 should not be far off the finished version.
    I am running Win 10 tech preview with another ISO waiting in a USB stick when I get round to building my next Kabini, got all the bits just got to get round to it.
    Also have 2 copies of W7 Pro 64, one unused yet and running one.
    I like Win 7, never got tempted by iterations of 8, bit of a wrong turn for MS by most accounts.
    Win 10 is quite different to 7 but not in a bad way, just a bit of a learning curve....It is more intuitive, better with hardware, fast and very well specced. Got the luxury of getting used to 10 while having 7 to fall back on.
    If you upgrade to 10 from 7 or 8 you can always "rollback" if you wish, but I recommend getting used to it...
    Windows 10 is different to other versions, no updating when you want to turn off, its happening constantly in the background.
    I will use 10 and 7 alongside each other for a while, but eventually support will cease for 7 and 8 and it would be risky for non-savvy users to continue with them after that, unless staying offline.
    In my opinion 10 is the best move MS have made for a while. and with very little effort it can be had at zero cost.

Only a week to go - maybe??

So here's a bit more on the Windows 10 upgrade.

As said before the official Windows 10 release date is 29 July but don't be surprised if you don't get it on that date.

It is being released in 'waves'.
    What this means is that those who have been testing it for the last year or so will get the first full versions.
    Followed by those who have pre-registered by the 'Get Windows 10' pop-up.
    Probably it will also be rolled out to newer built machines before older builds, thats part of what the pre-registration was about, checking what hardware is in your computer.

If you have pre-registered you will already have received some of the Windows 10 components.
    They have been downloading them by way of the Windows Updates for a while.
    This is so when the final parts are released to you it won't take as long to download and install, a lot of it is already on your machine.

If you haven't already done so you should back up your data files and make 'Recovery Media' now; Just in case something goes wrong with your upgrade.

You should always make backups of your data files, letters, pictures, etc. anyway, I put mine on a memory stick, you could do this or if you trust the cloud then copy them to cloud storage.

It is also a good idea to make a recovery drive (CD or USB) for your current system.
    Again you should already have done this when you first bought your computer, in case it crashes or gets heavily virused, so you can reinstall to operating system completely.
    Some may have got 'recovery discs' when buying their PC, but manufacturers save costs by not making these and so you probably didn't, you have to make your own.

This article explains how to make recovery drives for Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers.
    http://www.theexaminer.com/features/...-7-or-8-system
    One thing it doesn't tell you there is that with Windows 8.1 the drive needs to be a USB flash drive (Memory stick) not CDs.
    This is because most new laptops, and all tablets, don't have a CD drive anyway.

My Windows 8.1 needed a 16Gb memory stick for the recovery drive because I copied the recovery partition from the hard drive.
    You can make a recovery drive without this partition (leave it on the hard drive) this will take a 1/2Gb stick.

A few common questions; you can find many more here- http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windo...nMore_win10faq
    or here- http://www.theguardian.com/technology/windows-10

Will it leave my existing programmes and data in place?
    Yes; All your existing software should remain in place and should continue to work, with a few exceptions.
    (Some things that will go are Windows Media Centre (obsolete) and some Windows 7 'gadgets' and games (Solitaire, Hearts, etc)).
    However, upgrades sometimes go wrong, so its best to make a back-up your PC first.

If I don't like Windows 10 can I go back to my current windows version?
    Yes, Microsoft say that there will be a 'roll back' option; this is usually available for 30 days after installing a new version.
    Again though I would not rely on this alone; make a recovery drive and back up your data.

Do I have to install Windows 10.
    No, nobody is forcing you to.
    If you have already registered and now want to cancel:
    Right click on the white 'Get Windows 10' icon in you taskbar.
    Click on 'Check your upgrade status'.
    In the box that opens click on 'Cancel Reservation'

Why are Microsoft giving it for free?
    There is the oficial answer and the unofficial answer.
    Some say it's by way of an apology because they made such a mess of Windows 8.
    Its much more likley to be an attempt to get everybody using the same version rather than the current situation where there are people using XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and windows phone.
    If they can get all windows users (1.6 billion users) using the same version this creates a bigger market and makes things easier for both Microsoft and for third party software developers.
    Those who can't get a free upgrade (XP, Vista) will be able to buy it fairly cheaply.

No doubt Windows will be playing catch up with MAC OS system software.

A new version called 'OSX El Capitan' will be launched in September http://www.apple.com/uk/osx/elcapitan-preview/

I'm sure it will be free too. Be sure to back-up your work before any upgrade. Also be warned - if you have an old PC new system software may slow it down unless you can increase the RAM / memory.

Well there are already reports online that Windows 10 is being rolled out in places where it is already the 29th.

First reports were from China, some coming in from India and now from Eastern Europe.

Remember these will be the 'insiders' who have been running the Technical Preview (testing) version, it will take longer to be available for the rest of us, maybe even a few days.

Ah! just got a pop-up alert that there is an update available from Microsoft, seems a bit early but it just may be the Win 10 download.

EDIT
    Aparently not, just said it was a definition update for Defender.
    However it did add/update some files in the folder where Windows Updater has been downloading bits of Win10 for the last month or so.
    Last edited by nukecad; 07-28-2015 at 11:44 PM.

Took a days wait but just got the pop-up to download and install Win 10.

I'm all backed up, so I think I'll double check on line that there have been no big problems showing up, and then go for it.
    Not seen reports of any problems yet; apart from the download itself stopping because of a break in connection.

I'm back again - now on Windows 10.

Everything with the update has gone very smoothly with no problems at all except perhaps for the time it's taken.

Been a bit of a long process, probably because of my slow(ish) internet connection, only average 2 to 5 Mbps here.
    May not be just my slow connection, I believe that the downloads are 'throtted down' a bit this week to avoid swamping the internet bandwidth.
    It will probably be faster to do if you leave it for a week or so before upgrading and let the big rush calm down.

There are still some things I will want to look at in the default settings etc., but I don't envisage any great problems.

The first thing I have done is come here and all seems the same.

Having a quick look around and of course things are a bit new, new icons and so on, but most seems fairly intuitive.
    I reckon that if you are used to Win 7, Win 8.1, or even XP then it's going to be no problem to get going with Win 10.

So quick report is that all my installed programmes/apps remained, none of my data (letters, text files, photos) has been lost.
    All my bookmarks and favourites are still here in my browser.

All in all a sucessfull and painless process.