Thread: ESA Entitlement

Exclamation ESA Entitlement

My partner is on Disability and receiving ESA. I work 10 hrs a week and receive Child Benefit, Child Tax Credit, Housing/Council Tax Benefit and Carers Allowance. I know Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit will stop in September for my 19 yr old son who will be leaving full time education next week. I also have a 15 yr Daughter. My son is looking for an Apprenticeship. My question is... Does anybody know if we will still be entitled to ESA when my son gets paid for his Apprenticeship. We did phone ESA and they said as long as he is NOT paying us rent (which he won't be) then we will still get it, but my partner has been told that , that information is wrong as they will class the Apprenticeship as income. Does ANYBODY know the answer... We will be going to CAB to find out.

Your son's income should not stop your partner receiving his ESA, but if it is income based and at present your son is included in the claim as a dependent, the ESA will be reduced as your partner will no longer be entitled to claim for your son now he is an independent adult.

Income based ESA is not affected by a non dependent's income (your son will be a non dependent). It would be affected by a lodger but not by a member of your family.

What might be affected is your HB and CT support as non dependent deductions can be made.

Since you are receiving Carer's Allowance (for your husband?) then he will be on the qualifying benefit so that no non dependent deductions will be made.

REad this:

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/50..._tax_support/3

It is income based but not sure if the children are included in the claim, although we did have to tell them on the form, so you could be right.
    Thanks for replying noisynoodle
    Last edited by pussykat; 06-13-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Thank you pmlindyloo your reply and the link was very helpful. We will have to contact ESA Wednesday when my son leaves school, so hopefully they will tell us the same info. But we think we will talk to CAB anyway. Thanks again

children are not included on an ESA award,you are meant to get child tax credit for them, there is only a single or couples claim for esa.

non/dependents are applicable to housing benefits.

Slipmaster... I do get Child Tax Credit. When he leaves school i know CTC will be reduced as i still have a 15 yr old.