Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 is here (nearly) and its FREE

Nukecad and others may find this link very useful on all things win 10 http://www.tenforums.com/

Cheers joss, I'll take a look at that later.

I have had no real problems at all with Windows 10.

Only had one occasion when after the large Cumulative Update, KB3081424, I couldn't enter my Microsoft password when starting the laptop from cold.
    I just held down the power button for ten seconds to switch off fully again.
    Powered up again, and after a slower than usual startup all came up normally and I was able to log on.

I've been keeping an eye on things and there have been some installation problems reported, but when you look closley they tend to be the same three issues.

1. People who tried to jump the gun and manually download and install before getting the official notification from Microsoft. So they had missing files, missing updates, or incompatible hardware/software.
    2. People who downloaded and installed OK, but then made a media disk and used this to do a 'clean install' report that this 'clean install' has problems booting and they have to download and install again. (These also seem to be upgrading from Win7 not Win8).
    3. Some laptops with SSDs are giving a 'Missing Operating System' error after the install.

All three of those are not something that would affect the everyday user, except if you have a SSD (Solid State Drive) in your laptop.

Once installed the only real problem I have seen reported is with nvidia graphic cards, usually on high end gaming machines, often using multi screens and more than one graphics card mounted.
    Again not exactly an everyday setup.

Most of the rest that is being shouted about tends to be niggles about Automatic Updating and/or Privacy settings from the anti Big Brother crowd - not real functional problems at all.

When you think about all the different system builds, some brand new some 10 or even 15 years old, that are out there then there are bound to be some issues with a mass release of this magnitude.

My impression is that its gone prety well up to now.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Beware some of the "FREE" versions of Windows 10 are only free for one year, (mainly OEM versions, ones that come with your computer and you haven't purchased "legally") you will then need to buy a licence to continue use, much the way Microsoft Office can now be purchased on a annual renewal fee, which Microsoft seem to be moving towards except for Industry. Although most commercial concerns will stick with W7 as it is far better than either W8 all versions and the new V10. Many commercial users have already confirmed they won't be updating, sticking with W7 or other Pro versions etc. Microsoft have lost many customers, mainly business users to Apple.

Windows 7 will continue to receive support, Windows 8.1 will not!

The following is from part of article from PC Pro and Forbes in the USA who go into much more detail. Incidentally this is reputably the last version ever of Windows according to Microsoft via their MSCE newsletter.

The full list is as follows:
    • If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate , Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
    • Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
    • Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
    • Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
    • Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
    • If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer’s website.
    • If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.

The most high profile removals are Windows Media Center, desktop gadgets and native driver support for USB floppy drives, but the one that should really catch your eye is how desktop updates will be handled for Windows 10 Home users.

Chris

If you have a screen and keyboard you like to use then ditch your PC - just go for the small Apple Mini - you know it makes sense. Once you've used one you'll never touch a PC again.

http://www.apple.com/uk/mac-mini/specs/

Are we made of money do you think LT?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    Beware some of the "FREE" versions of Windows 10 are only free for one year, (mainly OEM versions, ones that come with your computer and you haven't purchased "legally") you will then need to buy a licence to continue use,...
    As with a lot of Windows 10 scaremongering on the web this is misinformation / wrong.

The misunderstanding came about because of the poor wording of an announcement made by Microsoft where they refered to 'Windows as a service' and an incorrect interpretation of a report by Computerworld
    This misinformation has been widely disseminated by scaremongers on the web.

Microsoft have clearly stated in response to this silliness:
    “There will be no charges for updates during the supported phase. There will be no Windows 10 subscription fees during the supported phase.”
    https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...-free-not-free

Automatic updates and upgrades will continue to be free until for the lifetime of Windows 10, it will be supported until 2025.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

OEM versions, the version already on your laptop/PC when you bought it, are fully legal versions and when updated get updated to Windows 10 from Microsoft and get a new 'Product key', so are no longer OEM versions.
    (Unless you bought a dodgy computer off ebay or similar which might have a 'cloned' Windows version).

Windows 10 Home will be free to download and install for Windows 7 home and Windows 8.1 home users for a year.
    If you have windows 8 then you have to update to 8.1 first, again thats free to do.

