Thread: PIP should I request a home visit?

Question PIP should I request a home visit?

I've been asked to attend a "consultation" to assess me for PIP (I have been on DLA for many years) at a Capita centre which is difficult to access, i.e. no parking available, in a city centre. My friend can drop me off at the centre, park and then come back to accompany me to the medical, or we could go by taxi.
    I'm claiming for mobility problems because I have ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which means that I can do this sort of thing for very limited amounts of time, and not every day because it makes me so tired. I have rest beforehand and recover afterwards.
    Do you think it undermines my case if I attend the centre? In some ways I would prefer it to a home visit, which can feel very intrusive, and it would get it over with quickly as the appointment is 10 days away, but I always feel paranoid about turning up walking and appearing to have no visible problems, yet I'm poleaxed for the most part of every day by fatigue.

Hi, I completed the PIP2 form (transfer from DLA to PIP), presume from what I put on my application - they did a face2face home visit - I didn't request it - it was done automatically.

10 days is quite short notice - but no harm in asking - explain your reasons - if nothing else they should provide a taxi to and from your home to the assessment.

Thanks, I'm still thinking about the pros and cons!

if your mobility directs any aspect of your claim (i.e you need points for getting out and about) then definitely request a home visit. They could penalise you for making the effort to get there no matter how difficult it is for you. The dwp are sneaky and have all kinds of traps and tricks. i wouldnt risk it,.

i didnt want a home visit either. My flat was an absolute state the day the assessor came. But i was ill so didnt care and didnt apologise or even make an effort. in fact i was very rude and accused him of looking down his nose at me.

like i said i was unwell at the time. i was awarded pip and a lot higher than id ever thought i would.

i have agarophobia and each time i have got to an esa medical in town they have scored me zero. Three appeals i have been through with them. Last time i put in a complaint about this and refused to attend because i just physically couldnt.
    i was awarded the esa.

if something is difficult for you then it is. i see lots of people on here trying to meet the demands of the dwp. But i would suggest being careful about this because it can contradict your claim.

if you physically cant attend an assessment they cant just refuse your claim and leave it at that. They would be forced to assess you some other way, i,e a home visit.

i dont go to esa appointments now either. They havent called me since last award but my doctor wrote a letter for them saying i have agarophobia, social difficulties etc. He implied these are REAL conditions and form part of my claim for assistance from dwp, and therefore appointments need to be arranged in a way thats accessible for me.

i dont know how much weight this will carry when i am called. i shall have to wait and see. But if i cant attend their appointment then i really cant. i would have to risk my benefits being stopped like before.

good luck and i hoipe you have a good outcome.