Thread: Disabled parking

Wink Disabled parking

I do have disabled curtesy parking supplied by the local council but to get to it i have to walk across a roundabout and it is under a large oak tree which drops branches,and acorns all over the bay which is like walking on marbles which did not bother me but things have got a lot worse medically and cant walk very far and have fallen over twice already.
    A closer bay became available and i asked to take over the bay as it will be a lot easier,i made an application to take over the bay,which my neighbour had for her disabled husband who unfortunately passed away two years ago,i made the application and the neighbour made an objection stating she did not want a disabled bay there just a normal parking bay,although she does not even have a car how petty and vindictive can some people be.Still waiting for councils decision but i feel they will find in her favour we will wait and see.

My understanding was that a disabled parking space is for the use of any blue badge holder. Therefore ownership doesn't need to be transferred as exclusive rights to the bay don't exist.

Secondly, the use of that bay by non disabled drivers is only advisory unless accompanied by a blue badge sign at the side of the road. Most residential disabled bays don't have the accompanying blue badge sign.

Your local council will have to consider both sides of the argument, however access for disabled is likely to be given priority over access for non disabled.

Its not actually specified whether your neighbour has any disability herself. Just because she doesnt have a blue badge, doesnt mean she doesnt have a disability. If multiple people support her, using multiple vehicles then a blue badge would only cover 1 of those vehicles. An example of this could be if her adult children take it in turns to help her with her shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by carl30 View Post
    My understanding was that a disabled parking space is for the use of any blue badge holder. Therefore ownership doesn't need to be transferred as exclusive rights to the bay don't exist.
    You've hit the nail on the head here.

Depends on whether it's permit only parking bay. OP hasn't made it clear what type of parking bay she is talking about.

You should definitely stand your ground on this one! You deserve an easy-to-access parking space close to where you live.