Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking the DWP to task

Taking the DWP to task

My last 2 interviews with the JCP resulted in statements that ' I should be receiving ESA income related.

On the first interview a I phoned DWP during the interview.
    On the second interview a month the details were sent HOTT to DWP with a call the next day that info was with a decision maker.

In each instance I provided them with evidence of my bank statements, saving and capital, (below 6000), and that the local authority Direct Payments was NOT a means tested income, or capital.

3 weeks later, nothing so I call them again, only to be told, AGAIN, that I should receive a phonecall today, before 3 PM..

All this after previously requesting a Reconsideration (as per their own letters and wording)

I'm a bit lost at what to do if they don't come forward and reinstate my ESA this time.

My question is, has anyone had any experience in taking the DWP to task in this sort of situation.

What happened at the reconsideration? Have you had a decision and if so when was that? If you were refused at reconsideration then there are only two ways to get back on to ESA: either by a successful appeal which should be lodged within one month of the failed reconsideration or by making a completely new application for ESA if it's too late to appeal.

I received no information after the reconsideration, and after the phonecall today I was told they needed the last 12 months of my bank details as they were still claiming I had over 16000 pounds and now wanted to know HOW I spend my money.

Which I CAN provide but this is the third time they've seen my financial situation including all accounts and statements and previously asked for 3 months, which has been provided at every interview in JCP.

They are playing cat and mouse with me, and I've come to the point where I'm thinking of seeking professional legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingKidney View Post
    I received no information after the reconsideration, and after the phonecall today I was told they needed the last 12 months of my bank details as they were still claiming I had over 16000 pounds and now wanted to know HOW I spend my money.

Which I CAN provide but this is the third time they've seen my financial situation including all accounts and statements and previously asked for 3 months, which has been provided at every interview in JCP.

They are playing cat and mouse with me, and I've come to the point where I'm thinking of seeking professional legal advice.
    Just a thought - would it be a good idea to have two separate bank accounts. One for general use and one for Direct Payments. That way they can see what you need to spend on disability related stuff.

I'm sure that even spending money on a good holiday is allowed as it maintains your well-being!

I always thought DP had to go into a separate account anyway.

It does here doesn't it beau.
    I do daughters D.P payments and when she was initially awarded them she had to open an account just for the D.P to be paid in.
    by the way beau, not sure if you have D.P's but if you do, have you had a letter saying you no longer have to send the paper work to county Offices?
    Sea Queen

SQ I don't have DP, the co-funding was more than I pay for help privately.

Ahh ok beau, it's that I think it maybe to do with paring back as in cutting down staff's work thus saving money
    The letter said as I had completed the D.P's to a high standard over the time daughter has had them I don't need to submit the paper work but still do it and save it for a yearly inspection of one or two random months.
    Saves me a stamp every month
    Sea Queen

A couple of years ago they wanted £22.50 co-funding for 1/2 hours help at swim school just to help me get dry and changed. I now give my friend a little to help there. I also pay a cleaner privately and have a carer each morning who is on hand throughout the day should I need anything. She has been known to have to come and pick me up off the floor and always attends appointments with me. Luckily she only lives a couple of minutes away so it is an ideal arrangement for us both.

DP HAS to go into seperate bank account. LA way of ensuring you dont spend it. its totally & ONLY for social care