Thread: ESA disability and severe disability premium advice sought

ESA disability and severe disability premium advice sought

Hi all
    i have searched the forum and can't find the answer to my question and also have been on the website for ESA and i never really understand what it means so i am hopijg someone on here will be able to give me some advice

So my question and a bit of background as follows

I have peripheral neuropathy and chronic pain caused by spinal cord tumour removal, Pituitary failure, osteoporosis and more recently MS.

After the MS diagnosis and since my heakth has deteriorated i asked for my DLA to be looked at. At the time i was getting high rate mobility and low rate care. When i phined them to uodate they said they would send me the paperwork for DLA changes as currently in my area it is still DLA and not PIP,

So they have just approved and amended my claim so that i still get the high rate mobility component and now the middle rate care.

I also get ESA Contribution based and i am in the support group.

Now my question is, does anyone k ow if i would be entitled to the disability premium or severe disability premium for my ESA?
    I live with my parents, it is their home. My dad is registered blind and gets ESA and DLA at high rate mobility and middle rate care. My mum is his carer and claims carers allowance.

From the documents i have seen and i might be wrong but it looks like my dad wouldnt be classed as a non dependant as he is registered blind? And would my mum also not be classed as a non dependant as she is my dads carer?

Really hope someone will be able to advise on this.

Thank you so so much
    Rachel

Hi

I was in a similar situation to you...

I also live with my parents and was also getting CB ESA (Support Group) like you. In December 2014 i filled in a ESA 1 form and 2 weeks later i got a letter from DWP to say i was entitled to the Income Related EDP (Enhanced Disability Premium).

I did a bit more research on the net and discovered i should have been receiving EDP from the start of my migration from IB to ESA (Support Group) in July 2012 but DWP only check new ESA claims for both CB & IR entitlement and those migrating from benefits like Income Support or Incapacity Benefit get put on Contribution Based ESA only which is an error by the DWP.

I wrote a reconsideration letter Jan 2015 and a few months letter received a letter confirming i was correct and that £1318.65 of backdated EDP had been paid in to my account to cover period of 26 July 2012 to 26th Nov 2014.

From what you have wrote i would say you are entitled to EDP or (Disability Income Guarantee) as it's called now of £15.75 a week. Get a ESA 1 form from your local Jobcentre or print it off the net but it's 50 pages though. EDP should be backdated to the start of your ESA Support Group award.

As for SDP i think you have to be living on your to get that.

Good luck
    Last edited by MalvernGuy; 07-09-2015 at 07:17 PM.