Business users are always slow to change their systems, they have a lot of money invested and don't want to take any risks on new systems before they are sure that they won't cause any problems.
    The DWP are still running some 40 year old computer systems, how's that for being conservative?

As for Windows 10 being the last ever version of Windows- yes and no; and no again.

This statement stems from the new way that Microsoft will be releasing Upgrades (not updates) to Windows.

Instead of releasing a new version, with a new name or number, every few years they will be Upgrading Windows 10 using the 'Automatic Update' feature.
    Similar to the way they have done with the initial online distribution of Windows 10.
    Also rather than being one big change every few years these will be smaller changes every 6 months or so.
    So you will automatically get a new version but it will still be called Windows 10 (although it may be 10.1, 10.2, etc. thats not clear yet).
    Because everyone with Windows 10 Home will get it automatically everyone will have the same version and so there is no real need for a different name.

There are though already some plans for its replacement in 5 or 10 years time.
    This is tentativley being called "Windows" (no name or number) and it is envisioned that this may well use the yearly licensing business model.
    We will have to wait and see.

There is a lot of tosh being talked about on the interweb about privacy settings and automatic updates with Windows 10.

Yes, as installed Win10 will send a lot of tracking data to Microsoft about what programmes you use and what websites you visit.
    Go into your privacy settings and turn it all off if you don't want to send this data - no problems.
    Faceache and Google track you a lot more than this already and everyone lives with this or turns the settings off.

Windows 10 Home applies automatic updates, er.. automatically.
    This is meant to ensure that everyones machine is up to date all the time.
    Your only choice as a Home user is to delay any updates that need a restart of your computer, so it doesn't restart while you are working.

This is also getting a lot of shouting about on the web, and this time it may be justified.
    There have been Windows updates released in the past that have stopped machines from working properly, or even working at all.
    This is a concern, what if they send out one of these dodgy updates and it junks everybodys machine all around the world?

Users of Windows 10 Pro (business users) still have the option to install updates manually rather than automatically.

As ChrisD points out in his list some old applications and games will be removed, whilst there are be replacements for some others you will have to get a third party programme to replace.
    Microsoft have made a couple of assumptions here:
    USB floppy drives - most USB drives are solid state devices nowadays, who still uses floppys? so MS decided the driver wasn't needed. If you still have floppy drives download a third party driver. (from the drive manufacturer?)
    DVD Player - again most new computer sales are laptops and tablets, and most no longer have a CD/DVD drive.
    If you have a PC or a laptop with a DVD drive its very easy to download and install a player.
    It seems that most are installing the free VCL media player. I have and it works fine.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.en_GB.html
    If downloading it make sure you get the correct one - its different for 32bit and 64bit Windows.
    Last edited by nukecad; 14-08-15 at 09:21.

Just heaving a sigh of relief, my printer works with 10. Was quite apprehensive about that.

Found it difficult to use at first because of my memory problems but repetition helps. Think I have worked out most of it.

Nukecad, sorry to ask but where do I find my privacy settings to switch off the data transfer?

Nukecad, please ignore my question. Wonders will never cease, I have found them.

Click on the windows symbol, bottom left of the screen.
    Then click 'Settings', three up with a little cogwheel.

In the screen that opens you should see 'Privacy' on the right - click on this.

You now get another screen with 'general, location, camera, etc.' on the left, and setting and switches on the right.

Go through each of these 'general, location, camera, etc.' in turn and change the switches to on or off as you want.

There's too much to go through individually, and you may want different settings to mine.

I have turned almost all of it off except for 'Smart Screen Filter' in the General (a security setting) and I've left the 'Feedback & diagnostics' on automatic and full.

As I say you may want different settings, eg. if you use your webcam for Skype or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Are we made of money do you think LT?
    There's no reason why a disabled person on IRESA couldn't apply for a grant and get it FREE!

All you need to do is a bit of homework, fill out an application and put a simple 'business case' forward that meets the funders objectives.

Think in terms of outcomes like
    - it would improve your mental health and well-being
    - it would help your skill base
    - it would help improve your chances of gaining employment

Think in terms of how this computer would 'benefit' your situation for the better.

Possible funders . . . http://www.disability-grants.org/grants-uk.html