Thread: osteoarthritis of the back

osteoarthritis of the back

Good afternoon all,
    just wondering if anyone on here has osteoarthritis of the back, my Doctor said i have early stages of this ...i have complained about this pain for 5 years now to only have it sorted now ..it started with my Doctor telling me i have got Sciatica, after the 5 years and a new Doctor i was given physo which did not help just made me worse.

I have trolled over the net to find out about this and i still dont understand what this means,
    My Doctor has put me on Gabapentin 300mg 3 a day for the next 4 weeks till my MRI comes back im hoping this will be soon , im also taking co-codamol which i find not great might as well take smarties , i find the same with Tramadol i just cant find anything to get rid of the pain,
    So has anyone have this ? what can i expect ive been told there is no cure just pain manegment which im waiting on as the Physo has passed me on to this,
    i work 16 hours a week and i just dont want to lose this as it gets me out of the house and until last October i would not leave the house due to panic attacks so thats one hurdle i have sort of got over.
    sorry to go on but im in limbo on what to expect
    Cheers Sharon

Hi Sharon ..I had x-rays and MRI/CAT scans of my back and was told that I have fractures of my vertebrae and a bulge at the base of my spine with a 'bend' in it too...also told I have arthritis of my spine. Have sciatica and numb feet and left leg is numb too,which I was told was the result of the fracture to the vertebrae. The pain in my back is ongoing..I don't take pain killers ...I just put up with it as I am going through a lot just now with systemic sclerosis which is not, as yet, being treated..and it has affected my lungs quite seriously so I am not too good just now. I sympathise with what you are going through and hope you get some relief.

Quote Originally Posted by pixieg1970 View Post
    i have got Sciatica, after the 5 years and a new Doctor i was given physo which did not help just made me worse.

My Doctor has put me on Gabapentin 300mg 3 a day for the next 4 weeks till my MRI comes back I'm hoping this will be soon , I'm also taking co-codamol which i find not great might as well take smarties. There is no cure just pain managment which im waiting on as the Physo has passed me on to this,
    Hi Sharon - I feel for you as I've had the same issues for a while.

The sciatic nerve can really cause very acute pain in your buttock and leg. Gabapentin is a neuropathic pain killer - I was prescribed that too but it can't cut the mustard for stabbing pain like sciatica.

I visited the pain clinic and had steroid injections in my back that do work for 3 or 4 months. Presently I'm having a course of 'traction' once a week in my lumber region.

I've had an MRI scan of my lumber region that shows I have bony growths where the nerves come out between the vetebrae that causes the pain when the nerve is squeezed.

Things that helped me -
    - massage of lower back
    - traction to a degree
    - just time - the pain will die down slowly
    - steroid injections in either back muscle or between vertebrae
    - cycling relieves pain as does modest swimming

Lastly, if nothing else works they may look into surgery.

Hope this helps a bit - you are not alone.

Thanks all,
    im just waiting on my mri to come back , got dr appointment tomorrow at 3pm so hoping i can get something sorted ...i work in a corner shop part time to keep me active but im finding this hard now with all the bending just moving around ...i just cant wait to get home and lie down ..i have no energy and tired all the time now just wish there was a magic pill to take ....or something to block the pain,